Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Minimalist Cache Logs -- Opinions Wanted

Post by Richary » 08 July 11 1:29 am

That's not bad Zal, I might have to keep it saved if I start getting similar logs. I hide becayse I enjoy reading the finds. When I have placed a cache somewhere nice or historical and get stuff all on the logs it is disappointing.

But yes, we need to educate rather than berate I suppose. New players coming into it, using phone apps or whatever and don't even realise that a nice log is appreciated by the hider. Heck some of the newbies probably think they just appear by the geocaching gods and nobody actually cares. Especially those who can buy the GPS units in the USA that are preloaded with caches, they likely don't even visit the site.

I have had a few disappointing logs lately, but at least not blank ones or just with a dot. But it does make you wonder why you went to the effort of placing the multi or whatever.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 08 July 11 7:48 am

Zalgariath wrote:
Hi <iPhone Cacher Name>!

Thanks for finding my cache <hide-I-spent- a- good-bit-of-effort-on-to-create-your-experience> the other day, I hope you had fun on the hunt. Just a quick email to see if you did actually enjoy the cache? I see you <are quite new to the hobby and> haven’t been writing logs, which as a cache hider is really disappointing. I blame the iPhone, as most of the time blank and TFTC logs come from people logging in the field instead of back home online. One of the best parts of our hobby is sharing your experiences with others, particularly the hider who has gone to the effort of creating the caches for you to have fun finding. I understand there are a number of rubbish caches out there which warrant little comment but for the most part it is considered polite to leave at least a few words for each log so the cache hider knows their effort has been appreciated…. (or that their cache needs improvement >:) Not only does this let the community share your experience, but also importantly lets the owner know what condition the cache is in, and can assist future finders.

I hope you continue to enjoy the hunt, and choose to give a little feedback in the future. <When you get your first hide out and see 5 blank, “TFTC” and “sent from my mobile device” logs on the cache you poured yourself into this will make more sense ;) >

On that, if you need any help or advice on hiding a great <first> cache otherwise will rave about or have any other questions let me know and Id be happy to help. Or why not come check out the Geocaching Australia Forums (http://forum.geocaching.com.au/) which are great fun and where any and all questions can be answered :D

Regards, Zalgariath (aka James)
I like it and have snaffled it. Then I laughed out loud when I appreciated the irony of sending a form letter to someone complaining about their lack of individual creativitiy in their logs :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 July 11 8:48 am

WanderingAus wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:You can't yet. CraigRat is writing some code to allow you to "hide it", then the logger can amend the log and "resubmit" it.
In the meantime, which cache and which log?
GA2726 WanAus 180 - Water Storage 1 - Above Ground Water Storage
Published 03/11/2010

Logged 29/10/2010 by Datruk

I emailed Datruk at the time requesting either a change to a note or delete the log, but got no response.
Let me look at that one in more detail. It meets the criteria but occurred prior to the cache being published.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 08 July 11 10:40 am

The Groundspeak newsletter is crowing about the new version of the iPhone app. They seemed to have missed the function that automatically adds some text to the field log. "TFTC. No time now but will log later." Then it sends them reminders to actually update the logs to something meaningful. Dream on.

I know we all seem to accept what GS says as the word of God, carved in stone, received by Moses on Mt Sinai but why the flip can't they make it a requirement that an online log be done? You can't write a blank post on a forum, some won't allow less than 10 characters to stop people posting LOL and smileys by themselves. How hard can it be?
"Dude there's like too many roolz already like dude..."

Ah well this has all been said before, think I'll just ignore all blank logs...

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 08 July 11 10:43 am

Zalgariath wrote: Here is the one I wrote.... the parts in the <> obviously need edit/removal depending on the situation but otherwise anyone can tweek it for their own use. NB: This probably WONT come across well if you have already deleted their log :twisted: :lol: and probably works best on newer cachers. If you dont get a reply or they tell you f-off... then Id delete the log ;)
Hi <iPhone Cacher Name>!

Thanks for finding my cache <hide-I-spent- a- good-bit-of-effort-on-to-create-your-experience> the other day, I hope you had fun on the hunt. ... On that, if you need any help or advice on hiding a great <first> cache others will rave about or have any other questions let me know and Id be happy to help. Or why not come check out the Geocaching Australia Forums (http://forum.geocaching.com.au/) which are great fun and where any and all questions can be answered :D

Now that is impressive, certainly a better "way with words" than me.

I've taken a copy and saved it to a text file for future use. Thanks Zalgariath.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 July 11 10:49 am

Yurt wrote:I know we all seem to accept what GS says as the word of God, carved in stone, received by Moses on Mt Sinai but why the flip can't they make it a requirement that an online log be done?
Oh, I don't think so :mrgreen:
Would you like GCA to mandate a "log length"? If so, start a new thread with your proposal. We could then discuss it and if applicable, we might be able to do something. Be aware of . . . . . . . . . . which would meet the 10 word minimum.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 July 11 12:53 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Yurt wrote:I know we all seem to accept what GS says as the word of God, carved in stone, received by Moses on Mt Sinai but why the flip can't they make it a requirement that an online log be done?
Would you like GCA to mandate a "log length"? If so, start a new thread with your proposal. We could then discuss it and if applicable, we might be able to do something. Be aware of . . . . . . . . . . which would meet the 10 word minimum.
Look I know we DON'T have to do that on GCA because people who regularly find GCA caches are such lovely caring people they'd NEVER think of submitting a blank log! =D>
(not tongue in cheek either - I think that'd be 99.9% true)

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 08 July 11 1:45 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
And end up with cookie cutter logs , what would be the point?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 July 11 2:04 pm

Ministro wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
And end up with cookie cutter logs , what would be the point?
They would be long, cookie cutter logs. :mrgreen:
But, congratulations, you saw the irony of making people enter longer logs.
No requirement, short . logs.
Requirement, long . . . . . . . . . . . . logs.
Lose / lose.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 08 July 11 2:17 pm

I get the random blank log or a bunch of newbies saying only TFTC.
I have however emailed a few of them explaining that longer logs make the hider happier and helps the next finders aware of any problems you may have seen or sus people about of such things. No responce.
Bah! I wonder why I bother but I know it must do some good.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 July 11 6:02 pm

MtnLioness wrote:I get the random blank log or a bunch of newbies saying only TFTC.
I have however emailed a few of them explaining that longer logs make the hider happier and helps the next finders aware of any problems you may have seen or sus people about of such things. No responce.
Bah! I wonder why I bother but I know it must do some good.
I'm fairly sure a lot of people just use spammy email addresses to join as they never respond to anything. If you had to confirm the email was for real before joining it would help but man that's just another regulation so it would kill the buzz for these fairweather cachers.

Case in point, I may have mentioned this before - had a noob find one of mine in a series which had a clue in it for the final cache. This dude then goes and posts the clue in his log amidst a lot of other blather. I PMed him to remove the clue. No reply. PMed to say I'd delete the log. No reply. Deleted the log (the only one I've ever deleted) and PMed again to say they could relog it as they got the FTF. No reply.
They came back and found the other two in the series but never found the final even though they had the clues.

Oh and they took the clue with them from the first one, (forgot that) so I had to go out and replace it. Found they'd traded it for an ATM cashcard :shock: , which I took to the bank to hand in.

:wink: Anyway I'll delete any blank logs on my caches and Groundspeak can sing for their supper! :wink:

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 08 July 11 10:10 pm

Is their a GS rule, regulation, or guideline about offensive cache logs?
Blank and similarly meaningless logs are offensive IMO.
:(

WanderingAus

Post by WanderingAus » 08 July 11 10:22 pm

Zalgariath wrote: Here is the one I wrote.... the parts in the <> obviously need edit/removal depending on the situation but otherwise anyone can tweek it for their own use. NB: This probably WONT come across well if you have already deleted their log :twisted: :lol: and probably works best on newer cachers. If you dont get a reply or they tell you f-off... then Id delete the log ;)
Hi <iPhone Cacher Name>!

Thanks for finding my cache <hide-I-spent- a- good-bit-of-effort-on-to-create-your-experience> the other day, I hope you had fun on the hunt. Just a quick email to see if you did actually enjoy the cache? I see you <are quite new to the hobby and> haven’t been writing logs, which as a cache hider is really disappointing. I blame the iPhone, as most of the time blank and TFTC logs come from people logging in the field instead of back home online. One of the best parts of our hobby is sharing your experiences with others, particularly the hider who has gone to the effort of creating the caches for you to have fun finding. I understand there are a number of rubbish caches out there which warrant little comment but for the most part it is considered polite to leave at least a few words for each log so the cache hider knows their effort has been appreciated…. (or that their cache needs improvement >:) Not only does this let the community share your experience, but also importantly lets the owner know what condition the cache is in, and can assist future finders.

I hope you continue to enjoy the hunt, and choose to give a little feedback in the future. <When you get your first hide out and see 5 blank, “TFTC” and “sent from my mobile device” logs on the cache you poured yourself into this will make more sense ;) >

On that, if you need any help or advice on hiding a great <first> cache others will rave about or have any other questions let me know and Id be happy to help. Or why not come check out the Geocaching Australia Forums (http://forum.geocaching.com.au/) which are great fun and where any and all questions can be answered :D

I just sent my first Zalgariath style message to a cacher of 5 days experience and 6 finds, the first three were blank, then 4 words, 4 words, 7 words. I live in eternal hope of further improvements to his logs.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 July 11 11:21 pm

WanderingAus wrote:I just sent my first Zalgariath style message to a cacher of 5 days experience and 6 finds, the first three were blank, then 4 words, 4 words, 7 words. I live in eternal hope of further improvements to his logs.
:D

I have updated the Wiki "Logging a Cache Page" with a passage on Blank Logs
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Logging_a_cache

I have also put the template up on its own page so others can cut/paste/edit (oh the irony! :lol: ) to their own satisfaction.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Blan ... l_Template

As Yurt said, a lot will go to 'spam' / unchecked email addresses... but if you get through to a few newbies and improve their caching habits its worth it.

PS -
PeceVerde wrote:Is their a GS rule, regulation, or guideline about offensive cache logs?
=D> =D> I wonder if that would fly? :P

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 July 11 12:22 am

PesceVerde wrote:Is their a GS rule, regulation, or guideline about offensive cache logs?
:(
I have a profound aversion to the letter "" (sorry, can't type the letter as I've removed it from my keyboard)
Can I use your argument to delete logs that include this offensive letter?

(If you don't think that's a silly enough argument, make up your own reductio ad absurdum)

The only reason you'd get away with deleting logs using this bogus argument is the likelihood that anyone posting blank logs probably won't know how to complain to gc to get them re-instated!

Personally, I appreciate the generally good logs I get on our caches, and ignore the "TFTH" or blank ones with only a fleeting disappointment.
I even ignore the spelling and grammatical errors, although that's harder for me!