Any opposition to geo-name changes

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Any opposition to geo-name changes

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 10 October 21 3:19 pm

Hi all.

I'm seriously considering changing my geocaching name. The reason being, some people see it as pessimistic and I'm currently working on becoming more optimistic. I saw the name as opportunistic - do it now, take the opportunity in front of you now because t might not come up again, or "live now like there's no tomorrow". Before I took on No_Tomorrow as my name it was Mayb3Tomorrow (or spelt something like that) which was how I lived and I wanted to change that. I guess I saw it as being like buying clothes one size too small - an incentive to change to fit it.

Of course I then went on to make a YouTube channel, did a few podcast episodes, and met a lot of awesome people who know me by that name so have felt it might be wrong to change it again. Neither the YouTube channel or podcast are important to me now though, but fellow geocachers I care about.

So I'm looking for the community's feedback on:
- do you think I should keep No_Tomorrow as my cacher name,
and
- has anyone got any name suggestions? Nothing is too silly or crazy and a good laugh is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Linda

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Re: Any opposition to geo-name changes

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 10 October 21 8:09 pm

Everyone plays their own way. Play your own game and don't worry about what others think. Keep your name. It means something to you and it doesn't matter if anyone want's to read something into it.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 11 October 21 9:05 am

It is, of course, your decision.

I like No_Tomorrow. I"m used to it, anyway, but it sounds like a challenge. Something you yell at the world, like the Doctor shouts, "Geronimo!!"

And you may have guessed from my user name, but clever witty ideas is not my forte. Sorry.

Wendy

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 11 October 21 9:37 am

Linda,

I agree with Wazza that if it means something to you (and it seems to reflect your attitude to life) then keep it.

Personally I like your user name but user names are funny things. There are times when someone has come up to me and said "why Black Bunny" and it can provide the opportunity to break the ice and have a good conversation.

Either way (if you choose to change it or keep it) we hope to catch up with you when we can hit the road again when lockdown lifts.

Steve

Team737
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lee.drury.71066/

Post by Team737 » 11 October 21 7:53 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:
10 October 21 3:19 pm
I saw the name as opportunistic - do it now, take the opportunity in front of you now because t might not come up again, or "live now like there's no tomorrow".
I've always interpreted your name in that way - live like there's no tomorrow..... so definitely in a positive light.
So I'd vote to keep it - people know and respect that name.
Of course it is your choice, nobody has any right to oppose a name change.....

I've always thought mine was pretty dull, but I can be dull at times, so maybe the shoe fits! :)
But then the kids were thrilled to have their own accounts just like mine, so that was cool..... I like to think I live/cache like the kids are growing up too fast, and might not want to go caching with their Dad forever....

Lee

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 13 October 21 11:02 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. I also asked on instagram and pretty much got the same response.

The name will not change... for now anyway. :)

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 26 April 22 12:00 pm

I'd kind of like to change my name because it was just a quick decision late one night in 2002 to get access to the site, my initials and postcode.
But 20 years down the track, with pathtags and trackables and 150 odd caches it would just be too traumatic.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 12 June 22 9:53 am

I’m glad you kept your name. Worrying about what others think of your geocaching journey is a waste of your time.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 29 August 22 2:56 pm

Well, I've decided to do it. Not for anyone else but myself. I feel like the cacher I used to be is history. Therefore I don't care about staying connected to the podcasts or YouTube videos or whatever using the old name.

Its not a big change, but it's about being/bringing the change. And I myself have changed. So why not change the name.

A looooong time ago I read a book by Eva Cox (had no clue who she was at the time either). The only thing I took away from that book was a question her father used to ask her each afternoon. "What have you done today to make the world a better place". It's stuck in my head through all these years. And after spending the weekend with a couple of my chillen and grandies, I found me asking myself a variant of that question. What could i do to make the future a better place for my chillen and grandies?

So for now, 'No_Tommorow' is yesterday and 'Now_To_Morrow' is the new name. I'll probably want to change it again in a couple of years. Haha.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 29 September 22 8:11 am

New questions about names:

How often can you change your geocaching name with GCA?
Is there a character limit for length of names?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 September 22 10:10 am

You can change your CACHER name anytime you want. It's self service. Changing your FORUM name is at the whim and time and interest of the administrators.

Your FORUM name can be up to 255 characters.
Your CACHER name can be up to 50 characters.

Avoid + and & if your cacher name as they are treated by the browser as special characters and will break stuff.
Preference is to use standard characters (no weird glyphs) as they are also likely to break stuff.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 02 October 22 7:58 pm

Thanks for that. :D