TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

reasonjo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Re: TrigPointing

Post by reasonjo » 27 September 09 2:28 am

When I first saw this thread a little while back it really didn't hold much interest for me. I'm still new at this geocaching lark and my feeling was I'd just play around with the standard ol' geocache for a bit and then maybe later check out this trig point business. I didn't even know what a trig point was.

I've been offered a job (3 month contract) in a very remote area of the NT and am considering if I'm going to take it. One of the things I've looked at so far is if there are any caches in the area - and there are none. Not for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of kilometres.. there aren't even any in Nhulunbuy, which is a town of about 3000 people or so. There are, however, a few trig points that seem reasonably close (at least closer than any 'real' geocaches), so it's hardly surprising that trig points seem a little more interesting now! I'm still not sure how far away they are from the community I may be living in, and I'm not going to have a vehicle... but they might be accessible by mountain bike if I'm prepared to put a few hours into getting to them :)

I just sat down and read the entire thread from start to finish. Now.. I am NOT a geonerd.. not by any stretch of the imagination. I saw lots of talk about adding trig points that are not already in the bulk thingy that c@w added. How does one find out where these trig points are? There might be some closer than a several hour mountain bike ride that just aren't showing up because GCA doesn't know that they exist yet.

Is there a geonerd out there willing to help me out if I do take this job, go out to the boonies and want to start trying to find some trig points.. including trying to find some that don't exist (at least not on GCA) yet?

I might have a bit more of a look at the waymarking site that someone mentioned (was it Spindoc? I forget the name?) and see if there is anything out there that is waymarkable. There's a lake, a school, health clinic, police station, AFL oval (blech! stupid game!) and two roads out of town.. I think that's about it.

Rogue
7500 or more caches found
Twitter: steffvan

Post by Rogue » 28 September 09 2:34 am

What would you say constitutes a 'find' of a trig point, in instances where you can't physically touch the marker? How close would you say is a 'find'?

I found TP1017 today, well sort of. It appears to be on private property, but it's a trig station (ie large object on a tripod structure), and on top of a huge hill, and I could see it clearly from 250m away where I was standing on the nearest public road.

Find / not find? Archive? I have photos...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 September 09 10:05 am

Personal opinion only. I would archive it. 250m might be a bit too far away to have claimed to have visited.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 28 September 09 10:15 am

caughtatwork wrote:Personal opinion only. I would archive it. 250m might be a bit too far away to have claimed to have visited.
:-k I concur

Rogue
Twitter: steffvan

Post by Rogue » 28 September 09 12:11 pm

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking too.

Bushies2

Post by Bushies2 » 28 September 09 12:44 pm

We just found out about TrigPointing from our friend, Varuna co cacher and we became very interested and thrilled at the thought of hunting them in Kimberley area because we have no other caches to hunt in this area. We went off yesterday and found four at Wyndham area and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in spite of having to climb a bit to reach the trig point on top with this type of weather!! But it was loads of fun. Thanks to Varuna for letting us know about it. We could see plenty of Trig points in Kimberley and we are keen to hunt them! :mrgreen:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 September 09 3:10 pm

Bushies2 wrote:We just found out about TrigPointing from our friend, Varuna co cacher and we became very interested and thrilled at the thought of hunting them in Kimberley area because we have no other caches to hunt in this area. We went off yesterday and found four at Wyndham area and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in spite of having to climb a bit to reach the trig point on top with this type of weather!! But it was loads of fun. Thanks to Varuna for letting us know about it. We could see plenty of Trig points in Kimberley and we are keen to hunt them! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

You are exactly the type of cacher I was hoping might stumble upon TrigPoints. You don't have many container caches around you and TrigPoints are pretty much permanent and don't need anyone to maintain them.

You get a GCA find as well as the fun of getting out there and finding something at the end of your trek. I hope you enjoy them.

Bushies2

Post by Bushies2 » 28 September 09 4:20 pm

Thanks for your comment. I need an advice from you because I read somewhere in GCA about TrigPointing but couldn't find it, it is about finding a TP and logging in, it mentions something about changing the name of TP for an example there are two same names for Wyndham area, they both are called Guda Guda (nine mile)areas we have found both and I am wondering if I can change one Guda name to something like Wyndham Wireless Station, that's the place where one of TP is located. So could you please advise me. I will log in our other three finds this afternoon. Thanks :-k

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 28 September 09 4:41 pm

Gday Bushies2,

Hope this helps, I've updated C@W's wiki page for trig points. Its still basic but the link should take you to the info you need.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Trigpoint#Editing

Paul

Bushies2

Post by Bushies2 » 28 September 09 5:33 pm

Thanks Paul. It doesn't say about changing the name of TPs so I guess I will leave the names as they are seen on the listings, what do you think? I already have changed the terrain/difficulty but will need to add a few things like about going by 4WD, etc.

Carol

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 September 09 5:53 pm

Please feel free to rename the TrigPoint if you feel that a different name will be more meaningful.

Bushies2

Post by Bushies2 » 28 September 09 6:51 pm

Fantastic! Thanks caughtatwork. Will change the name soon. :mrgreen: \:D/

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 October 09 1:43 am

Cool, might rename the one I found on the weeked as the park name means nothing to anyone, but the mountain it was on will make snese to a lot more people.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 01 October 09 5:16 pm

I'm a bit confused. there a couple of TrigPoints in my area, and none have been 'found' is this because people a) dont want to find them b) dont know about them or c) i'm missing something?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 October 09 7:36 pm

Captain Terror wrote:I'm a bit confused. there a couple of TrigPoints in my area, and none have been 'found' is this because people a) dont want to find them b) dont know about them or c) i'm missing something?
There were a few vocal anti-GCA Brisbanites who flew the "separatists are going to ruin the game" flag when GCA started listing caches. They have colluded with the Melbournians to shun hiders of GCA caches and those who seek them. :P