FTF hunts - your thoughts

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

What do you think of FTFs (first to finds)

Poll ended at 23 July 08 10:12 pm

Love them - can't wait to get them
23%
Fun - great to find, but I don't yearn for them
53%
OK - nice reward if I stumble across one
19%
Groan - leave it to others
4%

Total votes: 90

The Spindoctors

FTF hunts - your thoughts

Post by The Spindoctors » 09 July 08 10:12 pm

I'm appearing on the next Cachers of the Round Table, which will be discussing FTFs.

I have my thoughts, but I would be interested what other Aussies think.

Fire away.

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 09 July 08 10:56 pm

The game is whatever you make it...You play it however you want.

FTFs just add another dimension - something else to add to the child-like fun of play.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 July 08 11:25 pm

Back before I became a reviewer, we had periods of fairly keen FTF hounding, and it added a little frisson of urgency that isn't usually part of geocaching.

Rushing out to traditionals and basic multis is less satisfying, as it's really the luck of the email update period and geography that determines how soon you can get there.

Tricky puzzles and mega-multis are more fun, because you know that your arch-rivals are also sweating over the puzzle or the waypoints and the clock is ticking!

Many of my favourite caching anecdotes involve the challenge of a FTF race, especially the ones that we got to first!

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 July 08 11:45 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: Many of my favourite caching anecdotes involve the challenge of a FTF race, especially the ones that we got to first!
<P>Some of our funniest moments in caching have come from FTF runs.<P>We don't have to run out for each one but since the move to Canberra we have enjoyed the friendly competition that exists. It adds a new element! <P>It also is a chance to catch up with the locals. We have had discussions with cachers for quite a while at the site of a FTF.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 10 July 08 12:19 am

I don't get much opportunity for caching at the moment, but the chance of a FTF will have me making a slight detour on the way to or from work.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 10 July 08 7:56 am

After some initial excitement in the FTF hunt I must admit I am a bit over it now. I agree with Papa Bear Left that something like a challenging puzzle that you can nab as a FTF after some heavy brain work does still give a warm fuzzy feeling. A simple traditional now won't get me out of bed on a cold dark night :D.<p>
I think the shine of a FTF dissapeared a whilst ago, particularly, in my area when it was the same (1-2) cachers putting hides out at then it was the same (1-2) cachers finding them. I personally felt like I may have been 'cutting the other cachers lunches' so too speak and felt guilty not giving them the chance to have a FTF if that is what they chose to do. There have been a couple of new caches nearby that have taken a few days for the FTF to be claimed though.
Personally, I think the FTF race is another way of numbers taking the priority over the journey. That's not the reason why I/we cache. I don't find a log that just contains 'my 176th FTF!' very interesting to read. Then, like has been noted many times on the forum for many different topics, cachers chase caches for different reasons. Whatever rocks your boat.<p>
That's my 2c worth...can I have change?
Cheers.

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 10 July 08 8:44 am

Shhhhh, don't tell Mr Router about this thread, he'll be dissapointed he wasn't first to post ;)

FTF's a fun, you don't have the benefit of previous finder's logs to make it easier, but we don't go out after them like there is no tomorrow. With our caching somewhat decreasing and our area being fairly well cached, a FTF hunt for us means a drive, something the we just don't have time for any more.

1st lady

Diadem
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Diadem » 10 July 08 10:49 am

As others have said they can be fun. Especially beating the very competitive FTF crowd in Canberra on a puzzle cache :twisted:. As with other FTF sought the heart was pounding as I headed out to find a cache not found for several days. I also realised a FTF still feels good when I looked at a cache where I was FTF and being annoyed someone had subsequently posted a find on the net dated earlier than mine.

More recently I'm finding that waiting to the initial rush is over enables a relaxing hunt and more time to enjoy the general experience itself. (If the cache survives the initial rush).

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 July 08 11:42 am

Back in the good old days when there were only a few geocachers in NE Vic if a cache popped up during the week it was a simple matter to head out the following weekend and grab the FTF

The first cache I found was also my first FTF 8) ... and it had been in place for 35 days :shock:. Since them I've snaffled another 73 FTFs, the most satisfying definitely being Catherine's Cradle which took over a year, two attempts and about 40 hours of walking all up to find :P

With the growth in the caching communities in Shep and Albury/Wodonga these days anything beyond a 50km radius of Benalla will usually be found before I could get to it

These days I have to be in the right place at the right time to go for a FTF ... but a blank logbook still has a certain je ne sais quoi :wink:

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 10 July 08 2:32 pm

Sometimes I will join the race to a FTF on an "urban easy" if it's not too far out of my way. There is a thrill in the FTF, but if you are second, then it's just another cache.

On the other hand the best FTFs tend to have been out there for a long time and you need to make a big effort to get them. These are usually the caches that end up with very few logs ever, but they are worthwhile for the experience, and I would have made the effort to do them anyway, made all the more special by it being a FTF.

I consider one of my greatest caching moments was a FTF on a cache unfound for 3 1/2 years in India. Now that was a thrilling find.

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 10 July 08 3:35 pm

Ive had a few FTF's, they can be fun!....

But for real fun at the FTF hunt read the first few posts in this cache :shock:

GCYBTK

Ozzie-Jeeper

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

FTF FTF FTF FTF FTF

Post by If » 10 July 08 5:59 pm

FTF's are always delicious :)
Especially the ones a long way from home, or the high star rating caches 8)

Any cacher who's seen my geomobile knows what I think of FTF's :lol:

pirate 63

Post by pirate 63 » 10 July 08 6:49 pm

aaarrgh!
first to plunder is ye' pirates favorite way to play this obsession! :lol:
with a few landlubber cachers in ye' area we 'ave had a lot of laughs chasing 'em! :twisted:
best day of first to plunder's was 15 in one scoop!
now on FTP#202, ye' ftp's are still has sweet has ye' first one!

tronador

Post by tronador » 10 July 08 6:50 pm

They're fun but I'm not that obsessed to get up at some ungodly hour to go caching or go out in the middle of the night. My FTF's are basically pure luck. Right place ,right time. That's all! :lol: :lol: :D :D

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 10 July 08 9:47 pm

Not a lot of a chance to go caching for me currently, let alone a FTF, BUT, there is a new cache about 400km away, that if it is still unfound Monday, will be worth an extra 200km approx trip to grab. I may well then detour another hundred K or so off track for another cache on the return journey.

Cheers
Bundy