The Well Rounded Cacher

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 23 September 08 2:49 am

Looks like SA is only missing 4 catagories.
4.5/3.5; 5/3.5;4.5/4 and a 5/4.5.
Oh well, looks likes I've worked out what I'm doing in October. :twisted:
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/a ... ty_terrain

The 4/4 Rounded cacher is currently doable without any further placements.

strong-arm
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by strong-arm » 23 September 08 9:51 am

I was just having a read through the rules and I was wondering, if you enter in the 3/3 category and manage to complete that, is it possible to "upgrade" yourself to the 4/4 game with your existing finds/logs and then to the 5/5 game assuming you can complete 4/4?

Sort of like a bronze/silver/gold "wellroundedness" level [:)]

Or do you need to start again if you want to do 4/4 as well?

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 23 September 08 1:57 pm

Thomo wrote:
Craig wrote:
I`ve got a 4.5/3.0 on my list, the closest to home - GCRKQ7 Tantangara ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCRKQ7 ) in NSW,
just to clear this up.

this cache is difficulty 3, terrain 4.5. NOT 4.5/3

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 08 7:38 pm

strong-arm wrote:I was just having a read through the rules and I was wondering, if you enter in the 3/3 category and manage to complete that, is it possible to "upgrade" yourself to the 4/4 game with your existing finds/logs and then to the 5/5 game assuming you can complete 4/4?

Sort of like a bronze/silver/gold "wellroundedness" level [:)]

Or do you need to start again if you want to do 4/4 as well?
What happens (subject to my thinking about it again) is that whatever you claim you get entered into.

e.g. If you only claim 3/3 or lower then you are entered into the 3/3 challenge. If you claim a 4/n or an n/4 you are automatically upgraded to the 4/4 challenge. If you claim a 5/n or an n/5 you are automatically upgraded to the 5/5 challenge.

You cannot delete logs (at this point anyway), so if you claim a 5/1 on the first day and then later decide you only want to be in the 3/3 challenge, er, um, tough luck buster :-)

Claim wisely young padwan.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 08 7:46 pm

Thomo wrote:I think quite a few new caches will be placed out to meet the requirements of the game which would be a good thing, but hopefully the caches won`t be under/over rated just so people can pick up the caches needed.
Beware the rules. To avoid people placing a 5/5 for their "friend" to find, caches you claim MUST be hidden prior to the game commencing. This doesn't stop your friend from placing an easy 5/5 before the game starts, but I'd guess a lot of people will be unhappy if they find it so easy. There's a lot of honesty in the claims, so we trust that you will do the right thing.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 08 7:48 pm

Rikki wrote:Great idea for a competition. It's going to take a bit of coordination between cachers to finish this one. Will be certainly taking a crack at it. I am already tinking twice about doing certain caches before November 1. :)
<br><br>

It might be worth adding the finds by D/T chart in the "View your points" page so we can see at a glance which ones we have claimed.
It should already have been catered for :-)

Craig

Post by Craig » 19 October 08 4:01 pm

caughtatwork wrote:What happens (subject to my thinking about it again) is that whatever you claim you get entered into.

e.g. If you only claim 3/3 or lower then you are entered into the 3/3 challenge. If you claim a 4/n or an n/4 you are automatically upgraded to the 4/4 challenge. If you claim a 5/n or an n/5 you are automatically upgraded to the 5/5 challenge.

You cannot delete logs (at this point anyway), so if you claim a 5/1 on the first day and then later decide you only want to be in the 3/3 challenge, er, um, tough luck buster :-)

Claim wisely young padwan.
Can I request a rethink on this rule? My reasoning is this; suppose a cacher enters the 5/5 challenge but doesn't complete on or two of the combinations (e.g. 5.0/4.5) for whatever reason. Under the current rules, the cacher will have NO recognition, despite having COMPLETELY fulfilled the combinations required for both the 3/3 and 4/4 challenges?

IMO each participant should be awarded the highest challenge that they have COMPLETED. Whilst this may require a bit of extra coding for the organisers, it would make the competition MUCH more enjoyable for all participants, and result in a greater number of caches being found. And isn't that what Caching Games is all about?

Just my 2c :)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 October 08 10:39 pm

I see your point, but I'm afraid I'm going to say no.

You have 3 challenges to choose from. You makes your choice, you takes your chances.

If everyone who tried for the 4/4 didn't get there, but did get to the 3/3, then they might kick someone out of a prize position in the 3/3 challenge.

If you want to do the 3/3 then only do 3/3's. If you think you can aim higher, then your choice needs to made. If you are happy with 3/3 being your well roundedness, then I applaud you. If you want to go harder, then do so, but it can't be at the expense of those who can only do the 3/3 challenge.

Prizes will likely be awarded to the 4/4 and 5/5 challenges (don't know how many yet, depends on how many coins I can scrounge) even if they don't meet the total of 49 or 81 challenges.

It's about being "well rounded" not trying to win a coin.