How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: How far would YOU travel for a FTF?

Post by Zalgariath » 05 July 10 12:46 am

GC28QEY - DD3-9 Boondi Rocks.... 2882km from home as the crow flies... OK so I didnt go to WA JUST to find this cache... but I was the first to take the 5km detour off the Hwy to grab it! :)

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 05 July 10 1:49 am

Central Queensland to the bottom of Tasmania, to try to get FTF on Meleluca, in the South West wilderness area. Unfortunately for me, the FTF went about 2 weeks before our arrival. The overall trip was 5 weeks, and just under 10000km.

And yes, Ifs Torture Test, co-owned by me, is supposed to be difficult, and frustrating, hence its name.

Cheers
Bundy

JABs
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 05 July 10 8:20 am

I love how some will travel great distances to grad a FTF but then miss those which hidden right under there nose. The great have fallen.
I find those FTF's you get when least expected are the best ones.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 05 July 10 2:59 pm

It is good to know I am not the only one with the FTF bug. Not traveled as far as most of you for a FTF. I do specifically go out only to nab a FTF and drive 1-2 hours to get to it.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 05 July 10 6:33 pm

And a couple of years ago, I did a 900km round trip in 25 hrs, to nab 5 FTFs, and 4 other caches.

Cheers
Bundy

on4bam

Post by on4bam » 05 July 10 7:10 pm

While not exactly a special trip for a FTF, my first (and only) FTF was [urlhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.a ... 6a7d&log=y] GC1WCD7 [/url]. It was published July 25th 2009 and I got it on the 29th 9360.5Km from home. When you want a FTF in Belgium you'd better have your emails on your phone as many caches are found within hours of being published. A while back I was 4th to find about 4-5 hours after a cache was published 10Km from home. Some of the cachers are on the road within 15 minutes of a cache being published. Good I'm not a FTF hunter, I'll take it if I can but won't go out of my way just be be first.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 05 July 10 7:52 pm

on4bam - it's like that in Sydney. Not many traditionals would last an hour after listing before being found. I've often got one 3-4 hours after publishing to be 4th or 5th to find.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 05 July 10 8:22 pm

The record I've seen is 18 minutes from publish to log - that's electronic log, not logging manually. And it wasn't an easy find either. They must have been in the next street when it came up.
GC29WDA

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 05 July 10 8:40 pm

Richary wrote:I did also get FTF on this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt= at 11 months old. We had planned a 4WD trip from Adelaide up the Strezlecki Track and I had always wanted to visit Coongie Lakes, the cache was a bonus.

That was about an 1150km drive ignoring the side trips we did to get there.
Cool, excellent bonus!! =D>
Zalgariath wrote:GC28QEY - DD3-9 Boondi Rocks.... 2882km from home as the crow flies... OK so I didnt go to WA JUST to find this cache... but I was the first to take the 5km detour off the Hwy to grab it! :)
Wow!! =D> Are you sure you didnt go just for the cache?? lolol 8)
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Central Queensland to the bottom of Tasmania, to try to get FTF on Meleluca, in the South West wilderness area. Unfortunately for me, the FTF went about 2 weeks before our arrival. The overall trip was 5 weeks, and just under 10000km.

And yes, Ifs Torture Test, co-owned by me, is supposed to be difficult, and frustrating, hence its name.

Cheers
Bundy
That would have been frustrating but I bet the trip was awesome!! And yes I gathered TT was meant to be hard!
JABs wrote:I love how some will travel great distances to grad a FTF but then miss those which hidden right under there nose. The great have fallen.
We actually thought someone may have found Loggy Bridge but hadnt logged it yet so we were very happy to find the log book empty. The cache had been published 9 days earlier so it was a bonus for us for sure!
covert wrote:It is good to know I am not the only one with the FTF bug. Not traveled as far as most of you for a FTF. I do specifically go out only to nab a FTF and drive 1-2 hours to get to it.
Lol, we have a reputation with a couple of local cachers who expect us be out on the hunt of a new cache these days and as I said if the conditions (time published/weather) are right - then we ARE! :mrgreen:
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:And a couple of years ago, I did a 900km round trip in 25 hrs, to nab 5 FTFs, and 4 other caches.

Cheers
Bundy
WOW!! That would be so cool! =D> I must admit tho when the 10th anniversary GCA caches were released in May I really only wanted to get 1 FTF to give a chance to other cachers - it took a visit to 2 different caches before I (JMelb) got the 1 tho!! I would have had time to try one more before going to work but decided I wouldnt. If the the localish ones hadnt been found by the next afternoon (next chance I had) then I would have tried for more tho lol
on4bam wrote:While not exactly a special trip for a FTF, my first (and only) FTF was [urlhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.a ... 6a7d&log=y] GC1WCD7 [/url]. It was published July 25th 2009 and I got it on the 29th 9360.5Km from home. When you want a FTF in Belgium you'd better have your emails on your phone as many caches are found within hours of being published. A while back I was 4th to find about 4-5 hours after a cache was published 10Km from home. Some of the cachers are on the road within 15 minutes of a cache being published. Good I'm not a FTF hunter, I'll take it if I can but won't go out of my way just be be first.
Wow!! =D> Cool, I loved seeing the Japenese Logs - couldn't read them mind you but it was col looking at them lol
Richary wrote:on4bam - it's like that in Sydney. Not many traditionals would last an hour after listing before being found. I've often got one 3-4 hours after publishing to be 4th or 5th to find.
Ditto here in Eastern Suburbs Melbourne .... usually a new cache has a few finds within 1-2 hours unless it's pouring rain or published really really late here (coz of the time difference to where the Ump lives)
Yurt wrote:The record I've seen is 18 minutes from publish to log - that's electronic log, not logging manually. And it wasn't an easy find either. They must have been in the next street when it came up.
GC29WDA
Wow that's pretty cool!! =D> There have been some pretty quick ones here in Melbourne too.

Keep the stories (and links) coming - they are fun and interesting to read!!!

GJMMelb

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 05 July 10 8:58 pm

GJMMelb wrote:
Richary wrote:I did also get FTF on this one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt= at 11 months old. We had planned a 4WD trip from Adelaide up the Strezlecki Track and I had always wanted to visit Coongie Lakes, the cache was a bonus.

That was about an 1150km drive ignoring the side trips we did to get there.
Cool, excellent bonus!! =D>
Zalgariath wrote:GC28QEY - DD3-9 Boondi Rocks.... 2882km from home as the crow flies... OK so I didnt go to WA JUST to find this cache... but I was the first to take the 5km detour off the Hwy to grab it! :)
Wow!! =D> Are you sure you didnt go just for the cache?? lolol 8)
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Central Queensland to the bottom of Tasmania, to try to get FTF on Meleluca, in the South West wilderness area. Unfortunately for me, the FTF went about 2 weeks before our arrival. The overall trip was 5 weeks, and just under 10000km.

Cheers
Bundy
That would have been frustrating but I bet the trip was awesome!! And yes I gathered TT was meant to be hard!
JABs wrote:I love how some will travel great distances to grad a FTF but then miss those which hidden right under there nose. The great have fallen.
We actually thought someone may have found Loggy Bridge but hadnt logged it yet so we were very happy to find the log book empty. The cache had been published 9 days earlier so it was a bonus for us for sure!
covert wrote:It is good to know I am not the only one with the FTF bug. Not traveled as far as most of you for a FTF. I do specifically go out only to nab a FTF and drive 1-2 hours to get to it.
Lol, we have a reputation with a couple of local cachers who expect us be out on the hunt of a new cache these days and as I said if the conditions (time published/weather) are right - then we ARE! :mrgreen:
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:And a couple of years ago, I did a 900km round trip in 25 hrs, to nab 5 FTFs, and 4 other caches.

Cheers
Bundy
WOW!! That would be so cool! =D> I must admit tho when the 10th anniversary GCA caches were released in May I really only wanted to get 1 FTF to give a chance to other cachers - it took a visit to 2 different caches before I (JMelb) got the 1 tho!! I would have had time to try one more before going to work but decided I wouldnt. If the the localish ones hadnt been found by the next afternoon (next chance I had) then I would have tried for more tho lol
on4bam wrote:While not exactly a special trip for a FTF, my first (and only) FTF was [urlhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.a ... 6a7d&log=y] GC1WCD7 [/url]. It was published July 25th 2009 and I got it on the 29th 9360.5Km from home. When you want a FTF in Belgium you'd better have your emails on your phone as many caches are found within hours of being published. A while back I was 4th to find about 4-5 hours after a cache was published 10Km from home. Some of the cachers are on the road within 15 minutes of a cache being published. Good I'm not a FTF hunter, I'll take it if I can but won't go out of my way just be be first.
Wow!! =D> Cool, I loved seeing the Japenese Logs - couldn't read them mind you but it was col looking at them lol
Richary wrote:on4bam - it's like that in Sydney. Not many traditionals would last an hour after listing before being found. I've often got one 3-4 hours after publishing to be 4th or 5th to find.
Ditto here in Eastern Suburbs Melbourne .... usually a new cache has a few finds within 1-2 hours unless it's pouring rain or published really really late here (coz of the time difference to where the Ump lives)
Yurt wrote:The record I've seen is 18 minutes from publish to log - that's electronic log, not logging manually. And it wasn't an easy find either. They must have been in the next street when it came up.
GC29WDA
Wow that's pretty cool!! =D> There have been some pretty quick ones here in Melbourne too.

GJMMelb
Ditto in Adelaide, if an urban (or near suburban) traditional cache gets published you'd actually get worried if it wasn't logged within the hour. I'm pretty sure I can recall several that would beat the 18 minute mark.

Its most fun when a cache gets published in the CBD anywhere around lunchtime. There are several cachers that work in buildings within a couple of hundred metres of each other and it is LITERALLY a race to those caches.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 05 July 10 9:07 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
GJMMelb wrote:
GC29WDA

GJMMelb

Ditto in Adelaide, if an urban (or near suburban) traditional cache gets published you'd actually get worried if it wasn't logged within the hour. I'm pretty sure I can recall several that would beat the 18 minute mark.

Its most fun when a cache gets published in the CBD anywhere around lunchtime. There are several cachers that work in buildings within a couple of hundred metres of each other and it is LITERALLY a race to those caches.
That would be so funny and fun to be part of!!!!!

I have to be home and on the PC to see a new cache published - I dont have email alerts on my phone and altho we have borrowed an old laptop from Gary's work so we had access to emails etc while we were on our holiday in Mildura, I dont carry that around in the car either lol ........... I do need a new phone soon tho ......... maybe I will look at being able to access emails lolol!!
GJMMelb 8)

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 05 July 10 9:08 pm

A few ftf attempts in on different days in different directions at about 100km (ATCF) apiece, for a couple of successes and a couple of "close but no cigar"s. Great fun. :D

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 05 July 10 11:01 pm

You people show some great dedication! I haven't got a FTF yet and might need to set up some decent notification system to change that.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 06 July 10 10:19 am

Yurt wrote:The record I've seen is 18 minutes from publish to log - that's electronic log, not logging manually. And it wasn't an easy find either.
Chip and I left home, found GC1PCAJ and went home to log it. By the time we submitted our logs it was just less than fifteen minutes since the notification email had arrived!
:D :D :D

SA_ParrotHead
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by SA_ParrotHead » 06 July 10 10:58 am

The Parrot left from Adelaide and travelled to Birdsville and picked up a FTF on Big Red (Eastern Gateway to the Simpson Desert)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 1219198d00

That was a round trip of 2786.18 Kilometres.