top caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

top caches

Post by Mix » 05 May 04 11:30 pm

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 06 May 04 1:37 pm

Sadly the new "potential terrorist target" guidelines might mean that such a cache would not be approved.

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 06 May 04 3:18 pm

I know a fellow cacher was looking at the idea of having a cache on the harbour bridge. From recoglection it was to be a virtual cache because of the inability to swap items or fill out a logbook......

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 06 May 04 3:45 pm

I guess a virtual cache is safe enough. :)

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 07 May 04 1:15 am

Check the log 20Feb on that cache. C'est moi!

Mix

Post by Mix » 07 May 04 1:19 am

Check the log 20Feb on that cache. C'est moi
<br>
how do you think I came across it...

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 07 May 04 7:40 am

The Rats wrote:I know a fellow cacher was looking at the idea of having a cache on the harbour bridge. From recoglection it was to be a virtual cache because of the inability to swap items or fill out a logbook......
I had seriously looked at doing a virtual cache for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I took my wife for a bridge climb for our wedding anniversy, but i killed the cache idea for a few reasons, one of which was the cost, and the cache could be considered as "commerical". Under the "reviewer code of conduct" If i was going to submit a cache of a "dubious" nature I would have had to submit it to the Reviewers Board for their judgement, and Like you I would have had to abide by their descision.

The other reasons why i didn't go ahead with the virtual cache was it would have been to hard to verify the find, as there was nothing of significance, as strange as it sounds, on the bridge that could be used as verifier question or answer. I thought about asking peopel to submit a copy of their free photo, but that is open to abuse as cachers who want a quick find that had done the bridge prior to the listing date could also log a find. I had also thought about asking for a copy of their receipt, but since you can book the climbs months in advance this is also open to abuse.

Also as a matter of policy you are not allowed to take anything up on the bridge with you, so this means a GPS is definately out of the question. Also a physical log could not be hidden up there.

And finally I had to also consider the following guideline...
Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive): Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings and airports.
This also applies to Virtual caches as you are to list the co-ords for the position or object that the cache is about.

Mind you I still claim the spot for a future virtual cache if I can just figure out the best way of making it work.....

Dingbats
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Dingbats » 07 May 04 6:25 pm

swampgecko wrote:I had seriously looked at doing a virtual cache for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I took my wife for a bridge climb for our wedding anniversy, but i killed the cache idea for a few reasons,
Something observed or learnt on the bridge that could really only be observed by doing the climb could be used to solve the coords for the final waypoint where the traditional cache is hidden :?: