found a cache not posted on the web?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
J.A.C.K.A
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

found a cache not posted on the web?

Post by J.A.C.K.A » 08 May 04 1:10 am

Just last weekend I was up with my team looking for a new spot to hide another cache. We later found out that we had hid a cache on the same day as someone else nearly 100m away. Great minds think alike I guess..

Anyways... at one point when looking for a hiding place we came at least 5 meters away from where the unposted cache lay. I even made a joke to my mates saying "oh, look another cache..." just jokenly but there really was one there. I just didn't notice it. We later saw it come up on the website and went back today to see how we almost stumbled acrossed a cache that wasn't posted yet.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone finding a cache before it was posted on the webpage? That would be trippy. I was soo close this time.
Last edited by J.A.C.K.A on 09 May 04 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 08 May 04 9:51 pm

I placed my cache "Another Breakaway" within 90m of Liz and Bruces' "Breakaway" 3 days after they placed it. I did consider putting mine in the same spot as theirs, but decided against it. I actually had to give mine a different name. This is out near Coober Pedy, where at the time the next nearest cache was 100km away.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 09 May 04 10:49 am

No, but I hid a cache called Easter Eggs then posted it on GC a short time later I got an email from a very confused approver as the coordinates were the same for a leek cache called eggs. For a short moment I was worried I had coincidently placed my Easter Eggs on top of Eggs till I realised I had confused the waypoint EEGGS and EGGS in my GPS.

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 09 May 04 11:53 am

The best I did was Hard Units "Dead Wheel".

I had miscalculated the final coordinates and still found it.

Wandering around the location looking for a place to have a leak I spotted a likely hidey hole. Tada. Only 150m out from my calculated spot.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 09 May 04 12:04 pm

Freddo wrote:The best I did was Hard Units "Dead Wheel".

I had miscalculated the final coordinates and still found it.

Wandering around the location looking for a place to have a leak I spotted a likely hidey hole. Tada. Only 150m out from my calculated spot.
The next finder was undoubedly grateful you looked before you leaked.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 09 May 04 1:25 pm

Mix76 wrote:No, but I hid a cache called Easter Eggs then posted it on GC a short time later I got an email from a very confused approver as the coordinates were the same for a leek cache called eggs. For a short moment I was worried I had coincidently placed my Easter Eggs on top of Eggs till I realised I had confused the waypoint EEGGS and EGGS in my GPS.
I wasn't confused, just concerned :P :wink: :shock:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 09 May 04 9:22 pm

It's alright gecky - It's OK to be confused. We wont think less of you.

Nope - I have no nearst cache stories other than one day I was hiding a cache and the newest local team -'Team Pi" rolled up and said, so what are you up too? Later that afternoon I had returned to hide my cache and the phone rang and it was Mix76 saying - "I can see you" He was flying a kite in the park next door. I gave up on that one since 2/5ths of the local teams had found the cache before I got to hide it!

The Bronze.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: found a cache not posted on the web?

Post by EcoTeam » 09 May 04 10:52 pm

J.A.C.K.A wrote:Just last weekend I was up with my team looking for a new spot to hide another cache. We later found out that we had hid a cache on the same day as someone else nearly 100m away. Great minds think alike I guess..

Anyways... at one point when looking for a hiding place we came at least 5 meters away from where the unposted cache lay. I even made a joke to my mates saying "oh, look another cache..." just jokenly but there really was one there. I just didn't notice it. We later saw it come up on the website and went back today to see how we almost stumbled acrossed a cache that wasn't posted yet.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone finding a cache before it was posted on the webpage? That would be trippy. I was soo close this time.
We had Blocko & Badger place the Claustrophobia cache 5m above our heads. I remember looking up to the ledge above us and saying "Those guys are up to something, I wonder what they are doing up there?"
Close but no cigar!

EcoDave :)

RickJL

Post by RickJL » 10 May 04 1:16 pm

I placed "Dam: Last chance to see", and shortly after Alex from Adelaide placed "Loopy train". They're only about 3km apart. Funny thing, loopy train has had 9 visitors (including me) and mine only 4 :?: It's a long way from the major cachetowns to come and pick up one and not the other, I would have thought.

Rick

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 10 May 04 1:41 pm

RickJL wrote:It's a long way from the major cachetowns to come and pick up one and not the other, I would have thought.
When we drop in on the in-laws in Tamworth, the closest caches we haven't found yet are near Inverell. If I ever convince them to come for a day trip I'd be sure to at least attempt all of them.

Mix

Post by Mix » 10 May 04 2:11 pm

Bronze wrote:It's alright gecky - It's OK to be confused. We wont think less of you.

Nope - I have no nearst cache stories other than one day I was hiding a cache and the newest local team -'Team Pi" rolled up and said, so what are you up too? Later that afternoon I had returned to hide my cache and the phone rang and it was Mix76 saying - "I can see you" He was flying a kite in the park next door. I gave up on that one since 2/5ths of the local teams had found the cache before I got to hide it!

The Bronze.
what about pol blue?