How many GPS units does it take to find a cache?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 23 May 08 5:01 pm

I think it will be just a matter of time before anything mounted above the dashboard will be illegal. Back before GPS navigators were ever heard of. I used to mount my magellan behind the steering wheel but even this was distracting. The laws will be made even without the consideration that some geocachers do a lot more than just glance over to their GPS while driving.

Who's gulity of programing a GPS or even reading a topo map while driving hmmmmm?

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 23 May 08 5:06 pm

isn't it illegal in some states?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 23 May 08 9:30 pm

It's illegal in California I know.

Don't know of any Australian states it is illegal. But the problem is every taxi, courier driver, and a lot of other cars have them. So it would be a hard thing to suddenly ban.

Alternatives? In dash mounted one. Even more distracting as you have to look further away from the road to see what it is saying.

Mobile phone (such as my Nokia 6110). Same problem, it won't be mounted almost in the same line of view as the road. It will be on the passenger seat next to me.

I have my TomTom mounted on the right hand side of the windscreen. Glancing at it doesn't take my eyes of the road.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 23 May 08 10:59 pm

richary wrote:
Alternatives? In dash mounted one. Even more distracting as you have to look further away from the road to see what it is saying.
Interesting Point Richary.

I used to own a Nissan X Trail.

All the instruments are mounted in the centre of the dash. So you have to glance over there, even to check your speed.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 26 May 08 1:04 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
Team Rubik wrote:I still can't get the stink out of the car! :P
If I remember correctly it was the Garmin that delivered the goods on Saturday :wink:
<p>So you actually did remember to go and look for a cache with all that techo gear to stare at? :twisted: :D