The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Re: The Moving Cache Race for 2010/2011

Post by Tuena » 14 December 10 3:59 pm

Fixed.

tronador

Post by tronador » 14 December 10 4:02 pm

Fairly Magic wrote: so what do the game admins do when this rule is not followed?
Now we are all friendly, law abiding gnome movers, knowingly breaking the rules would be against the spirit of the race.

:D

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 14 December 10 4:40 pm

tronador wrote:
Fairly Magic wrote: so what do the game admins do when this rule is not followed?
Now we are all friendly, law abiding gnome movers, knowingly breaking the rules would be against the spirit of the race.

:? hope you didn't think that was what I was planning. Just noticed a couple of planned gnomes had been gnabbed, and with so few players down here I thought I had more time to get them. That will teach me to do housework on my day off.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 14 December 10 5:07 pm

That rule (2 people move the gnome/cache) needs to be looked at in the context of where the gnome is located. Presently there is no end of people who are willing to look for a gnome if it is located in a metro area or in the ACT.

Gnomes hidden in the country are lucky if 2 people look for them. I think there should be a rule similar to that applied to gnomes/caches that move overseas. As an example, a gnome/cache is moved to Townsville, no one looks for it & it is brought back by the same person who hid it there providing the period has elapsed.

I realized what would happen if I hid mine in the Shoalhaven so hid it along the Hume but not everybody has this option.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 14 December 10 5:21 pm

When 2 people are in a metro area and are passing a gnome between themselves - and moving their own gnome - and putting more than one 'found' log on gnomes - I think it's a bit dodgy.

On the other hand - aren't gnomes awesome! And they even love coffee!!

tronador

Post by tronador » 14 December 10 9:41 pm

Fairly Magic wrote:
tronador wrote:

:? hope you didn't think that was what I was planning. Just noticed a couple of planned gnomes had been gnabbed, and with so few players down here I thought I had more time to get them. That will teach me to do housework on my day off.
Sorry :( :( no not at all, I thought you must have come across a gnome who had not been logged correctly. Again I apologize if it came across the wrong way. :D :gnome :gnomette

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 10 2:23 am

Fairly Magic wrote:HI

I have a day off between being nice to harrassed/rude/over shopped christmas folk. I am trying to restore my niceoseness to yukky people by going gnoming :)

But I need a rule clarification please.

There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache provided there are at least two other finds / moves in between.

seems straight forward to me, so what do the game admins do when this rule is not followed?
It's to stop two people grabbing the cache, driving from one major city to the other and "dropping" it along the way.
Genuine moves and finds are generally OK, but I'm not going to police it too much.
Egregious rules breaking will DQ the gnome.
It's all a game and it's supposed to be fun, so enjoy.

Posted from Memphis, Tennessee where it's like -13C, I thought the South was supposed to be hot.

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 15 December 10 7:23 am

caughtatwork wrote:
It's to stop two people grabbing the cache, driving from one major city to the other and "dropping" it along the way.
Genuine moves and finds are generally OK, but I'm not going to police it too much.
Egregious rules breaking will DQ the gnome.
It's all a game and it's supposed to be fun, so enjoy.

Posted from Memphis, Tennessee where it's like -13C, I thought the South was supposed to be hot.
Ok thanks good news. mind you as all our gnomes are now MIA :( I don't have to worry about them being DQ'd.

As for the futher south getting hotter, you must have been talking to the Oprah show visitors that came to Tasmania expecting a tropical island with palm trees etc, because "the further south you go the closer to the equator you get and the hotter it gets" Guess someone forgot to tell them they flew over the equator to get to Australia :roll:

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 15 December 10 4:03 pm

Tuena wrote: Presently there is no end of people who are willing to look for a gnome if it is located in a metro area or in the ACT.
Not always...there's one poor lonely little guy I know languishing in a box behind a certain reception desk..the receptionist is getting worried 8) :gnome :gnome

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 15 December 10 9:24 pm

Come on guys & girls Doesn''t any one get past Dandenong My Gnome has been languishing for a while now.
Yeah i know that they can be lazy but hey some one need to kick them in the you know were.

Here are a few stats for my :gnome

Moves: 2.
Distance Traveled: 19.78.(total)
Cache Page veiwed: 63 times.
Last Moved/Placed: 8 December.

If it wasn't againgst the rules i would have considred moving him some were nearer to the city so he could potitionly get some K's up.
](*,) :stabby

stagetree

Post by stagetree » 15 December 10 9:27 pm

juc_cacher wrote:
Tuena wrote: Presently there is no end of people who are willing to look for a gnome if it is located in a metro area or in the ACT.
Not always...there's one poor lonely little guy I know languishing in a box behind a certain reception desk..the receptionist is getting worried 8) :gnome :gnome

Gnomes can do that to you. It's that unblinking stare to the back of the head. 8-[

Maybe everyone else is too wussy to walk up to the front desk and ask for the Gnome to be handed over. I might just have to come down again myself and rescue Passion for Fashion.

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 15 December 10 9:39 pm

stagetree wrote:
juc_cacher wrote:

Gnomes can do that to you. It's that unblinking stare to the back of the head. 8-[

Maybe everyone else is too wussy to walk up to the front desk and ask for the Gnome to be handed over. I might just have to come down again myself and rescue Passion for Fashion.
Where is the said Gnome????????????

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 15 December 10 9:52 pm

Rigger64 wrote:
stagetree wrote:
juc_cacher wrote:

Where is the said Gnome????????????
Yeah, Michelle said the stare was a bit much, so we have put him in a special accommodation unit :shock:

Here: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga2882 :gnome

juc_cacher

Post by juc_cacher » 15 December 10 9:55 pm

stagetree wrote:
juc_cacher wrote:

Michelle's not that scary, honest ... Brendan maybe, but not Michelle :P

They're used to dealing with scientists.. so some weirdo computer guy who leaves garden gnomes in a cardboard box at reception is pretty sane for that place :lol: :lol:

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 16 December 10 10:53 am

Anyone know why this movable shows up on the gnome map? It's where the map opens at present.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga2970
One of rogerw3's movables continuing the tradition from last year's race.