Ftf

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 25 May 08 9:56 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:I recently found a new cache and was the first to write a log in the logbook 8)

When I went to log it online the FTF had been claimed by another cacher (noob) who without a pen :roll: and had left a sticker in the cache (micro) to 'prove' they had been there :shock:

Since the sticker was there, I did not claim the FTF despite my log being the first :?
We've been caught out occasionally with no pen, and we are far from n00bs. Especially with micros and especially if there's no note about needing to bring your own writing implement. On those occasions we've placed a wibble sticker in the logbook and I don't see a problem with that. I wouldn't consider the next person who found the cache who had a pen on them to consider themselves being the first to log it.
I should have been clearer in my previous post

The sticker was a car 'Next Service Due' sticker not affixed to but slid in to the container beside the logsheet

Naturally a 'Found by Team ......' sticker would have been a perspicuous find

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 25 May 08 10:00 pm

Jardry wrote:I'm not happy with a DNF on a FTF when the co-ordinates are out!!

Technically you've "found" GZ according to the co-ords given, but obviously can't write in a non-existent log book. So in the strict interpretation of FTF, it's not a FTF because you haven't been able to document the "find" in the logbook. You win some, you loose some!!
As Geocachers we're there to find the cache not just visit GZ aren't we :?

Or have I been doing something wrong all these years :shock: :P

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 25 May 08 10:02 pm

if your really into the FTF thing (we have played the game) then FTF is what your after. first to sign logbook wins :) if you dont have a pen, a stick and dirt or your own blood will suffice.

There was a bit of a FTF thing going on here for a while which was resolved by increasingly ridiculas micros. Anyone whos been caching in Mt Gambier will know what I am on about

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 25 May 08 10:03 pm

rhinogeo wrote:

Technically you've "found" GZ according to the co-ords given, but obviously can't write in a non-existent log book. So in the strict interpretation of FTF, it's not a FTF because you haven't been able to document the "find" in the logbook. You win some, you loose some!!
As Geocachers we're there to find the cache not just visit GZ aren't we :?

Or have I been doing something wrong all these years :shock: :P
That's why I said you win some, you loose some.
It is frustrating if GZ is incorrect, and because of that, you can say you're unhappy about it, but life goes on, nothing you can do about it, let the cache owner know about it and have it corrected for the next finder.

Jardry

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 25 May 08 10:41 pm

Udderchaos wrote:There was a bit of a FTF thing going on here for a while which was resolved by increasingly ridiculas micros. Anyone whos been caching in Mt Gambier will know what I am on about
Seconded

There may be others out there, but they might not have come out alive, or are still searching :?

Now where is that cache in a vine :D

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 25 May 08 10:45 pm

problem can also be solved by putting out lots of unsolveable puzzle caches.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 26 May 08 12:58 pm

Udderchaos wrote:problem (can) HAS also be solved by putting out lots of unsolveable puzzle caches.
:twisted:
<p>
See a certain Adelaide cache!

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Re: Ftf

Post by Hounddog » 26 May 08 3:32 pm

claeton wrote:who gets the FTF someone who finds and signs first or someone who gets to the area and then logs a note saying they were in the area but could not retrieve the cache
The irony of this is that it's quite often the first to the area of the cache who ends up not finding it for that reason. Sometimes it's just better to let some other sucker do all the hard yards and drop a few clues before jumping in. BTW The record for the quickest FTF on one of the 2 Dogs caches is 35 mins.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 26 May 08 3:35 pm

I scored a FTF inside 15 mins the other week :D

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 26 May 08 5:56 pm

We had a FTF on a cache before it was even published :shock: :twisted: <br>
Log entry <br>
Cache -GC120HK<br> :D :D

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 26 May 08 7:04 pm

The feeling is not the same as to when someone else legitimately beats you to a FTF by logging it 10 minutes before you get there.

Unfortunately, I've been guilty of the same offence, but the FTF'er was able to call and confirm correct co-ordinates and claim their FTF.

Jardry
I'm not happy with a DNF either. My best FTF where the co-ords were out was over 200m away. 8)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 May 08 7:06 pm

Dik: wrote:

The feeling is not the same as to when someone else legitimately beats you to a FTF by logging it 10 minutes before you get there.

Unfortunately, I've been guilty of the same offence, but the FTF'er was able to call and confirm correct co-ordinates and claim their FTF.

Jardry
I'm not happy with a DNF either. My best FTF where the co-ords were out was over 200m away. 8)
Pfffffffft! 1km away for the best FTF for me :-)

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 26 May 08 9:18 pm

Surely one should be able to log a FTF just by using Google Earth. :!: Why waste all that time and fuel traveling to the cache site :?: Not to mention all the effort in actually having to find the cache. :evil:

Who really cares about GZ and the reasons why the cache was placed there :roll:

With most of my caching by geocylce the only FTF's for me are those left up some little hill. :roll: Lucky i love little hills :wink: :D :D :D :D

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: Ftf

Post by tronador » 26 May 08 10:34 pm

claeton wrote:who gets the FTF someone who finds and signs first or someone who gets to the area and then logs a note saying they were in the area but could not retrieve the cache
Personally, I think that claiming a find ( regardless if it is a FTF or not) means that you found and retrieved the cache, opened it and signed the log book in some way.

Seeing the cache and not being able to retrieve it because you are not agile enough, don't have the right equipment, don't know how to open it...........etc etc is not a find in my books.
Some caches are placed with the retrieval or opening in mind.

Retrieving them is half the fun and if the retrieval or opening of a cache is too hard for some well maybe that's what the cache owner had in mind.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

There is nothing like a claim.

Post by If » 27 May 08 7:47 pm

Ah! There's nuttin like a real FTF.
The smell of an unsigned logbook, the look of a cache with it's contents still in their original wrapping and the wonderous experience of treading daintily through the scrub untainted by a geotrail :D
Sheer bliss 8)
Even better if the cache has been left lyin' around undiscovered for a few months :lol:
First name in the book gets the prize in my humble opinion :D