Could you Imagine....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Could you Imagine....

Post by Hounddog » 26 April 03 12:16 am

Could you imagine doing some of the stuff you have done without a GPS in your hand?

Scaling dangerous cliffs, swimming across algea coated rivers, slogging it though leech infested swamps, and trampling through bush knowing snakes are waiting to bite your ankles at every turn? Just to name a few.

What is it about using a GPS that makes us think we are invincible, and what's the most risky thing you have done?
Last edited by Hounddog on 26 April 03 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Risky Business

Post by leek » 26 April 03 12:28 pm

Hmmm... I know what you mean HoundDog...

For me the most risky thing so far was definitely the hunt for the Final Cut... I was definitely out of my comfort zone during that one :shock: , but am very glad I did it as the whole experience was very rewarding...

Luckily I took an experienced climber with me, who talked me through the most dodgy bits... I definitely wouldn't have done it alone...

I haven't seen any snakes yet, which is probably a good thing as I'd probably run a mile...

ideology

Post by ideology » 27 April 03 8:46 am

the gps can be a very pushy companion. it sits in your hand, pointing its arrow saying "someone else got to the point 150m ahead, can you follow the gps exactly?" interestingly, putting it in map mode isn't anywhere near as pushy because you see that every other line (road, trail, creek, or back-track) is crooked, so you don't mind taking a crooked path to the cache.

some of our early caches (nest, bullseye) were designed to leverage this straight-line myopia by putting barriers (cliffs, creeks) or incentives (trails going sort of towards the cache but not taking you there) between you and the cache. needless to say we were delighted when people started wading through fetid cess-pools that we wouldn't go near!

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 28 April 03 9:39 am

You're so true there Hounddog, but on a slightly different tangent for us though. We're an outdoors type of family anyway so scaling cliffs, hiking for days on end etc etc, is a normal weekend for us.....

What's amussed us is when we've had the GPS in hand and some people have approached us or some of the looks people give you when they see you snooping around in the bushes. I dread to think what people think we are doing, but then who cares.