push to talk

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

push to talk

Post by Mix » 15 May 04 6:43 pm

this could be good when out caching...
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 90915.html

Phlosten

Post by Phlosten » 15 May 04 8:47 pm

cool, another thing to add to our phone bill

wonder what the going rate is (read 'flag fall')

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 16 May 04 7:51 am

I'll pass. I'll use normal walkie-talkies which can be used inside and outside telstra's mobile area for free.

Dooghan

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 16 May 04 10:40 pm

Nokia actually has a phone (available in europe) that has a UHF radio contained in the Phone.

The THR880 I Think it is.

Not available here yet though.........

bmac
100 or more tracks walked

Why?

Post by bmac » 17 May 04 3:46 pm

This begs the question of why? Isn't mobile phone a step up from half-duplex communications? Why the backwards move?

bmac.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Why?

Post by Team Stargazer » 17 May 04 5:35 pm

bmac wrote:This begs the question of why? Isn't mobile phone a step up from half-duplex communications? Why the backwards move?

bmac.
I guess it's not the quality that's the main issue here but how it can be used & put to practice.

An "always on" mode & pay for use (talk) time.
Any situation in a area with mobile phone coverage, where a two-way radio would be useful but distance between radios is a problem making the radio useless for example. :?

... just a thought :wink:

Mix

Post by Mix » 22 June 04 1:40 pm

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 23 June 04 6:18 pm

I like to think of PTT as SMS without the thumb dancing. :) It's quicker, more flexible, conveys tone better, and will rake in lots of revenue for service providers. There is, I expect a slight lag compared to UHF since the signal is going into GPRS packets.

- Rog

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 24 June 04 2:07 pm

You may find it interesting to know that PTT conversation is not as distracting to use as a normal full duplex conversation.

Since mobile phone technology was introduced many tests have been conducted and comparisons made on the safety of car comms and their effect on the concentration of a driver.
Mobile phones, at the ear, are the biggest distraction. It's been shown that engaging in conversation this way takes almost 90% of a driver's concentration away from the road. No wonder it's now against the law to talk while driving.
Next comes hands free mobile phone. It has been found that there really isn't a lot of difference, with the conversation still able to take 80% of road concentration away.
Next comes local conversation. You'll lose 60% of your concentration by chatting to your passengers. Probably more if the wife is nagging you. :lol:
Next comes PTT i.e 2 way radio. It is as a much lower distraction. 45%. The reason for this isn't clear but it is theorised that with PTT the driver is in much better control of the pace of a conversation and therefore can meter/share his thoughts much more easily.

Maybe this is the way to go for all Car comms.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 24 June 04 2:12 pm

Interesting stuff. A little PTT button on the steering wheel would be nifty.

- Rog

Dingbats

Post by Dingbats » 25 June 04 10:41 am

Mind Socket wrote:There is, I expect a slight lag compared to UHF since the signal is going into GPRS packets.
You may not even notice the delay. I don't know what the GPRS bandwith constraints are, however if you've used voice over IP (without bandwitch constraints) you'll know that the latency with digitising, segmenting into packets and going through the protocol layers is not noticeable.