Ideas wanted please

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Ideas wanted please

Post by mundoo » 21 June 08 10:44 pm

I have a site in mind for my next cache that is a landmark but there is really no place that I can see to hide a cache.

I am after ideas please. :D

There is no bushes, no trees, no buildings, the area gets mowed semi-regularly. I have looked at the surrounding fencing and there is no holes or nooks or crannies, the fencing is in disgustingly good repair.

I know I can't bury a cache.

I would like to do a clip-lock container but can't really see even a good hide for a micro.

I am hoping others have had similar challenges and can give me ideas on how to solve it.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 21 June 08 11:02 pm

Get an electrical or telecommunications junction box (small size) and screw it to a fence pole..

Put a note in the cache page that you need a screwdriver to open it.

big dazza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by big dazza » 21 June 08 11:16 pm

Team Piggy wrote:

Put a note in the cache page that you need a screwdriver to open it.
I tried that but apparently most people don't read the cache page and some will use whatever weapon is nearby and try to hack there way in.
Cheers,
big dazza.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 22 June 08 12:11 am

If it is a landmark there is nothing you can use to make it the start of a multi? A sign or something similar. Even how many fence posts are in the carpark.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 22 June 08 6:04 am

Are the top of the fence posts accessible, and one of them removable?

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 22 June 08 8:06 am

I don't advocate the hide methods being touted here unless you own the physical feature you are going to attach something to permanently(could be called vandalism by the land manager and authorities), a magnetic cache of some however would be acceptable.

Or as Richary suggested, use come data that can only be found at that landmark as a clue for a multicache and have the physical cache elsewhere, say 161 mts down the access track where a more suitable hiding spot maybe found.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 22 June 08 9:43 am

Vandalism, Rubbishing , Trampling of gardens :D Welcome to geocaching in the eyes of a martyr :!:

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 22 June 08 1:24 pm

richary wrote:If it is a landmark there is nothing you can use to make it the start of a multi? A sign or something similar. Even how many fence posts are in the carpark.
There is no car park but a pull over area/widening of verge.

It is a rural area on a roadside, the council come along a couple times a year with a tractor mower and mow the roadsides.
I don't advocate the hide methods being touted here unless you own the physical feature you are going to attach something to permanently(could be called vandalism by the land manager and authorities), a magnetic cache of some however would be acceptable.
The fencing is private property (that's why it is in excellent condition). There is a Telstra white pillar BUT I know Telstra are there often as the phone reception in that area has major issues (a friend lives up the road). There is also a metallic road sign warning of animals crossing the road over the rise. That sign is on a tall pole and I couldn't see anywhere to actually hide even a magnetic cache. The grass at the base was short as well.

The landmark is on private property and is a big enough feature to not need to go to it as such. Easily viewed from the road.

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 22 June 08 1:43 pm

I saw a cache recently where a long metal wire was provided to assist recovering the cache. Maybe you could hide one of these nearby, and place a magnetic micro high up on the streetsign?

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 22 June 08 2:52 pm

Scroll down to the Galvanized Utility Plate Geocache - might give you some ideas.

What about a length of old-looking pipe stuck against/next to a fence or pole? Could put a lid on it with a micro under. Or is there somewhere to put a big rock or log with a cache concealed within?

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 22 June 08 3:09 pm

Here's some ideas for you:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

If you go to the US Ebay and type in "Geocaching" you will see heaps of stuff people use to hide and disguise caches.

Item number: 190229861405

B.

Richary

Post by Richary » 22 June 08 10:58 pm

mundoo wrote: The fencing is private property (that's why it is in excellent condition). There is a Telstra white pillar BUT I know Telstra are there often as the phone reception in that area has major issues (a friend lives up the road).
<p>Answer number 1. Most Telstra pillars have some lettering or numbering on them. Look at that.
mundoo wrote:There is also a metallic road sign warning of animals crossing the road over the rise.
<p>Even easier for a multi. If animal is a) kangaroo go to here. b) koala go to here. c) wombat go to here.<p>

And so on. A multi does not need to involves maths puzzles. Then find a suitable nearby hiding spot out of muggles view where it safe to pull over and bingo.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 23 June 08 6:10 pm

Why not make the point of interest the A, B or C since that is why you want people to go to that spot. I've seen a sign before but a historic plaque or a unique feature should be the point of interest.

B.

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 24 June 08 12:58 pm

Is there any Armco railing nearby.. there are a few caches up here with magnetic cahes attached to these barriers.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 24 June 08 3:12 pm

ozzie-jeeper wrote:Is there any Armco railing nearby..
No.
Rural road, farmers permapine fencing, telstra pillar, animal sign, short grass, no rocks, landmark and views.

I have to admit I am pleased I asked as you are all giving me ideas and suggestions.

I would not have considered a multi as I haven't attempted one myself to do. I am very much still the drive-by (or extremely short walk) traditional cache hunter of 1/1 difficulty. :oops:

I appreciate the help you are giving.