Australian GEOcoin images

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 December 05 9:39 pm

Until this issue came up I was not aware that the design was considered purely for the GCA website as the GCA design has been used in a lot of places other than the website so I'm sure that a lot of newer cachers, like myself, felt that it represented the Australian caching community not just the website.

I would appreciate that some people would feel strongly about this issue but those same people also have to let the discussion progress as that is the only way many of the newer cachers in Australia will become aware. It is also important to separate the issue from any GC 'chips on shoulder' issues as they are two distinct issues.

TLC and I have have exchanged some correspondence on the issue of copyrights of the design and it use and I'm sure that if they feel that I have raised some valid issues they will address them. No matter what some people feel the copyrights are the core of issue and it is only the clarification of the copyrights that will determine the designs' usage not any other spurious arguements.

If we can't use the GCA design then there has to be some other design put forward and agreed upon.

I see that !mike has made a suggestion whilst I was typing this and I was going to make a similar suggestion that we use the state boundaries and colour each state. It also takes any suggestion away that it is an adapted GC logo as well.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 December 05 10:59 pm

I'm not an artist so this is very rough but it gives another idea for the back of the coin.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 28 December 05 11:00 pm

Chwiliwr wrote: like myself, felt that it represented the Australian caching community not just the website.
Thats what i thought and thats why i wanted it on the GC coin to show off the rest of Australia and in a way it can only advertise the site if anything.

the way it sounds GCA is trying to compete with GC rather then just being a fantastic tool set up for the Australian Cachers to help them in their Australian caching adventures and discussions

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 28 December 05 11:03 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:I'm not an artist so this is very rough but it gives another idea for the back of the coin.

just an idea but how about that minus the yellow thing and the colour of Australia be an Australian Flag? if you get what i mean? sit an Aussie flag over Aus and Cut it out to the shape of Australia?

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 29 December 05 1:16 am

I think that the Aussie map is fine- Its just a case of getting the colours right, so that it looks right. The Aussie flag in the Aussie map is a good idea as well...

And just to clarify, I don't have anything against gc.com, I use the site....
I would appreciate that some people would feel strongly about this issue but those same people also have to let the discussion progress as that is the only way many of the newer cachers in Australia will become aware.
Just curious....Aware of what? And who's stopping the discussion??
No matter what some people feel the copyrights are the core of issue and it is only the clarification of the copyrights that will determine the designs' usage not any other spurious arguements.
I believe they were clarified by TLC- He said he'd prefer the image were NOT used on the coin. Considering he created the image, regardless of anything else, my understanding is that he can still claim intellectual copyright at any time, as he is the creator of the image. And considering he created it, his wishes should be adhered to.

You can argue the technicalities all you want, but it would be a really sh*tty thing to do to use it AFTER you have been asked not to by the images creator.

Marie.

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 29 December 05 2:12 am

Team Red Devil wrote:
I believe they were clarified by TLC- He said he'd prefer the image were NOT used on the coin. Considering he created the image, regardless of anything else, my understanding is that he can still claim intellectual copyright at any time, as he is the creator of the image. And considering he created it, his wishes should be adhered to.

You can argue the technicalities all you want, but it would be a really sh*tty thing to do to use it AFTER you have been asked not to by the images creator.

Marie.
My understanding of intellectual copyright is that once it goes into the public domain the original owner cannot subsequently reclaim the copyrights and also cannot restrict its use, morally or otherwise.

The main points, (the technicalities you don't want to argue about), were

firstly that TLC gave free use of the design without restriction (see above paragraph),

secondly gave free use as long as it was for GCA and

lastly would prefer in the future that it would only be used for GCA.

The first two were mutally exclusive and only one could be correct but the last point about future use left it open for the design to be used for the current geocoin proposal so all points needed to be discussed in context of the current geocoin. Some people interpreted TLC's comments the same way as you and others wanted clarification of them as they didn't make complete sense when joined together.

To get back to your first question the issue is that until TLC, Ideology and others stated otherwise I, and a lot of other people, thought that GCA was a community of Australian cachers that used a central website so to use the GCA design for an Australian product was acceptable (Especially as the majority of interested people wanted that design in the original topic).

What is now been made clear by TLC's comments is that the design is just for the website and cannot be used on products that are not endorsed by GCA. The fact that GCA is only a website seems to indicate that the design cannot be used for any product.

Even now I would prefer a way for the design to be included on the coin as that design best represents our community and it has become accepted by a lot of cachers as representing us in Australia however in light of what TLC has now said it appears very unlikely and that is a shame in my view.

elmofreak
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by elmofreak » 29 December 05 3:10 am

Well.. the way i see it.. many communities/areas have their own geocaching site - i've seen sites for different 'areas' within the u-states - they have their own communities, they have their own websites etc.. so i suspect most of the rest of the world wouldn't be suprised to see we have our own gc.au site...
<p>
The majority of potential buyers would like to see the coin gc.com trackable - mainly because of the potential for it to be tracked further - and also for people overseas to be able to have it in their stats and log the coins easily...
<p>
SO.. if you want the GC.au logo on it.. why not have the gc.com.au web address under said logo.. keep it trackable at gc.com - i doubt it would confuse many people - if it does, just make sure there is some detail of the coin on a link from the main gc.com.au page..
<p>
Alternatively the coloured states is also a good idea
<p>
Facts are, everyones feelings and opinions are valid, you'll never keep everyone totally happy, and those who aren't will have to accept it and get on with it, but putting other ppls ideas and opinions down won't get us anywhere:), there is no said 'copyright for the logos - but the producers of the copyright should probably have the final say... or at least a big part of it - not everyones opinion of what the producers are saying ;)
<p>
Be happy cos Elmo loves you :)
<p>
Disclaimer: if it doesn't make sense.. i apologise, and I'll lay off the 'christmas cheer' sometime soon :D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 29 December 05 10:56 am

belken wrote:You all feel strongly.
I don't. :D

The Bronze.
"Supported by Lipton".

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 29 December 05 12:39 pm

ImageImage

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 29 December 05 12:48 pm

http://www.zutroy.com/stuff/neverend/index.htm

I'm up to page 4 :D

Having a tea break.

Bronze.

!mike

Post by !mike » 29 December 05 12:49 pm

I like the right hand one

belken

Post by belken » 29 December 05 12:49 pm

I like the google earthy looking one. On the right. CAn we make WA look bigger

Now TLC can you design a personal coin for us. :lol:

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 29 December 05 12:50 pm

I like the 2nd one better.

Is there any way to show the ACT on them.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 29 December 05 12:59 pm

I think it's a great Logo. Represents Geocaching in Australia as well as the GCA website and personally I don't have any problem with it being used on a Geocaching Australia Geocoin which is trackable on gc.com
Why not have both URLs on it? I'm sure plenty of the group geocoins out there have their own website url on the coin.

I noticed on the selector website http://www.9key.com/selector.asp that it now has an option to "Add your local geocaching group's banner!" to the icons. There's about 50 of them. If you chose one and "generate the code" for a preview, most have a link to their own websites. The state of Texas has 7 different groups! (Always thought Texas had a bit of an inferiority complex! :twisted: )

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 29 December 05 1:14 pm

Team Red Devil wrote:I feel really strongly about this- the logo was created to give this site its own identity, and if the shoe was on the other foot, theres more than likely no way in
I consider that the logo assists Australian Cachers with their own identity wherever it is displayed. Displaying it on the GCA site is only one of it's many possible uses.

I figure we should spread it around; cups, t-shirts, stickers, baseball caps and geocoins.

If geocoins can only be tracked on GC.com then so be it.