River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
FreeTibet
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by FreeTibet » 26 June 07 9:45 pm

Cached wrote:I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?
I'd happily play without prizes... or perhaps pay a game fee to generate the funds. The organisation and running of the game are really fantastic, and that would be great if it stayed, with or without prizes. Thanks to all the administrators :)
Derringer wrote:For this team, it's all about the journey, challenge and location, not any pursuit of a prize or statistic.

Kevin
<p>
It's great to have people in the game who are playing in this spirit. I'm really looking forward to planning the next game well and getting to some of the kinds of caches that you get to Derringer!</p>
<p>I do however really love numbers so the statistics are an awesome aspect of the game... not so much the final placing (though I really want to finish) but the statistics, graphs etc really appeal to the nerd in me. </p>

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 26 June 07 10:30 pm

Are you lot still arguing about the colour of the lint in your navels? :?

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 26 June 07 10:41 pm

Bronze wrote:Are you lot still arguing about the colour of the lint in your navels? :?
You wouldn't believe how hard it is to fill a 22L cache with lint, then drag it through the bush, up a hill, down a valley, through a river, and end up 15m below sea level, 2km's from where you started :D

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 26 June 07 10:52 pm

Bronze wrote:Are you lot still arguing about the colour of the lint in your navels? :?
It's always blue isn't it :?: :P

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 26 June 07 10:56 pm

Oh gawd?

PM me when it over please someone. Image

DDTs
1900 or more caches found
1900 or more caches found

Post by DDTs » 27 June 07 12:29 am

Ok, we have been slack logging any finds this year . . . but work wouldn't permit any caching for the first month or more, and then we made a claim and ended up on the bottom of the ladder with zero points and thought that was so cool we would like to keep the score!!!!! (We realise that we don't have the low score needed for a prize).

We would also like to say thank you to the organisers - we had fun planning the WA caches we could do for the game !!! We will play again next year (should someone be so kind and generous as to organise another game . . .) Prizes aren't essential, but are a nice touch - we would be happy to donate some coins for a future competition.

Oh, and when we put that cache out before we left, it was a glorious sunny day on th mountain (albeit snow ont he ground!!!)

TNLNSL

Re: prizes

Post by TNLNSL » 27 June 07 11:18 am

Cached wrote:I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?
Prizes definitely help keep me motivated. The prizes for lower positions (10th, 15th, etc.) are an interesting touch. The tiered ranking (number of finds followed by points) creates the unusual situation that it can be to your advantage not to claim all 20 finds so as to maintain a winning position on the ladder.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 27 June 07 3:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
FreeTibet wrote:Also, I'm thinking about doing GCX3V5 Hiskins Trek for 15: Take a Stroll. I'll park nearby GCTAE1 Moodermere Magic, get the park od-ords, do both caches & come back. If it's not over 2kms, can I make some detours to ensure it's over 2kms? I can provide a track log if you wish.
That wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. I could walk around in circles for half an hour and log a drive by.
We intend doing Gorilla - GC264D (listed as being near the summit) and then head to plantman #24 - GCGJ02 (which is further away), using one of these for requirement 15 - Take a Stroll. The EPA website lists the summit return as 3km. Would the info from the EPA website be sufficient and if not, would the track log from where we parked our car, doing the 2 caches and return to the car be accepted?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 June 07 3:06 pm

andiamo wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
FreeTibet wrote:Also, I'm thinking about doing GCX3V5 Hiskins Trek for 15: Take a Stroll. I'll park nearby GCTAE1 Moodermere Magic, get the park od-ords, do both caches & come back. If it's not over 2kms, can I make some detours to ensure it's over 2kms? I can provide a track log if you wish.
That wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. I could walk around in circles for half an hour and log a drive by.
We intend doing Gorilla - GC264D (listed as being near the summit) and then head to plantman #24 - GCGJ02 (which is further away), using one of these for requirement 15 - Take a Stroll. The EPA website lists the summit return as 3km. Would the info from the EPA website be sufficient and if not, would the track log from where we parked our car, doing the 2 caches and return to the car be accepted?
Either one should be fine.

cooroy scouts
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

20 logged and enjoyed every one

Post by cooroy scouts » 27 June 07 4:18 pm

:lol: we are done and dusted :lol:
:lol: we will take this chance to thank all involved.this has proven to be well run and a great challenge.we would also like to thank the administrators for their patience with our logging.we too have realised the great satisfaction of doing and finding the harder caches.we like them so much that our next hides shall be up there with the other harder ones.
thanks again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
can we have a rest before the next game???????????
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TNLNSL

Re: 20 logged and enjoyed every one

Post by TNLNSL » 28 June 07 1:02 am

cooroy scouts wrote::lol: we are done and dusted :lol: ...
And a great score to boot. Congrats! It looks like GOCrazy is waiting to nip you at the finish--they need a 4/4.5 or better on their 20th find--so it is a fun race to watch from down on the ladder.

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 28 June 07 1:13 am

andiamo wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
As with our log, you can easily take a photo at the start of your climb. In the carpark there is a track sign showing the adequate distances .

GOCrazy

Thanks from GOCrazy

Post by GOCrazy » 28 June 07 10:18 am

We have just completed our 20th requirement and it has been quite a ride! :shock: The encouragement from cooroy scouts (and urdera) pushed us to new heights :wink: We did things that made our teenage kids shake their heads in disapproval and disbelief! Our finale, "Is it worth dying for? Cache", proves that we are GOCrazy! :? Many thanks to andy and vick. Also, a million thanks to the administrators of RDMH for doing all of the required work to make so many of us happy cachers and clarifying things when we needed it.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 28 June 07 10:49 am

a suggestion can we have a longer game
eg timeframe isn't long enough as I had winter sport to balance.
but thanks for the game anyway... ran out of spare time.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 June 07 12:03 pm

9 weeks to log 20 caches. That's only two per weekend (give or take).
Maybe the next game can be 30 requirements over 3 months.