1817 Days all alone

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
equinox

Re: 1817 Days all alone

Post by equinox » 28 September 09 11:44 pm

It has been done!!

I have visited the cache and performed maintenance.

I have also replaced some items and made it a bit more attractive for the FTF...

Good Luck, and please don't make me wait another 6 years.. :)

Cheers
Alan

equinox

Post by equinox » 02 October 09 12:00 am

Hi all,

I put a video together showing some of the journey to get there. Note that there is more to the journey than this, however this shows generally what its like.

The video was taken heading east to the Knob. It would also be possible to come from the south, the direction I exited.

NotHisRealName

Post by NotHisRealName » 02 October 09 11:01 am

What a great video!
That's a part of Australia I would love to visit. Problem is I'm far from prepared to venture that far out.

Do tell; what condition was the cache in when you got there?

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 02 October 09 11:31 am

Somehow I do not think circulating a video like this will help support the cause of granting geocachers access to National Parks in NSW. From a National Parks point of view it is driving like this that supports the ban.

equinox

Post by equinox » 02 October 09 7:30 pm

Hi NotHisRealName.

It is a great part of the country, and rarely visited too. I would suspect that even Muggles has not made it out here yet (not yet).

The cache was in poor condition from water damage. Rain got in as the lid of the plastic lunch box had disintegrated. The rest of the container was almost as bad anyway. I did not expect that it would be unvisited this long. See the cache details for pictures but I'm sure the new canvas waterproof bag will last for many many years. I did find a better location for it in a cave nearby but I wasn't sure if it would still retain the same status so put it back where it was before.

Hoojar,
Nichols Knob is nowhere near a National Park. It would be a brave Chief Ranger or Pollie to draw a link between Geocaching in NSW National Parks and Geocaching on Unallocated Crown Land in remote outback Western Australia.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 08 October 09 8:55 am

equinox wrote:Hi NotHisRealName.

Nichols Knob is nowhere near a National Park. It would be a brave Chief Ranger or Pollie to draw a link between Geocaching in NSW National Parks and Geocaching on Unallocated Crown Land in remote outback Western Australia.
I am aware of the location of the cache; I was merely pointing out that the method of getting to the cache, driving over trees etc, is probably one of the reasons that NSW NPWS has disallowed caching.

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 09 October 09 1:30 am

Hoojar wrote:I am aware of the location of the cache; I was merely pointing out that the method of getting to the cache, driving over trees etc, is probably one of the reasons that NSW NPWS has disallowed caching.
Only thing is, the only way to get to this cache is to drive over trees etc. Unless you can afford a helicopter out there. ;-)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 October 09 9:01 pm

Hoojar wrote:I am aware of the location of the cache; I was merely pointing out that the method of getting to the cache, driving over trees etc, is probably one of the reasons that NSW NPWS has disallowed caching.
I don't think driving over trees would be the reason NPWS doesn't allow caching. It probably has something to do why lots of the 4WD tracks have been blocked off though. But NPWS have done a pretty good job of blocking access to 4WD tracks they don't want people using, either with large boulders or locked gates.

Driving to the gate then walking to the cache (even if over trees) is not a valid reason to disallow caching - especially if it would be in a location that would be a drive by if the gate was open. That way no environmental damage happens.

I can understand why they want some measure of control over it if it is allowed again. I have been caching long enough to see environmental damage caused by people walking to a cache in a poorly thought out place, where just the simple act of scrambling up a bank once a month seems to leave a noticeable geotrail.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 10 October 09 6:35 pm

Devar wrote:
Only thing is, the only way to get to this cache is to drive over trees etc. Unless you can afford a helicopter out there. ;-)
How about walking or riding a bike or motorbike? I know of a few cachers that will ride 50+ KM for a cache some up to 200! I have walked nearly 50.

Hoojar has a very good point, even though the cache is not in a NSW national park there are cachers who will do all they can not to walk to a cache and I have lost track of how many times I have seen 4WD tracks around gates, trees and boulders pulled out, with people (not necessarily cachers) entering areas where they shouldn't be.

If I were reviewing caches in national parks and someone showed me this video I know my answer would not be favourable... Unfortunately the actions of a few can impact us all.

Food for thought.

equinox

Post by equinox » 31 October 09 2:44 pm

Australia's Oldest Unfound Geocache has now been found!!

Well done to Hugo&Sarah, a fine effort!!!

ZED!
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 31 October 09 5:06 pm

An it took someone from the Netherlands to do it :lol:

Well done =D> Hugo&Sarah =D>