Member only Caches?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Are Member caches better than normal caches?

Poll ended at 13 August 08 10:18 pm

Yes
6%
No
40%
I am a member but have not ever seen one or done one.
54%

Total votes: 48

Jeremy Grist

Member only Caches?

Post by Jeremy Grist » 14 July 08 10:18 pm

Now I am not a member yet, but I was just wondering if there are any member only caches in Australia (or Tasmania).
Because I know people who are members and they have never seen one before.
I was also wondering if anyone has ever done one, are they any better than normal caches and are there many around?
Thanks From Jeremy

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 14 July 08 10:43 pm

Normally they are not a lot better but the premium cache option is more often than not used as a tracking option after a cache has been muggled as it gives the owner an extra page that shows who has logged in and viewed the page.<P>There was a great members only cache down at the bay called "TB Motel on the Bay" but it was muggled. This is a shot of the muggled cache..<P>Image<P>This security was added after it had been muggled previously.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 14 July 08 10:51 pm

From the Groundspeak subscribe area, Why should i pay for Membership:

==============================================

Member Only Caches
Some caches are only available to Premium Members. This has been a request of many geocachers who want to put more energy into designing a cache for dedicated geocachers. As the cache owner, you can make any of your caches "subscriber only" so folks will need a subscription to seek it out. (Note: Member Only caches may not be any better than public geocaches. Each cache is managed by its cache owner.)

==============================================

There are 44 Member Only Caches in Australia (from a quick Pocket Query) so don't expect to see them everywhere. Quite a few were made like that due to security concerns. There are none in Tasmania BTW.

There is no need to make a cache a MOC in 99.99% of cases.....

mm

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 15 July 08 2:12 pm

Wow, there is a whopping 1 in Queensland.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 July 08 10:07 pm

The only real justification I can see is if you want to reward those who are prepared to pay for the site (why you would want to is a totally different argument that I am not starting). <p>In which case I can see a justification for making it Members Only for the first few finds then opening it up to the rest of the plebs :)

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 16 July 08 12:19 am

richary wrote:The only real justification I can see is if you want to reward those who are prepared to pay for the site (why you would want to is a totally different argument that I am not starting).
As big_matt mentioned it can be used when a cacher has had caches muggled (eg Tangles) and suspects the culprit is using the geocaching.com website to target their caches. Seems some vandals also don't think its worth coughing up $US3 a month to make their hobby easier... :lol:
In a Geotalk interview with Philma it was mentioned that he listed a MOC because it was a fairly dangerous location and he didn't want inexperienced people attempting it. Lots of brand new enthusiastic cachers buying Premium Memberships however...

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 16 July 08 5:20 pm

zactyl wrote:Lots of brand new enthusiastic cachers buying Premium Memberships however...
I personally had a premium membership prior to my first find. I suspect as you say that this is somewhat common.