Seeking vacation / caching advice

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Lawrence

Seeking vacation / caching advice

Post by Team Lawrence » 07 May 04 8:15 am

Greetings to all! We are planning a vacation to Oz and NZ next April and because of the innumerable restrictions surrounding free frequent flier tickets, we have to make some decisions about our plans now. This is something of a dream trip for us as we've always longed to visit. We'll have 15 or 16 days in your fine country. We believe that there is a law that requires Americans to visit Sydney/Blue Mountains and the GBR (probably Port Douglas), so we will be doing 5 days in each. That still leaves us 5 or 6 nights to fill.

<p>The standard manual for visiting 'mericans says we should go to the Red Centre and do Uluru and Kings' Canyon. However, we have this sinking feeling that it might not be right for us. We're not sure that isn't just a bit too much of a tourist-centric spot where we will only meet other tourists and people who deal with tourists all day long and we're not that keen on being carried away by roving bands of flies.

<p>Obviously, we enjoy a bit of hiking (errr, bush walking) and find that caching on vacation often takes us to remarkable places we might not have found otherwise. We also enjoy good food and wine and just soaking in local flavors.

<p>We would enthusiastically welcome any advice on what to do with our remaining 6 days, especially if it included some wonderful caching locales. Our research thus far points towards either Darwin and Kakadu or Adelaide or Melbourne or perhaps the Whitsundays. We're aware of the high cost of plane travel, but since most of our trip will be on the cheap with various frequent flier schemes, we're willing to pay a few dollars to see what we want to see. It would probably be best not to spend every day in an airport, however.

<p>I should probably tell you more about what we seek, but my mind is (as usual) a bit of a blank at the moment. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Seeking vacation / caching advice

Post by riblit » 07 May 04 10:19 am

Team Lawrence wrote: We believe that there is a law that requires Americans to visit Sydney/Blue Mountains and the GBR (probably Port Douglas), so we will be doing 5 days in each. That still leaves us 5 or 6 nights to fill.
You are correct about the Sydney/Blue Mountains law - we have strategically placed caches in order that visiting Americans enjoy an 'off the beaten track' experience. :)
I'll let someone closer to the GBR suggest locations, there are some great spots off the tourist track.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 07 May 04 2:33 pm

May I suggest a visit to Canberra? It's just 3 hours from Sydney by bus. We have a disproportionately large number of excellent caches. Visit Parliament House, the War Memorial, Telstra Tower, the National Gallery, the Kamberra Wine Centre and the like and wrap up the day with dinner at one of our amazing restaurants. There are some great places to hike in easy reach of the city. You could easily make it a one night/two day trip then hop on to Melbourne or Adelaide.

Naturally, you'll need the relevant security clearance to enter Canberra. I'm sure I can arrange the necessary paperwork for a case of Old Dominion Root Beer. ;)

Team Lawrence

Post by Team Lawrence » 07 May 04 10:27 pm

Canberra is an interesting suggestion. Curiously, opinions about a stop there appear to vary the most widely between Australians. From travel guides and Bill Bryson's amusing account of his travels it sounds interesting. When I have suggested including it in other discussions, some Australians have gone into impassioned debate, frequently dismissing it as "soulless." I'm not even sure what that would mean exactly. I might well include it, since it would appear to be an easy one to fit in. I suppose I could just wander from Sydney to the Blue Montains onto to Canberra. Maybe do an overnight or two in each of the latter two. Thanks for the tips.

<p>At the moment, my trip is too far in the distance for serious cache planning. I do need to pin down my destinations a bit so that I can arrange the "free" flights from Qantas. I will certainly return to this forum when it grows closer to seek ideas on specific caches that are well thought of.

<p>Even if I do add Canberra, I'd still have several days for another stop. I would still welcome feedback on any of my ideas or your own, if you have alternatives. I rejected the West Coast just on the basis of travel time.

Team Lawrence

Post by Team Lawrence » 07 May 04 10:30 pm

tolmh wrote:I'm sure I can arrange the necessary paperwork for a case of Old Dominion Root Beer. ;)
You can't go drinking root beer, you will destroy all my cherished plans to pub crawl my way through the country.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 08 May 04 2:03 pm

Ahhh Adelaide.... 8)
We also enjoy good food and wine and just soaking in local flavors.
....ahhh Adelaide :)

HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 08 May 04 2:33 pm

Typical of the forgeign devil dog eastern staters......remember the old saying and song..." Go West!" Life is Cachey there. See big beaches and big trees. The down side is of course it is a paltery 3500 kms from Sydney and the GBR but worth every KM.

And besides we have better Winerys and Food. and of course far supeiour caches. :D

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 08 May 04 9:52 pm

not to mention the pleasent company.

HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 08 May 04 10:01 pm

of course....I forgot to mention that!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 09 May 04 9:04 pm

Great Barrier Reef...
a must see!

The Bronze.
Congrats to Geonads {Dubbo} & Uneven Distribution {Melbourne}.
The Newest achievers of A-Dag.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 6c080cc1a0

Effrem

Re: Seeking vacation / caching advice

Post by Effrem » 09 May 04 10:41 pm

Team Lawrence wrote:

Obviously, we enjoy a bit of hiking (errr, bush walking) and find that caching on vacation often takes us to remarkable places we might not have found otherwise. We also enjoy good food and wine and just soaking in local flavors.
May I suggest The Hunter Valley Approx 3 hour drive from Sydney.
Its our local wine district, which has some fine restaurants too.
(Everyone I know that has gone on a wine tour weekend has come back very pleased with the experience)
I dont know about any caches up there, maybe someone else can enlighten us
Effrem