My back yard

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

My back yard

Post by Bronze » 18 December 06 6:26 pm

:o You wouldn't believe it :o

I visited a cache site some weeks back and found a cache called the best view which is a new Biodiversity hill listing all the vegetation and fauna communities around Dubbo, something that interests me. Whilst at the site there were two new directional signs newly erected on the hill top. Many of the locations they listed I had been two many times whilst caching in the area, Goonoo SF, Goobang NP, Beni SF, Coolah Top NP etc etc. Whilst reading through these I found mention of a "Perched Lake" some 35 odd kilometers to the North of Dubbo. Interestingly this I had not been to.

Over the following weekend I asked many people about this "perched lake". As a geomorphologist myself features like this are quite fascinating. Nobody knew anything about it, cachers, locals, naturalists, historians. In fact even the name seemed lost to history and yet it got mention on this new signage.

A perched lake can only be formed one of four ways.
* man made - anthropological
* glacial action - hydrological/mechanical
* impact site - astrological
* paleo-oxbow lake (old billabong) - geomorphological.

So when I asked the 4WD Club guru and fellow cacher GeoNads he had heard of it and even gave it a name but had never been to it. "Old Harbour Lagoon". He also mentioned that it might be a meteorite crater. Excitement was building now. So last Friday after exploiting all my contacts I gave the council a call. Seeking the guru herself, Kerry Palmer I actually got the guy who put in the Bio gardens sign, Lynton Auld. He also named it and gave directions but had no knowledge of if it was a crater site.

So, last Saturday afternoon we set off to explore this unknown site everybody had forgotten. With some wrong turns we stopped and asked a local the way. He knew of it and where it was and event thought it was literally 5k's from his drive way he had never visited the site. He also said it was supposedly a meteorite crater. Now I was very excited. This was the second person to rumour that this was an impact site.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=-32.0943 ... =0&src=ggl
Dubbo can be seen at the bottom of the page and the crater can be clearly seen at the top almost due north.

Old Harbour Lagoon is infact an impact site with the nature reserve list as being 130 - 140ha depending on who you ask and where you read. As far as craters go it's a baby but it would have made a fair bang when it did occur. The centre is dead flat with a rim clearly noticeable. A propert owner grazes the centre with a North / South fence through the centre. The reserve cover the Eastern Side and is easily accessible through a couple of gates. There is a significant amount of non-indigenous history also on the site as well with it being a site for charcoal burners.

It has a 5m rim around the outer edge with trees lining the rim. The centre is grass filled and some dead trees scatter mostly on the eastern half. It is almost a perfect circle and although it is described as a lagoon there is no water within unsurprisingly.

As I get time I'll post some pictures and even find out a bit more from the property owner, datings, more history and just how it has become lost in the history books. I was amazed that so few people know about it and how easily I have scoured this land for the last 4 years with Mix and neither of us found it before now.

Goes to show there are still some great sites available without filling our parks with drive bys.

Bronze

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 December 06 7:18 pm

EDIT - Sorry, I do not know why the thumbnails are not working.
The Reserve Sign is in a bad way and well and truly forgotten about.

Ring of trees circling around looking at a North West aspect.

Looking across Crater from southern rim (enterance).

Looking up the entry gate from within crater. Approx elevation change of 4-5 meters total.

Historical Building #1 on crater edge.

Historical Building #2 - Charcoal Burners hut. 9 Meilers located behind.

Southern Edge Entrance but on Eastern side of property fence. Definite vegetation transition zone.

Needless to say this place was amazing. It is also very spooky. We visited on a rather windy afternoon if you remember it was the same afternoon that had the cool change that eased Victoria's fire threat. Even with the strong south easterly the trees in the centre of the crater were dead still and completely protected as they were so dense around the outer rim. The kids were playing in the sand and the dust they made just hung in the air around them. I so wanted a compass to see what weird stuff would happen to it. When I return perhaps.

My next course of action will be to find out more from the property owner and any Uni's that may know something about it. Info on the net seems very limited. Mostly the considered date of impact, site studies, geological point of interest and water regimes.

Will there be a cache there - well yes most probably. I'm going to recycle a nearby cache that is in a location that compared to this seems a non-event. It is called "Spheroid 700" so I guess it a fitting cache to use.

edit - make image links work - riblit

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 18 December 06 7:44 pm

::edit:: i didn't read all of your posting ::/edit::

Interesting location....i wonder why no-one knew about the area :shock: 8) Nice write-up....

mm

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 18 December 06 8:01 pm

Bronze, you know we love you, but......... when I saw the thread called My Backyard, I thought you were going to give us some really 'interesting' story about the piece of dirt with grass behind your house. Glad to say I was very wrong!

That's awesome Bronze. No doubt about you, you know how to find the info and put it to great use. Can't wait to find the cache that you hide there. I remember when you asked almighty Mr Nads about the lake and I remember feeling a twinge of excitement about it too. Glad to see that you managed to solve the mystery.

I feel happy that the future of our land is in your hands, then I remember all the hair brained things you do and instantly I'm worried again. ;)

1st lady

Team Geo-Nads
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Team Geo-Nads » 18 December 06 8:51 pm

See I told you so, but you wouldn't believe me would you.

cruzzzinaround
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by cruzzzinaround » 18 December 06 9:06 pm

im excited !!!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 18 December 06 9:14 pm

Nice write up Bronze. How deep is it? You mention a 5M rim. I assume thats above the normal ground level. <p>

Code: Select all

to make a link you need to "wrap" the image link in a url link.

[url=href://whatever][img]http://whatever.small][/img][/url]

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 18 December 06 9:41 pm

I'm not sure I've had the pleasure I meeting you yet Cruzzzin. I'm looking forward to that.

Nads - You said you didn't really know about it. I believed you. :D

First Lady - I have a really interesting story about the dirk under the grass in my back yard which start with standing on a goats head burr. I share it when I'm pissed on port, it's 3am and I have mobile signal.

Ribilt - It's very hard to calculate by eye because the land does have a natural slope anyhow around the crater rim itself but I would guess it rises perhaps 2-3 meters before you actually go in and then 5 meters down leaving the centre of the crater about 2 meters below the surrounding height of land. It would be a better activity to have some student learn how to use a theodolite there and measure it far more accurately. Would be a lovely little project to have that happen in the N, W, S, and E quadrants of the rim and calculate the angle of impact perhaps based on the shape of the rim heap.

Once I place an actual cache there I was thinking of a picnic event there to discuss this next big Red Ochre Event. After Christmas of course and closer to the middle / end of January.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: My back yard

Post by TeamAstro » 18 December 06 10:37 pm

Bronze wrote::o You wouldn't believe it :o

Bronze
...* impact site - astrological xx astronomical :D (cringe)

..need a cuppa now.

PS, do any online Earth Impact Structure databases list this?

clear skies
Astro.

president & 1st lady

Post by president & 1st lady » 18 December 06 10:46 pm

TeamAstro wrote:
Bronze wrote::o You wouldn't believe it :o

Bronze
...* impact site - astrological xx astronomical :D (cringe)
Can't believe I didn't pick that one up. That'll teach me to scan rather than read the words. Wait till I see the Bronze again! Gives a whole new meaning to Dave Gorman's Important Astrology Experiment.

1st lady

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 18 December 06 11:50 pm

Bronze wrote: A perched lake can only be formed one of four ways.
Bronze
So which one of these accounts for the perched lakes on Fraser Island? :?

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 19 December 06 7:14 pm

<p>A Perched Lake

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 December 06 9:40 pm

The Ginger Loon wrote: So which one of these accounts for the perched lakes on Fraser Island? :?
Geomorphological - Wind and fluvial action. :wink:

Yeah, yours Rabbitto is anthropological at a guess. :D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 December 06 10:58 pm

Well this is now the official site for our next Red Ochre Cachers Event.

Earth Shattering Kaboom - (GCZWQ6)
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 62207156e8

If you a local Red Ochre Cacher or want to go for a drive that weekend we will be in the guts of the Crater on Saturday the 20th of January enjoying comfy chairs, foods, beverages, light music, the sunset and the stars.

Those willing to sleep under the stars in a swag are willing to stay with us however my wife and youngest son will be heading back into Dubbo just after dusk if people would like a ride back into town.

So far I have interest from Cruzzzinaround, President and First Lady. How about you?

Bronze.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 21 December 06 8:32 am

So far I have interest from Cruzzzinaround, President and First Lady. How about you?
sorry driving 350km's for the SECS @ xmas show was enough, let alone 1009.9 km's. :D :D :D

have a great time though, sure looks like an interesting place