Anyone have any experience with using Eclipse mint tins?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 July 08 7:14 am

I read on the side where they are made :oops: I did used to like them :cry:

If
10000 or more caches found

Dark matter

Post by If » 18 July 08 5:01 pm

I had a very nasty experience involving Eclipse tins today :(
I'm going to be scarred for life :shock:

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found

Re: Dark matter

Post by Wingaap » 18 July 08 5:22 pm

del - double post
Last edited by Wingaap on 18 July 08 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingaap

Re: Dark matter

Post by Wingaap » 18 July 08 5:22 pm

If wrote:I had a very nasty experience involving Eclipse tins today :(
I'm going to be scarred for life :shock:

:lol: :lol: At least they were not damp inside...or rusty :twisted:

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 18 July 08 8:37 pm

As previously stated, the downside to an Eclipse tin is that it isn't waterproof, so needs to be placed out of the rain. I've found a couple of eclipse caches placed in trees that simply will not protect the contents from the element. As such, they need to be placed in a relatively sheltered spot. (Which reminds me that I need to check on one of my eclipse caches... :roll: )

The benefits are that they provide a sturdy container for a micro hide and are good for magnetising to attach to steel objects.

They can be painted (there is a black one by the Brisbane River that is well camoflaged) to fit in with their surroundings.

If you are using magnets, I highly recommend the ones out of a computer HDD and a tube of tarzan's grip.

As also stated above, it would be best to make your own logbook that will fit in the tin, and be able to be easily removed.

The silica gel sachet idea is a good one - I think I'll add them to the two eclipse caches that I've hidden.

In the end, I'd prefer to use an ammo box :D, but when size matters, Eclipse tins are OK.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 18 July 08 10:25 pm

<p>
I have used a couple - they are good in inner city locations where it can be very hard to find a hide of a decent size.
<p>
No one has mentioned yet the lip at the top of the tin which is the reason why it is hard to get (little) log books out - they catch on the lip all the time. That is why I always put the log in a little clip - extraction then is much easier. The lip can't be shaved off or the lid doesn't close properly.
<p>
I also always paint them both for disguise and for protection.
:mrgreen:

Team TnW
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

'hairy lemon' containers

Post by Team TnW » 25 July 08 1:23 am

we as working parents live and survive on hairy lemons, berocca's or the like - has anyone used these containers? The lid seems to seal very well, just not sure how they would weather..........

zactyl

Re: 'hairy lemon' containers

Post by zactyl » 25 July 08 11:37 am

willhumpa wrote:we as working parents live and survive on hairy lemons, berocca's or the like - has anyone used these containers? The lid seems to seal very well, just not sure how they would weather..........
They certainly seem ideal, with a built in silica gel packet and all! Unfortunately, they don't keep the water out very well, but they're great in a sheltered spot, and you can fit a pretty decent sized log in there if you roll up a notebook, with plenty of room for a cut down pencil.

Huurtle

Post by Huurtle » 30 July 08 12:01 pm

Having used many ourselves, and found many also... We can say with some sort of experience.....DON'T USE folded up paper as the log, no matter how tempting!<br>
You can get cheap notebooks from the supermarket or $2 shop that can be cut down easily to fit, then you get 3-4 out of each notebook too!<br>
The Ikea pencils don't quite fit, but nothing that side cutters can't fix!<br>
Last but not least, the attachment method.... Magnets!
In our inexperienced of use of Eclipse containers stage, I was glueing the HDD magnet on the outside, which is good as leaves more space inside
BUT cachers had problems getting them off the structure! So most cachers here, if not all now, put the HDD magnet on the inside...
Hope this helps...
PS: Keep a small long nosed plier in the caching bag, for those logs that are just paper, or been put in backwards! (Leave the spiral at the top, it aids in removal of log)
Cheers

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 01 August 08 8:55 am

Having found my first eclipse tin cache (hello TeamHurtle) since putting this query here, I was able to see first hand the advantages/disadvantages and tricks required if using this sort of container.

trunksnsuch

how to make logs easier to extract

Post by trunksnsuch » 17 August 08 7:23 pm

I found a couple :shock: of these cache containers in Queensland recently and the easiest to extract (I think one of wingaap's) had a "handle" wrapped around the top of the spiral bound log book. Great idea. Otherwise they are a pain to get the log book out of.

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 19 August 08 7:17 pm

mundoo wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Apart from that are the actual mints any good?
My friend loves the cinnamon ones, only ones she has found that she likes.
Urr....Cinnamon i don't like any of them...why don't you use M&M minis tins, thre great gecaches!!