Log book paper

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Re: Log book paper

Post by Echo » 12 July 10 2:45 pm

Just be aware too that some of the rite in the rain papers are laser printing only and some are ink jet only. #-o

Info sheet

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 12 July 10 3:04 pm

On laminators (I just bought the GCA laminated stash notes too by the way, arrived today, look great) I was wondering about the enormous price range. I bought one at Officeworks last week. The cheap A4 version was $29 but they were out so I bought an A3 one for $49 - might need the extra size for kids' projects maybe. Anyway the others there were $250 and $330! Are they THAT much better?

I note the laminating pouches are very expensive too - a few dollars each if I recall correctly for A4 but I spotted a pack of 10 for $2 so will see how they go. Might be rubbish but I'm not presenting at a conference so it doesn't matter that much.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 July 10 3:13 pm

The cheapie ones will do 80 microns.
The expensive ones will do 150+ microns.
A standard business card sized pocket is 150 micros (125 each side) so may not seal properly with an 80 micros laminator.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 13 July 10 8:53 pm

Echo wrote:Just be aware too that some of the rite in the rain papers are laser printing only and some are ink jet only. #-o

Info sheet
Are they ok for actually writing on, with a possibly less than perfect pen or pencil?

darth trader
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: darthtrader77

Post by darth trader » 28 July 10 8:58 pm

I just found another supplier 8-[

<url ="http://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=32">

kennythe1st

Post by kennythe1st » 29 July 10 12:50 am

Yurt wrote:On laminators (I just bought the GCA laminated stash notes too by the way, arrived today, look great) I was wondering about the enormous price range. I bought one at Officeworks last week. The cheap A4 version was $29 but they were out so I bought an A3 one for $49 - might need the extra size for kids' projects maybe. Anyway the others there were $250 and $330! Are they THAT much better?
Were the expensive ones pouch laminators Yurt? (btw are you Yurtie who used to have a column in an mtb mag? Live in same area I notice).

In broad terms there are 2 styles of laminating and one of those has 2 types of laminating (not to mention variations on the themes).

STYLES

Pouch laminating is a style. Cheap equipment. Great for stash notes, menus and situations where moisture is present. Like when you tip your glass of wine over the menu (could that be the origin of the word 'tipsy'?).

Roll laminating is a style. Commercial use mainly. Equipment can be darned expensive. Enables trimming to edge of underlying or sandwiched substrate (card, paper) to look neat and professional.

TYPES

For rolls, fundamentally there is hot laminating and cold laminating.

Hot laminating is cheap and is fine for short term use.
Cold laminating is top quality (there are various grades of 'top'). Less prone than hot lam to separate at the edges and stays laminated longer.

We rarely used hot lam but for cold lam you (or rather, your printer), do have to be aware of pitfalls. Some types of print coating don't gel well :lol: with cold lam.

If you want to learn a bit more, take a look at http://www.tlc.net.au and pick Sydney 'cos the Melbourne site displays pretty pictures but doesn't go anywhere (in Firefox anyway). And, no, I don't have any connection with those guys except that in my previous business they were pre-eminent in educating their clients and anyone else who was interested.

THE GOOD OIL

Use pouch laminators for stash notes - buy them from GA Shop unless you have a genuine need for a laminator. Or use synthetic papers -- but don't get me started on that.

Past my bedtime, Kenny :)

Black Bunny

Post by Black Bunny » 29 July 10 8:09 am

I've noticed that the write in the rain sorts of paper do require cetain types of writing implement. I have a nice purple pen that I use a lot in the field, but it's a runny sort of pen, and the writing smudges when I have to roll up a small log. It never seems to dry on the funny paper. Biros seem to be all right.

Wendy