Interview Email ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 15 April 04 9:44 am

The Canberra Chronicle (free weekly) had a full page article on Geocaching in early July 2003. See the cache "Vernon's View" by ThomasS - see the July 2003 entries. <p>

The Article was titled something like"State of excitement in the ACT - Geocaching" - it made an interesting read, from memory it wasn't too bad and was generally OK. <p>

One bad effect of that article though, the particular cache got geomuggled. ThomasS since reinstated it. <p>

Also, if my recollection is correct, the article was done without consultation with any geocachers, it seems the writer merely read all about it, scanned the geocaching sites etc etc. <p>

Some people may have a copy of that article - see the logs.

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 15 April 04 9:56 am

There was an article in Silicon Chip way back. Ideology had it on their web site. There was the verbal one"Radio Chaos".
Hounddog has written to many magazines and approached camping stores but most couldn't give a rats . We had the guy from APC who placed a cache and visited a few and now he is gone.
I would say give the guy a chance he may be just the one that is needed.
And NO I am not a Geograper or geek.

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 15 April 04 11:06 am

Seems there are quite a few articles about geocaching in newspapers now. Just goto google news search http://news.google.com/ and put in 'geocaching'. Some of the articles listed are interesting and worth a read and I haven't found any negative ones in my quick look as yet.

Two Happy Dogs

Interview request.

Post by Two Happy Dogs » 15 April 04 3:27 pm

Glad my request has generated some interest. I can address some of the points raised directly.<P>

The article is not intended to be condescending or derogatory. I visited Llamas in Pajamas on the weekend - it's near my house. I'll be out geocaching this weekend too. I registered under the name "Two Happy Dogs" although I suspect that is quite similar to another person's nickname so I might end up changing it. <p>

The google search someone mentioned doesn't work very well. If you want to check me out go to http://www.davidkillick.com/resume/ (a bit dated, since I'm now AAP's Melbourne Bureau Chief) or ring me on the telephone number I provided in the original e-mail. Either way you'll find out I'm a senior journalist with 15 years experience covering everything from Olympic Games to federal politics to flashmobs. The article will be an 800 word outline of the sport, will touch briefly on the Global Convergance Project, and will be aimed aimed at a general newspaper audience.<p>

I'm happy to do an interview by telephone or by e-mail, I thought e-mail would be more convenient. I'm happy to e-mail a copy of the article to anyone interested after it goes on the wire, but I don't know any journalist who lets interview subjects edit their work.<p>

If anyone who I contacted has any questions, please get in touch with me directly. If you're not interested in participating, just say so.<p>

My deadline was this afternoon, but since I've had no responses I've held the article over until next week.<p>

cheers,
<P>
David Killick.

ideology

Post by ideology » 15 April 04 4:26 pm

Two Happy Dogs wrote:I've had no responses
david, why don't you start a new thread with your questions and indicate that all replies are on the record

Two Happy Dogs

Post by Two Happy Dogs » 15 April 04 4:37 pm

Thanks, that idea did occur to me, but I was trying to limit the number of people I was dealing with and I'd prefer to deal with people one on one. I didn't anticipate the process becoming so public.<p>

cheers,<p>

David.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 April 04 5:11 pm

Hmmm, Might be worth checking your mail server, As I replied 2 days ago ? And only about an hour or two after I recieved the mail from your end...

Maybe David's best bet is to pick one or two teams that he can use as interviewee's ?
Sorry for making it public David, well public within the geocaching ranks anyway..

I personally suggest you should inquire about interviewing the most active team in Australia: maccamob..
Last edited by Team Piggy on 15 April 04 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Two Happy Dogs

Post by Two Happy Dogs » 15 April 04 5:14 pm

Thanks Team Piggy. I suspect you've replied to my private address rather than my work address. I only sent the e-mail yesterday, so you did well to reply so quickly :D <p>

I'll check it tonight and get back to you tomorrow.<p>

I'll get in touch with Maccamob too, thanks for the tip.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 15 April 04 5:18 pm

Bingo... I sent to your brand name website address that I recieved it from.

Thanks for popping up and introducing yourself, I see you have a pretty broad writing span.
I spent a few hours last night going thru a lot of it, and look forward to an article about geocaching written by yourself..

I feel introducing newbies to the sport is a good thing, change is as good as a holiday they say..
New people bring new ideas, stops things getting stale.

Again Sorry for going geo-public, but I always ask for group feedback before putting my trotter in..
(Saves anyone feeling left out you see ) !

Cheers.

TP.

Two Happy Dogs

Post by Two Happy Dogs » 15 April 04 5:27 pm

No worries, I should have expected some confusion given I registered using my home details. The idea of writing an article didn't occur to me until later.<p>

No big deal about going 'public'. I appreciate the confidence you're expressing after checking me out!<p>

I quite enjoyed finding my first cache. I'm sure other people would like to hear about the sport. They can make up their own minds whether they want to scoff or to give it a go, although I suspect some will do the latter. I'll be recounting my own experience finding a cache. I also solemnly promise not to use the work geek more than once.<p>

cheers,<p>

David.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 15 April 04 6:34 pm

Two Happy Dogs wrote:No worries, I should have expected some confusion given I registered using my home details. The idea of writing an article didn't occur to me until later.<p>

No big deal about going 'public'. I appreciate the confidence you're expressing after checking me out!<p>

I quite enjoyed finding my first cache. I'm sure other people would like to hear about the sport. They can make up their own minds whether they want to scoff or to give it a go, although I suspect some will do the latter. I'll be recounting my own experience finding a cache. I also solemnly promise not to use the work geek more than once.<p>

cheers,<p>

David.
Now that you are officially a geocacher - with a find, welcome to the sport.
I was a touch concerned after reading in maccamob's post that you had registered on the secondary site over three years ago with no activity and then wanted to write an article.
Your resume looks impressive and if you end up with something in the same vien as the bushwalking articles on your site it would be good.

Two Happy Dogs

Post by Two Happy Dogs » 15 April 04 6:56 pm

riblit wrote:
I was a touch concerned after reading in maccamob's post that you had registered on the secondary site over three years ago with no activity and then wanted to write an article.
Your resume looks impressive and if you end up with something in the same vien as the bushwalking articles on your site it would be good.
Thanks. I must have registered with the best of intentions a few years ago when I was living in Tassie, but I was diverted by a spell of orienteering and some rogaining. I had quite forgotten. I have been lurking a while but haven't had the time to get out. I made a very poor attempt at Sweetbread on Monday before getting Lamas in one go. I've got a few more printed out at home to knock off as time allows.<p>

I usually put a fair bit more effort into my articles for work than for the writeups on my website, which are pretty flat accounts at best. I don't think there's a link on my front page, but I'm just back from a month sea kayaking (www.davidkillick.com/davey.htm). As usual, the photos are better than the words.<p>

Someone's pointed out that my username is similar to that of a long established and well known geocacher. Does anyone know an easy way to change this without re-registering?<p>

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 15 April 04 10:29 pm

Two Happy Dogs wrote: Someone's pointed out that my username is similar to that of a long established and well known geocacher. Does anyone know an easy way to change this without re-registering?
But then you have and extra word in it.

On the secondary site you can change it from your profile. Here you can do a similiar thing..

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Interview request.

Post by EcoTeam » 15 April 04 11:50 pm

Two Happy Dogs wrote:Glad my request has generated some interest. I can address some of the points raised directly.<P>

The article is not intended to be condescending or derogatory. I visited Llamas in Pajamas on the weekend - it's near my house. I'll be out geocaching this weekend too. I registered under the name "Two Happy Dogs" although I suspect that is quite similar to another person's nickname so I might end up changing it. <p>

The google search someone mentioned doesn't work very well. If you want to check me out go to http://www.davidkillick.com/resume/ (a bit dated, since I'm now AAP's Melbourne Bureau Chief) or ring me on the telephone number I provided in the original e-mail. Either way you'll find out I'm a senior journalist with 15 years experience covering everything from Olympic Games to federal politics to flashmobs. The article will be an 800 word outline of the sport, will touch briefly on the Global Convergance Project, and will be aimed aimed at a general newspaper audience.<p>

I'm happy to do an interview by telephone or by e-mail, I thought e-mail would be more convenient. I'm happy to e-mail a copy of the article to anyone interested after it goes on the wire, but I don't know any journalist who lets interview subjects edit their work.<p>

If anyone who I contacted has any questions, please get in touch with me directly. If you're not interested in participating, just say so.<p>

My deadline was this afternoon, but since I've had no responses I've held the article over until next week.<p>

cheers,
<P>
David Killick.
Hi David,
I would be happy to be interviewed if you can'd find anyone else, you can email me at david@alternatezone.com
My caching web page is www.alternatezone.com/ecoteam
You might also want to check out the latest edition of the Australian Geocaching newsletter:
www.geocaching.com.au/newsletter

Regards
EcoDave :)

Bronze

Interview-

Post by Bronze » 16 April 04 9:46 am

I'm happy to put my hand up on behalf of our regions Red Ochre Caching. We have four active teams managing 66 caches here and on the coast. We have a new member in our mist who found his first cache (Mini ACME) using a 1:50,000 topo. How cool is that. We will set him up with an eTrex until he can get his own. Met him and his lovely lady and child yesterday. Very nice people.

Drop me a line David if you want a western NSW (Rural) perspective.
thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com

The Bronze. (Dubbo)
Red Ochre Caching

The Bronze, Geo-Nads, Mix76, Team '80' - Clean up Australia Day.
http://geocaching.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... cito+dubbo