Non-cemetery tombstones?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ArgusTuft

Non-cemetery tombstones?

Post by ArgusTuft » 29 May 08 3:00 pm

Does anyone have knowledge/photos of graves/tombstones etc. that they have "stumbled" over whilst caching in areas not normally associated with a cemetery? I'm also into Genealogy and there are lots of people who are interested in finding the final "resting place" of lost relatives/ancestors

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 29 May 08 6:26 pm

not exactly, but I did find this

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0709

and later found his grave in the local cemetery.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 29 May 08 7:27 pm

One of my favorite caches Long Marsh has a grave in the middle of nowhere, from when a young man died during the ill-fated dams construction.

It's kind of confronting to see it, and it makes you think.
Heres a piccy from polifil's log of the cache:

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 29 May 08 7:48 pm

I was speaking to a film maker once, who said they had created a fake cemetery in SA for a film, and when finished filming they just left it there.
I really, really wish I knew where that is.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 29 May 08 10:02 pm

A couple to be going on with:
GCGF3H
GC10F5F

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 May 08 11:04 pm

I found one between Broken Hill and Tibboburra a few years back. No cache there, though we had found some that trip. Out in the middle of nowhere. The headstone reads:
<p>
In memory of Eliza Kennedy, aged 32 years, who died 6th January 1886<p>Her charity covereth a multitude of sins<p>I figured maybe she wasn't that popular being in the middle of nowhere (well away from the nearest town) but the Lone Graves website says <p>"Marble headstone at the site of a former hotel at Cobham Lake between Broken Hill and Tibooburra. Reads "In memory of Eliza Kennedy, aged 32 years, who died 6th January 1886". She was said to be the housekeep at the hotel, and suffered from epilepsy. <p>No sign of the hotel nowadays!

rogainer

Post by rogainer » 30 May 08 12:03 am

Stumbled across one in the middle of nowhere while rogaining a couple of years back near Dalveen (north of Stanthorpe) near the Queensland / NSW border. Here :-
S 28 28'45.87"
E 152 1'16.46"

Unfortunately, I can't remember the inscription, but here is a photo of it.
http://www.qldrogaine.asn.au/qraonline/ ... 05-16.html

jabes7
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by jabes7 » 30 May 08 12:40 am

There is a lone grave where I live. Thomas Lucas. An early convict settler I believe.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 30 May 08 1:03 am

rogainer wrote:Stumbled across one in the middle of nowhere while rogaining a couple of years back near Dalveen (north of Stanthorpe) near the Queensland / NSW border. Here :-
S 28 28'45.87"
E 152 1'16.46"

Unfortunately, I can't remember the inscription, but here is a photo of it.
http://www.qldrogaine.asn.au/qraonline/ ... 05-16.html
Thats a great photo, thanks

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 01 June 08 5:52 am

A few from my travels

There are 3 graves beside the road at Dingo in Central Qld (cache coming up there shortly) as well as another 3 in the centre of Dauringa (cache coming up there as well)
Apparently there are a number on private property opposite the Blackdown Tablelands turnoff in CQ as well.
There is a single grave at Bedford Wier (north of Blackwater- already a cache there)
There is a single grave beside the railway line at Fernlees, between Emerald and Springsure (Id like to put a cache there, but its within the railway corridor)
Another single grave on the Laura to Maytown Rd up in far north Qld (Logan Jack rings a bell) and another way out in the digglies between Kalpower Crossing in Lakefield National Park and Wookooka Station, on the way to Bathurst Bay, again up east coast Cape York.
A memorial exists to one of the miners killed in one of the underground coal mine explosions at Moura (his body is still entombed along with his workmates) at Stockyard Point, on the coast north of Yeppoon. Theres also another memorial plaque to a resident nearby. (There is also a cache nearby)
If you do a cache called Beach and BBQ's in Gladstone, there is an early grave in the nearby park.
If you want to talk about about lonely cemetaries, try the old one at Monal goldfields, near Monto in Central Qld, or up at Maytown up on Cape York. There are also relocated gravestones in a wall at Cania Dam, relocated because the cemetary went underwater when the dam filled.

Probably more info than what you wanted, but you get that.

Cheers
Bundy

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 01 June 08 9:56 am

There is one just outside Emu Park, on the Rockhampton - Emu Park Rd. I pull over one day to have a look but the headstone couldn't be read any more. There is also a couple at this cache location GC13D4W

Kiwi Nomad
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Kiwi Nomad » 03 June 08 3:24 pm

I remember seeing on tv once down south a man was found close to death on the side of the road. The date I'm thinking is 1800s from memory. The man was found by a wealthy person who unfortunately could not save him. He was buried where he was found, unknown. The rich man was so unsettled by this person lying burid alone on the side of the road so far from family that he requested to be buried next to him when he died so the unnamed man would not have to remain alone.

Also visited Quail Island in Lyttleton harbour yesterday and there is a grave there of a 25 year old who died of leprosy, sorry didn't note the name down.