Team members in different places logging finds on same day

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
mastamak
2800 or more caches found

Team members in different places logging finds on same day

Post by mastamak » 06 April 08 10:45 pm

Most geocaching activity is conducted by myself or by me with other family members. On the odd occasion the geowife and kids have found a cache without me in attendance.

We have had the situation this weekend where the kids have been on holidays with their Aunty, Uncle and cousins who are also geocachers. I was out geocaching today myself when I get an sms from the kids saying that they have found a cache and that I should log it.

So in this case we have me finding caches and the kids finding caches 350km away at the same time.

I am not sure if it is good form or acceptable to have different team members finding caches in different places at the same time.

I know the kids probably won't be that impressed if when the get back from holidays and ask whether I have completed the logs - or even have a list of others that they want to sit down with me when I log them - and I tell them that I haven't or can't.

The kids are too young to have their own caching account - if they did it would be me entering all logs anyway and when they cache with me I would have to duplicate logs for each account.

I am interested in hearing what other people think on this matter.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 06 April 08 11:10 pm

Does it matter :?:

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 06 April 08 11:31 pm

Make the kids day and go for it. :P

It generally seems to become an issue when records are at stake. :roll: :lol:

Nice to see the kids out there and enjoying themselves. Image

mm

Poppy

Post by Poppy » 06 April 08 11:35 pm

Just log the finds on behalf of the kids stating that they were on holidays with other cachers.

There are some teams out there that do it so why shouldn't you.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 April 08 2:02 am

It can get silly when there's teams of dozens of people all logging finds just to get the numbers high, sort of caching by committee.

Your example's nothing like this!

We've done the same when Mama Bear was in Perth and I was still in NZ, and there's still a couple of caches that Bear_Left have logged that I haven't visited!

mastamak

Post by mastamak » 07 April 08 7:49 pm

Thanks people - I will proceed to log the finds and state that they were found by the kids whilst on holidays.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 07 April 08 8:50 pm

there's teams of dozens of people all logging finds just to get the numbers high, sort of caching by committee.

Must agree hate to be in a committee.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 07 April 08 9:50 pm

If my sister still worked in Antarctica I would be tempted to enlist her to my team to get some of the virtuals there. Though I think I would consider that cheating.

I also wouldn't agree with teams deliberately set up to chase numbers. That said, I don't have a problem with different members of a regular team (such as a family) being in different places at different times.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 07 April 08 10:26 pm

This sport is all about fun, and its really up to each player how they want to play it as far as I am concerned. I have known two members of a team to log two caches in different countries on the same day because that is where each of them was, and I for one have no problems with it whatsoever!

If you really wanted to be pure you could create a new cachename but again, that is entirely up to how you want to play the game - no one can tell you how to play it!

So go for it, whichever way you want to do it. And enjoy it. :D

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 07 April 08 10:47 pm

Alansee wrote:This sport is all about fun, and its really up to each player how they want to play it as far as I am concerned. . :D
I wholeheartedly agree.....
If my sister still worked in Antarctica I would be tempted to enlist her to my team to get some of the virtuals there.
......... but for myself I wouldn't like to log a cache if I wasn't physically at the cache location and found it myself. It's not about the numbers or stats for me. I just enjoy getting out and about to some really great places.

team_canyonero

Post by team_canyonero » 07 April 08 11:06 pm

Sort of defeats the purpose of a "Team" if you can't log... would be more of a waste making a GC logon for the kids. </p>
</p>
I have enlisted the help of my mum to find a cache in the USA. She went to dinner with some distant relatives and they were going on and on about this new "activity" they were doing... after they finished their spiel about it, my mum said "My son is a geocacher too". One thing led to another and she deposited some Australian Coins in a cache outside the front of their house (Cambio - specifically for international coins) and signed the log for me.

flipperandco

Teams

Post by flipperandco » 07 April 08 11:33 pm

Flipper&Co are a Team of mainly 2 couples the R's live in the Riverland and the A's live in Adeladie, but we all get together to cache when we can and we cache as a part of the same team in different places as well. Gayle went to the Gold Coast for Work and got a few caches with some enlisted help, and Mark also found a cache in Adelaide and the R Team got one in the Riverlande too, we don't do that often, and a lot of the time it is either just Mark or Mark & Gayle, the KI kids are along for the finds too on the odd occasion so we mention when they were part of the hunt on the day. The A & R's have got to gether to plan our hides and recently teamed up with Jardry from the Riverland, who works in Adelaiide to host a Riverland event. So I guess all is fair, and we note the members in our team in our profile.
Cheers
The Flipper's 10c worth

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 08 April 08 9:28 am

SuperJaz and I set up individual accounts, as neither of us wanted to be in the situation where we had caches logged that we hadn't actually visited ourselves.

It turns out to be the right decision, especially with the number of finds I've had while travelling for work.

But whatever works for you...

Richary

Post by Richary » 08 April 08 10:21 pm

Separate accounts have their advantages, as what happens if the team "breaks up"? I can think of one team in Adelaide that were a couple living together and went their separate ways. Neither of them is caching after the event but if they were - who keeps the logs? And I have introduced a couple of girlfriends who I thought were going to be more to the hobby and we logged a few together, but they didn't keep going after we split up.

But still, would it have been fair for them to be able to claim the 1000 odd finds I already had before we met?

AussieRAVer
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieRAVer » 09 April 08 2:59 am

when my kids are a bit older and start wanting their own account I will log it under their own names.... if the kids are happy to have it listed under you name there is no harm done...