mobiles with apps to find caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
64EH

mobiles with apps to find caches

Post by 64EH » 09 June 11 9:25 pm

I will be going android for my next mobile phone purchase, tossing up btwn 3 options (however I am open to other options) HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire S, Samsung Galaxy S2...or ??? What are peoples experiences using these or other mobiles with apps to find caches?

juc_cacher

Re: mobiles with apps to find caches

Post by juc_cacher » 10 June 11 12:27 am

I use an HTC Hero quite a lot for caching. I find the GPS marginally less accurate than the E-trex under tough conditions (valleys, city streets, heavy tree canopies), but there's usually not a lot in it and in the open, they are both equal.

The HTC is excellent for spur-of-the-moment caching. I also find the live maps of the apps very handy when driving along and the ability to download PQ's from GC is very useful too.

I don't use the phone for logging, note-keeping etc, so I can't speak about those.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 10 June 11 3:04 pm

I am using a HTC wildfire
I find that the GPS is better than the etrex in urban areas...
Haven't had a go in country ares yet but I'm guessing performance will be similar to the etrex...

As for apps I'm using c:geo which is simple and easy to use but it is a little slow sometimes and some of the features are hard to find...

The other thing to watch out for is battery life while the GPS (and apps) are running - I can get a good day of caching with one battery charge on the HTC wildfire which I think is reasonably good...

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 12 June 11 12:35 am

Well im using the LG GT40 with cache mate wich has does my for the spur of the moment caches or when i don't have my extex with me & i have found it not that far out.

Spreyton22

Post by Spreyton22 » 12 June 11 10:38 pm

Hi all - my first post !
I'm really happy with the motorola defy and c:geo software.
I do watch the old battery a bit to - we tend to do "tracking" of our walk at the same time.

To set caches, I use GPS Status.
Cheers,
Stephen

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 13 June 11 2:53 pm

I find the GPS in my HTC Desire to be quite good, but I much prefer my Oregon for use in the field, mainly because it's much easier to use, more robust. waterproof and easier to read.
The Desire would be ok by itself but a lot more fiddly, and it's very ease to touch the screen and send it off to a function you don't want just then.
They seem much better than the iPhone in the GPS accuracy department.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 15 June 11 5:59 am

While I have had some issues from the OS with my Garmin-Asus A50... if it is still $200 (unlocked, even though on the box it says it isnt :P) at Dicky's (or less) it has the same chip as a Garmin CS 60... and Ive found the accuracy brilliant even under the worst conditions. I use Geobeagle which is free and easy handling all GC, OK and GCA caches... I have 100,000 currently stored on it \:D/ Plus its a Nuvi... so you have lifetime unlimited map upgrades for turn by turn.

s_mc500
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by s_mc500 » 16 June 11 1:18 pm

Have used the iPhone for a number of caches with the GC app and also just a GPS app but it can be frustrating while it downloads maps or loses gps signal. A simple Garmin gps does a far better job.

64EH

Post by 64EH » 03 July 11 7:52 pm

Thank you to those who took the time to offer an opinion re mobiles with apps to find caches...
I have decided to go for the samsung galaxy s 2 for a mobile with geocaching apps as it is the first on the market with a dual core processor...as for a new GPS in the "sooner rather than later" future I'm strongly leaning towards the garmin oregon 450 gps...cheers

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 03 July 11 8:41 pm

I have the Desire HD and love it as a phone, but I have to say that the Nokia E71 had a superior ability to get a GPS lock and I still haven't found a geocaching app as good and easy to use as SmartGPX, also on Nokia, although Locus Pro come pretty close (offline maps!!)