Attended log on your own events! - POLL

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you / Do you post attended logs on your own events?

Poll ended at 02 July 08 3:27 pm

Yes, I was there so why shouldn't I?
86%
No, I'm happy with the placed stat.
14%

Total votes: 65

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Attended log on your own events! - POLL

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 June 08 3:25 pm

I have noticed that a lot of people post an attended log on their own events yet others do not. To date I have treated it that you get the extra cache hide stat so I have not yet claimed a hide on mine but was interested to hear other people's opinions. <P>I am not looking to point fingers just want to know what is acceptable that is all.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 June 08 3:34 pm

If you were at the event you attended so you should log your attendance whether you were an organiser or not

Logging a find on your own cache is a completely different matter (I've seen finds logged when the owner did a maintenance visit :roll: )

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 02 June 08 4:59 pm

Totally agree with the rhino.

We actually held an event we were unable to attend. (its a harrowing tale involving salmonella as a pizza topping and a 300km drive home that's all I'll say about that).

If you attended why wouldn't you log the event?

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 02 June 08 5:17 pm

rhinogeo wrote:Logging a find on your own cache is a completely different matter (I've seen finds logged when the owner did a maintenance visit :roll: )
Maybe it had suffered from some major cache creep?! :lol: But seriously, accidentally choosing the wrong log type is an easy mistake to make, they probably meant to post a "Note".

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 02 June 08 5:56 pm

In the bad old days before the little "attended event" icon came into being, I wouldn't claim a "find" against an "Event Cache" that I had hosted, cause I was technically the "Owner" of it.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Nit nit nit nit.... I'll have that one

Post by If » 02 June 08 9:12 pm

Aw c'mon. Surely if the oganiser attended the event then they can post an 'attended' log :D
Why should everyone except the organiser (who put in the effort) be able to log a 'find' :lol:
Invariably the organiser of any major event also places a commemorative cache. Why miss out twice ? :shock:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 02 June 08 9:28 pm

Wasn't this done to death a while ago?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 02 June 08 9:41 pm

Who cares, it your game the way you wish to play :shock:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 June 08 10:47 pm

Yes TP it has been discussed a while ago. If I organise an event I will Attend as well. Never had any problems with people whinging about it.

I won't find my own caches, but I think an event is a different kettle of fish. Just because I have organised the park/pub or whatever why should I be denied another tick? Have seen a few found logs against people's own caches from people I wouldn't expect to have done so when visiting TBs. I put it down to accidents. Doesn't worry me anyway.

My numners aren't a competition against anyone else. Just my own stats for my own enjoyment. If someone else has found more, good on them. If someone has found less, they either haven't had the same chances I have to grab them or been caching for less time. Who cares?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 June 08 11:07 pm

I didn't, but there's no reason why anyone else shouldn't.
Play the game you want to play it.

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 June 08 11:09 pm

Team Piggy wrote:Wasn't this done to death a while ago?
Sorry Piggy, I couldn't be bothered spending three days searching old posts so I asked the question. <P> Thanks to everyone else who answered my question, that is a pretty resounding YES!

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 03 June 08 9:53 am

Took 30 secs with the search, heres some further stuff on the topic. Similar results but not as balanced as the past polls.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... log+events

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

At the end of the day, if its about the points log your own caches. If not, dont log them at all.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 03 June 08 2:09 pm

I'd really like to see event caches taken off the find count, especially if it's a purely social get-together.

I like the idea of the cache type, as it's the best way to reach all the local cachers to invite them, but we're starting to see the problem that's been rife in the US for awhile where there's a separate smiley for turning up, for ordering dessert, for helping with the clean-up, and sometimes for each one of the mini-caches placed for the day!

That's just getting silly.

Personally, I log a note if I just had a social time and didn't use the GPSr for anything other than finding the right park.
If I joined in on a time-trial caching experience, then I'll log an attended.
(But if I organised it, I won't)

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 03 June 08 3:16 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:I'd really like to see event caches taken off the find count, especially if it's a purely social get-together.

I like the idea of the cache type, as it's the best way to reach all the local cachers to invite them, but we're starting to see the problem that's been rife in the US for awhile where there's a separate smiley for turning up, for ordering dessert, for helping with the clean-up, and sometimes for each one of the mini-caches placed for the day!

That's just getting silly.
I hadn't realised that that had occurred here :shock:

If anyone tried that on any event I'd organised I'd politely request that additional find (attended) logs be changed to notes but if they failed to comply I'd hit the delete log button :twisted:

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 03 June 08 7:20 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: (But if I organised it, I won't)
<br>This was about my thoughts.<P>
Team Piggy wrote:Took 30 secs with the search, heres some further stuff on the topic. Similar results but not as balanced as the past polls.

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... log+events

http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

At the end of the day, if its about the points log your own caches. If not, dont log them at all.
<br>Again, sorry! I had actually found one of these but missed the ethics of Geocaching as I didn't look back far enough (it was published over 4 years ago)<br>In future I will attempt to search back through the archives, I didn't know it was such a serious offence! :oops: