Rare-Earth Magnets

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Rare-Earth Magnets

Post by Aushiker » 24 May 08 1:06 pm

G'day

Don't know if this has been posted before but given there has been some interest in magnets I thought I would flag this outfit. In the biking world they are used as a supplier of bike lights (torches) and seem to be okay to deal with.

The prices are USD but they offer free postage.

Click here for what is on offer. There are some other items around the site that might make good swag as well.

Regards
Andrew

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 May 08 8:32 pm

Hmmm. 200mW Green Lasers. Don't think customs would be too happy about those. :shock:

Have bought a couple of things from this site. Case for my Nokia 6110 navigator was $1.70 USD instead of close to $20 here! Lots of cool geeky stuff. Check out the wristwatch mobile phones! So Dick Tracy.

Actually Aushiker you just reminded me that the rare earth magnets I bought from them are still stuck to the fridge. Must do something more constructive with them! :twisted:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 25 May 08 2:13 am

Is there someone who's always beating you to those coveted FTFs?

You need to hide one of these in their geocar somehow...

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 25 May 08 9:54 am

A good tool for crims on the run?

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 25 May 08 7:30 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Is there someone who's always beating you to those coveted FTFs?

<P>What are these designed for? Reps to stop the boss from checking on them? Could be a way to finally beat SS-BJC to a FTF! :lol: :lol:

Rastas000
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rastas000 » 25 May 08 8:16 pm

I purchase my magnets from FRENERGY Magnets.

I have purchased many times and have found him to be good to deal with. At least he is in Australia so I can talk to him!!

It generally is a good idea to purchase as a group to minimise shipping as they are heavy!

Cheers

Bob

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 25 May 08 11:40 pm

Rastas000 wrote:It generally is a good idea to purchase as a group to minimise shipping as they are heavy!
No postage charge from DealExtreme and as far as I can tell they have a good rep.

Andrew

Rastas000

Post by Rastas000 » 26 May 08 7:18 am

No postage charge from DealExtreme and as far as I can tell they have a good rep.
Cool.. I was more remarking on my purchases from Frenergy...

Bob

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 26 May 08 10:00 am

Rastas000 wrote:
Cool.. I was more remarking on my purchases from Frenergy...
Cool. More good options the better I reckon.

Andrew

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 26 May 08 11:23 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Is there someone who's always beating you to those coveted FTFs?

The only scenario I can come up with for using one of those involves stolen cars with built in GPS tracking...

On a side note, magnets from DX are shipped unshielded, which may or may not be in violation of shipping standards. My shipment a few weeks back arrived unscathed, but had obviously attached itself to much equipment along the way.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 27 May 08 2:57 pm

Bonus FTF prize of 6 months jail and $30k fine if i recall too when your caught? :lol:
And that's only if they don't think your a terrorist!
Heeeeelllllllooooooo Gitmo.

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 27 May 08 3:06 pm

fehrgo wrote:

The only scenario I can come up with for using one of those involves stolen cars with built in GPS tracking...

On a side note, magnets from DX are shipped unshielded, which may or may not be in violation of shipping standards. My shipment a few weeks back arrived unscathed, but had obviously attached itself to much equipment along the way.

Well, the obvious scenario if you're a terrorist is to up the power through an amplifier and put them on things you don't want blown up by GPS guided weapons. Or even better put them on helium balloons with a small battery and float above your targets. Or attach to your enemies vehicles with a magnet. :x

And what a fantastic idea for the magnets, just send a couple of hundred through the post in separate packages on the same day and watch the postal system come to a grinding halt.. :x

(...and don't bother flaming me about giving idiots ideas, just because they are idiots doesn't make them stupid. Security by obscurity is not security.)

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 28 May 08 8:55 pm

Zytheran wrote: And what a fantastic idea for the magnets, just send a couple of hundred through the post in separate packages on the same day and watch the postal system come to a grinding halt.. :x
I'm certain the the HK post are very familiar with his packages, given the number that he probably sends out on any given day.

BigON
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found

Post by BigON » 28 May 08 10:26 pm

Probably nearly off topic for this discussion but I have found that the best way to get these rare earth magnets is from old stuffed up hard drives, You just need to dismantle the case and there are usually two excellent often huge magnets in the at the end of the drive arm where the copper coil is. The best place to get the old magnets in my experience is recycling centers, they occasionally get a batch of hard drives seperated from PC's.
These are the sort of magnets that you dont want to get your fingers in between if they snap together, they are usually attached to metal brackets that have significant uses for attaching things to.
These work really great for retrieving dropped tools in hard to reach places with just a length of string through the bracket.