check your caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
huxie

check your caches

Post by huxie » 09 April 11 12:24 am

not happy we just been out caching and didnt find anything. suggestion please go and check you caches on a regular basis to make sure they are there thank you and happy caching

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: check your caches

Post by honeysucker » 09 April 11 1:10 am

Where were you caching what area

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 09 April 11 1:54 am

Unfortunately for them Huxie a lot of cachers do not log onto the GCA forums. Best course of action to get a check on a cache is to message the cache owner directly... or wait and see if others also DNF. You might be in luck and it will get found in a few days time and you can go back for another crack with confidence it is still there. If there is a problem the CO can act on it easier if you communicate through the cache page rather then on these forums ;)

belken

Post by belken » 09 April 11 8:47 am

Only one find so far. I would not say any caches are missing yet.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 09 April 11 1:20 pm

huxie, it looks like you're quite new, and appears you're caching in Adelaide. Zalgaraith's suggestion is a good one, but let us know which caches in which area you've been looking for here too - there are quite a few Adelaideans on the forum who are pretty familiar with the caches in SA and would be able to tell you how likely they are to be missing.

We could probably tell you if you've inadvertently picked some really tricky ones to start off with too. Believe me, you'll soon realise that just because you can't find a cache doesn't mean it's missing! There are plenty of caches around the place tricky enough to stump the most experienced cachers, with several thousand finds under their belt. You'll also find that sometimes, even the most simple of caches can still elude you. I couldn't count the number of times we've failed to find a supposedly easy cache, even after lots of searching, assumed it might be missing, only to see someone log it the next day with an "easy find" comment in their log! And when we go back for another look, sure enough, we find it easily (often with a "I'm SURE we looked there last time").

So don't get disillusioned. I couldn't imagine anything more frustrating that picking some tricky caches to cut your teeth on. If we know what area you're looking in we can probably suggest some easier ones to get you started so you can start to see what various tricks and hides are used.

pwags
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 09 April 11 1:40 pm

Hi huxie, and welcome to geocaching.

The most important thing you can do is to log a DNF for each of the caches you couldn't find. This is the most effective way to (a) notify the owner, and (b) inform other cachers. A string of DNFs from numerous people over time will then trigger the owner to check on the cache, or the reviewers to consider archiving an unloved cache.

Happy caching!

squeaky72

Post by squeaky72 » 10 April 11 4:09 pm

Im just looking around the forums when i came across this thread "Interesting." now can anyone help me find one of my caches Lol .
i have gone out to a few GZ and not found the cache. However once iv gone back over the logs they then seem to jump out at you. Unless your FTF

All the Best and Happy Hunting

Squeaky72

huxie

Post by huxie » 25 June 11 11:48 pm

hi everyone thanks for all the advise and tips we love caching and trying to get more time to get out there and go gaching ive also got 16 of my own caches out there with another three awaiting publication happy caching