Caches on or under Bridges

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Caches on or under Bridges

Post by HMAS MB » 13 July 08 8:06 pm

In the early days one of the placement rules for caches was "Not on or under Bridges". Now of late the rule seems to have been relaxed.

Today I saw something that is of a concern, but not to Geocaches, but to Main Roads. We found a cache under a bridge that as a explosives tech I could concievably put enough explosives in to render that bridge useless. And the problem is that given modern concerns a large enough cache "MIGHT" be mistaken for a IED (Improvised Explosive Device). If so the authorities would render it safe. And to do that they use a shotgun attached to a robot. Some you can imaging what would happen to the cache. And with a stash note we get the blame and more resrictions placed on us.

Now I have seen micro caches on bridges, and they are not an issue as they are far to small to be of any danger.

So what is the general opinion. Am I over reacting ( remember I am ex Military so I have a different outlook), or is it a valid concern that needs to be addressed.

I am not trying to stop bridges being used as some have wondeful locations. But I think we need to have a policy of some sort.

I think micro's are the answer but that is my opinion.

HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 13 July 08 8:16 pm

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

No such thing as common sense. Because we are all different and what might be common to you will not be common to me.
Will it cause unnecessary concern? - Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not place your cache in any location where it might be confused with something more dangerous.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 13 July 08 8:45 pm

Not a big concern in this country. We're not quite as jumpy as they are in the US, where the bomb squad does attend a cache every so often. Certainly better to avoid it though in high traffic areas, where cachers may be observed ducking under bridges.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 July 08 9:52 pm

*moved to a more appropriate forum section: the GCA senate area is set up for issues relating to the running of the GCA site, not geocahing ethics in general*

That said, there's been all kinds of caches globally that have been treted as an IED's..... some have been containers under bridges etc, but silly things like plastic containers under bushes have been 'defused' by the authoroties.
Even when common sense is applied, theres always someone else with less common sense who will over-react :lol:

The type of cache that concerns me more are the ones where people use a Microcontroller or a PIC or some other form of battery/wire/circuit board type setup... they can ONLY be a cause of concern to the uninitiated (as cool as I think some of them are....)

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 14 July 08 12:19 am

CraigRat wrote:The type of cache that concerns me more are the ones where people use a Microcontroller or a PIC or some other form of battery/wire/circuit board type setup... they can ONLY be a cause of concern to the uninitiated (as cool as I think some of them are....)
But even leaving batteries as swaps will get a cache blown up when the bomb robot see them in the xray. :roll:

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 14 July 08 12:48 am

I tend to look at the bridge itself and make a decision based on the likelihood of muggles who still have their "be alert, not alarmed" magnets on the fridge getting suspicious.

So, somewhere near the road on a major highway bridge, especially near a major city, will make me ask more questions and, possibly, ask to have it put somewhere else.

Country bridges or placements that are well out of sight of passers-by worry me less.

As always, I have to rely on the common sense of cache placers, who hopefully have a bit of a think about what it'll look like to muggles when someone's searching for their cache.
Sadly, there's enough occasions when this sense isn't at all common...

Much as I love ammo cans and admire the durability of PVC pipe caches, neither are suitable for 'sensitive' areas like near airports or major bridges. A clear plastic clip-lock container full of $2 shop trinkets is just soooo much less threatening!

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 14 July 08 1:59 am

theUMP wrote:A clear plastic clip-lock container full of $2 shop trinkets is just soooo much less threatening!
...unless it is wrapped in a black plastic bag :roll:

I opened a bag of doggie doo last week at a cache site. I've been geocaching in Queensland too long.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 July 08 7:02 am

fehrgo wrote: I opened a bag of doggie doo last week at a cache site. I've been geocaching in Queensland too long.
Like yuk :oops: :oops:

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 14 July 08 7:51 am

Can someone explain this black plastic bag reference that keeps coming up in the forums but I have no idea about?

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 14 July 08 10:34 am

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:Can someone explain this black plastic bag reference that keeps coming up in the forums but I have no idea about?
In Queensland some like to hide their caches inside plastic bags :shock:

Maybe it keeps the cane toads out :roll:

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 14 July 08 2:20 pm

We've noticed a tendancy for Canadian caches to be wrapped in plastic bags too, maybe it keeps the mooses out.

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 14 July 08 4:12 pm

Maybe micros, or small, clear caches only would be a sensible guideline for placement on larger bridges. I would think, though, that a footbridge in a park is unlikely to be a target for terrorists with large bombs, and therefore *should* be an acceptable place for a cache.

I really hope that black plastic bags never become popular in Victoria. :?

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Dynamite!!

Post by If » 14 July 08 4:56 pm

Yep! I have to agree. Hiding suspicious packages on, under or near major bits of infrastructure is just asking for your cache to be robotically blown up :lol:
For heavens sakes, use innocent looking containers in these circumstances people
:)
As for plastic bags, nice to see some fellow cachers who hate them. I've said it before and I'll say it again " They're a cheap substitute for a quick coat of paint; which will only last a week at best before being holed and becoming LITTER :x
Happy caching :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 July 08 10:07 pm

I found one today in southern NSW that had been wrapped in a garbage bag for protection, despite already being a decent Systema container. The garbage bag had fallen apart and I was tempted to remove it (except for being sprung by a muggle at the wrong moment). Acheives absolutely nothing except to add to the concept that caching is littering.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 15 July 08 2:03 pm

richary wrote:Acheives absolutely nothing except to add to the concept that caching is littering.
And the bag additionally obscures just what the package it contains is, further increasing suspicion. Not very many people will think that a painted or clear plastic systema container is dangerous, but wrap it in an opaque bag and place it in an odd place, and it just became a threat.