TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 25 April 09 12:26 pm

richary wrote:
Spindoc Bob wrote:To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself.
<p>Probably needs to also say you need to be at the trig point rather than using a big zoom lens to get the trigpoint in the background at the top of the hill while you stand comfortable at the bottom.<p>I liked the old locationless which I think involved photoing the GPS next to the disc or one of the legs, as well as another photo of the point.
Spot on richary, something i left out! And thanks spindoc for the edits! We should realy include that the cacher must be at gz in order to log the cache.

Btw C@W if you need a beta tester i'd be more than happy to help out.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 April 09 5:07 pm

I checked on one today and noticed that they have four legs.

Therefore the opening paragraph should read:

A trig point (also known as a Trigonometric Station) typically consists of a black disc on top of four metal legs, resembling a navigation beacon. It is also accompanied by a metal disc, which is located directly below the center point of the tripod.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 25 April 09 5:22 pm

I think more commonly they are just a single leg, ie a pole.

At least I don't recall seeing any on 4 legs personally. This disc (and the others I have seen) appears a lot smaller than the '4 leg' example given previously in this thread. Different types around?

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 April 09 6:07 pm

Hmm, you're correct. There are a number of variations.

See: http://tinyurl.com/austrigs

Let's try:
A trig point (also known as a Trigonometric Station) typically consists of a black disc on top of a metal pole, resembling a navigation beacon. It is also accompanied by a metal disc, which is located directly below the center point of the trig.

WaldenClan
1600 or more caches found

Post by WaldenClan » 25 April 09 11:19 pm

richary wrote:
Spindoc Bob wrote:To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself.
<p>Probably needs to also say you need to be at the trig point rather than using a big zoom lens to get the trigpoint in the background at the top of the hill while you stand comfortable at the bottom.<p>I liked the old locationless which I think involved photoing the GPS next to the disc or one of the legs, as well as another photo of the point.
<br>

What about the trig points on top of water towers? There are at least 2 in my area.<br> I can easily get a photo from the ground but have no access to climb the tower to get a close up!!<br>
The type in damo's pic is the most common in my area<br><br>

BTW, nice pic of Byron lighthouse Damo.<br>

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 25 April 09 11:26 pm

WaldenClan wrote:
What about the trig points on top of water towers? There are at least 2 in my area.<br> I can easily get a photo from the ground but have no access to climb the tower to get a close up!!<br><br>

BTW, nice pic of Byron lighthouse Damo
I think a bit of common sense has to come in here!

If the trig point is in a location that is on private property like a tower and easy public access isn't possible then you obviously cant get to the trig point but you could just post a photo of the location and i think people would understand!

If someone took a photo of a trig point on top of a hill then that isn't right but for something like a water tower i think you could take a pic from below!

WaldenClan

Post by WaldenClan » 25 April 09 11:36 pm

Sons of Callum wrote:
WaldenClan wrote:
What about the trig points on top of water towers? There are at least 2 in my area.<br> I can easily get a photo from the ground but have no access to climb the tower to get a close up!!<br><br>

BTW, nice pic of Byron lighthouse Damo
I think a bit of common sense has to come in here!

If the trig point is in a location that is on private property like a tower and easy public access isn't possible then you obviously cant get to the trig point but you could just post a photo of the location and i think people would understand!

If someone took a photo of a trig point on top of a hill then that isn't right but for something like a water tower i think you could take a pic from below!
<br>
Agreed. I could also take a pic of the GPSr next to the tower, or as close as possible to get the coordinates. Obviously this couldn't be to far away or the coordinates wouldn't be accurate.<bvr>

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 26 April 09 12:18 pm

Sons of Callum wrote:[
Agreed, I suppose in this case the trig point would in fact be the 'trig station'... i.e. the point of reference.

I do not think, however, that a photo of a hill in the background with a trig point in the distance can be marked as a log. And trig points on private property for which you cannot get within x meters of should be archived and removed from the database. Otherwise I might see that's its found and spend too much valuable caching time perusing :lol: :lol: :lol: (especially the potential to breach trespass rules on private lands)

Anyways its all up for comment and discussion and i really appreciate people putting in their views and opinions. Thanks guys

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 26 April 09 4:36 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:I checked on one today and noticed that they have four legs.
The one on Hindmarsh Island has 3 legs.
It also is in a private paddock but near to the roadside. If the requirement is to be touching it etc. then this wouldn't be possible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mundoo/2968163873

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 18 May 09 11:24 pm

Hows all this going CAW and Team Geoplask?

Have we got any further in developing this idea :?:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 May 09 8:49 am

I'm waiting for the new server.
With an additional couple of thousand waypoints, this will cause problems for the GPX ZIP file generation. I'm also still thinking about how to include this in a GPX file, but not necessarily the state GPX file. I doubt most people will want a couple of thousand additional points in their GSAK database if they are never going to hunt TP's.
It won't be forgotten.

Also thinking that when we get the new server we can allow emailed MyQueries. i.e. Rather than get the state GPX file, you can make up your own query, select a day and it gets mailed to you. Like a PQ but without so many restrictions). That way you can choose whether you want TP's in their or not.

When they are created, it will probably be "open slather" on who can edit them (free and open and community based waypoints).
That way the closest points to you can be edited to deal with local conditions. It also means that you can archive ones that are close to you but on private property without having to wait for "the powers that be" to get around to it. All sort of self service.

Please bear with me for a little while longer.

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 19 May 09 6:37 pm

Yeah that is a good idea to wait until the new server as it will be able to be set up in a more user friendly way!

Thanks CAW :D

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 20 May 09 12:20 pm

In the meantime, you can always find the ones listed on Waymarking and add new ones in.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 29 May 09 12:28 am

[quote="TeamGeoPlesk"][quote="Sons of Callum"][
[/quote]

Agreed, I suppose in this case the trig point would in fact be the 'trig station'... i.e. the point of reference.

I do not think, however, that a photo of a hill in the background with a trig point in the distance can be marked as a log. And trig points on private property for which you cannot get within x meters of should be archived and removed from the database. Otherwise I might see that's its found and spend too much valuable caching time perusing :lol: :lol: :lol: (especially the potential to breach trespass rules on private lands)

Anyways its all up for comment and discussion and i really appreciate people putting in their views and opinions. Thanks guys[/quote]

I Aggre with that piont that if they are on privet proerty then they should be arcived.
Well thats my 2c Worth

caughtatwork

Re: TrigPointing

Post by caughtatwork » 14 September 09 9:21 pm

Just giving a headsup on progress.

I've got most of the coding done on my dev box.
I still have a few things to check on GA vs. TP to make sure we catch them all.

I still have some concerns over these "filling up" the various cache listings (e.g. http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/ ) as well as by default, then being included in peoples GPX files.

They can easily edit them out using the MyQuery functionality, but their first hit will be a big surprise.