Can anyone see any problems with this?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
BountyHunter

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Post by BountyHunter » 21 April 08 5:38 pm

Hi all

Thought I would ask this as I have thought of a way to tart up my cache a bit as it is not in an exciting location so thought I could make it a bit more interesting.

I am asking as I am trying to see if I am overlooking any possible problems, etc.

I was thinking of having my cache suspended up a tree but to get it down it needs to be lowered down on a string or rope, and then hoisted back up once found.

I had thought of using a fire tac to mark the tree and use fishing line but then thought it may pose a problem?

Can anyone else see any problems? Or any suggestions on how this could be acheived?

Thanks for your help in advance

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 21 April 08 5:54 pm

We have a cache like this. Although ours is on private property so there's no issues regarding having to permanently "alter" a tree that may be an issue in a public place.

Our cache is a very large one, suspended by rope via a pulley that was nailed to the tree. A ladder and Mr Wibble's climbing skills were used to get the pully up fairly high. One issue was that it could potentially cause head injuries if the person lowering the cache lets go and the cache falls on their head! We've (hopefully) overcome this by having the base of the rope hooked to an adjacent tree so people aren't standing directly under the cache when raising/lowering. We've seen one other cache in SA use a similar setup.

Fishing line would probably be okay for a small cache. I would think it would need to be rigged so the line stays close to the tree trunk so people don't accidentally run into it. A number of pulleys/eyelets nailed to a tree would work well but you'd need to consider how much damage this may cause to the tree.

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 21 April 08 6:02 pm

I have found a cache like this in New Zealand, seemed fine, I think it has been there for a while. I'm not sure if it was on private land or not.

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 21 April 08 7:29 pm

If using fishing line be aware that it deteriorates in heat and sunlight, you might find your cache crashing to the ground in time.

You could use something like a braided fishing line, which is much stronger for the line diameter, but stands out a bit more unless the tree has dark or rough textured bark. Braid looks more like thick cotton string.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 21 April 08 7:49 pm

There was one of these in the ACT, it lasted OK. I would use a heavier cord than fishing line. You can get some heavy nylon ropes in green that would work well. I would also use a pulley at the top and bottom to stop any issues with friction!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 April 08 11:24 pm

Found one of these as a temporary cache during an event. Don't have a problem with idea, in that case the rope went over the next tree and down to ground level so it wasn't immediately obvious. Out in the bush of course!

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 22 April 08 2:49 am

There's this bit of the "off limits" section of the guidelines:
Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.
Don't go screwing eyelets or pulleys into a tree unless you own it!

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 22 April 08 12:31 pm

Consider a wire through garden hose over a branch with lots of growing room. Only thing is you'v got to get up to put it on. Then hang a pully on that. Also remember trees move so expect fatigue.

kayla

Post by kayla » 04 May 08 7:40 pm

There was one in Victoria done this way. From memory it was up around ballarat. I think it was owned and on the property of pyrenese or something similar.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 04 May 08 9:26 pm

I've got one in Crawford forest like this. It's pretty open, but nobody seems to look up.

I must go up and re-attack it with spray paint though.

ArgusTuft

Post by ArgusTuft » 06 May 08 3:36 pm

There are several tree-hangers around. I don't remember exactly where, but remember reading how to suspend a carabiner from a branch using a tape loop. The advantage of the tape is that it can adjust to the thickness of the branch due to growth and doesn't require nails or screws or other Implements of Mass Destruction.

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 06 May 08 6:59 pm

kayla wrote:There was one in Victoria done this way. From memory it was up around ballarat. I think it was owned and on the property of pyrenese or something similar.
That one was "Oasis" by the Wanderers/Pyrenees Kid.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... c950afa384
It was a 10 litre bucket up a Palm tree in Lexton
Would loved to have seen it, but it was gone when we started caching in July 2005.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 06 May 08 10:55 pm

ArgusTuft wrote:There are several tree-hangers around. I don't remember exactly where, but remember reading how to suspend a carabiner from a branch using a tape loop. The advantage of the tape is that it can adjust to the thickness of the branch due to growth and doesn't require nails or screws or other Implements of Mass Destruction.
OT - Nice to see you around again Argus.

ArgusTuft

Post by ArgusTuft » 07 May 08 10:52 am

homedg wrote:
ArgusTuft wrote:There are several tree-hangers around. I don't remember exactly where, but remember reading how to suspend a carabiner from a branch using a tape loop. The advantage of the tape is that it can adjust to the thickness of the branch due to growth and doesn't require nails or screws or other Implements of Mass Destruction.
OT - Nice to see you around again Argus.
Glad to be back :D Once again, have been let down by doctors (note deliberate small "d"). I'm now officially legless (wish it was due to the grog but unfortunately not). I've got some stuff to give away so if you can use a nest of 3 cache boxes (as sold in the Groundspeak shop), two small Systema boxes and a nerds GPS watch complete with box and bits, message me and we can arrange a pickup in the Sydney area!