Tell us about your motorbike caching !

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Tell us about your motorbike caching !

Post by covert » 22 June 10 7:31 pm

I am looking at getting a new geo transport and a Road Trail motorbike looks like a good candidate. I can see my own benefits in having one but I am very interested in the experience of other cachers who use(d) a motorbike for geocaching. Pictures would be nice too.

RobWinmar

Re: Tell us about your motorbike caching !

Post by RobWinmar » 22 June 10 9:26 pm

I've got a scooter I use for caching. You have to know where you're going beforehand, because you can't use a GPSr as you go, but otherwise it's fine. Parking's easier than with a car. Using a computer would be a pain, but if you have a hand-held device that you can view cache pages on then you'll be right.

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 22 June 10 9:53 pm

Been caching by bike for a couple of years but not exclusively by bike. I still prefer to wind up windows when the rain starts. :lol:
I ride a Suzuki DL650 (Vstrom) with a Garmin 60csx held in a genuine bike mount. There is no vibration using the mount but the screen is a bit hard to read in sunlight. Biggest problem is trying to press buttons wearing bike gloves - just too hard and fiddly. Also a bit of an tiresome issue removing riding gear (lid and gloves) every time I stop at a cache or wpt.
Must say, though, the freedom of a bike is definitely worth it. Easy to get around. Easy to park. A lot of fun riding. The feel of the "wind in your hair" etc, etc.

Thoroughly recommend riding as a caching option. Haven't tried caching by bike in a big city (Melb) but have done many caches in northern Vic and the bike has made each trip quite enjoyable.

Photo here http://geocaching.com.au/gallery/log/1665223 Muggle mate rides a BMW 1200GS. Both are very good on road but will handle off road as well. Best part - the Vstrom has received many good reviews and its only around $10k plus on-roads. :D

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 23 June 10 1:42 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote:Been caching by bike for a couple of years but not exclusively by bike. I still prefer to wind up windows when the rain starts. :lol:
I ride a Suzuki DL650 (Vstrom) with a Garmin 60csx held in a genuine bike mount. There is no vibration using the mount but the screen is a bit hard to read in sunlight. Biggest problem is trying to press buttons wearing bike gloves - just too hard and fiddly. Also a bit of an tiresome issue removing riding gear (lid and gloves) every time I stop at a cache or wpt.
Must say, though, the freedom of a bike is definitely worth it. Easy to get around. Easy to park. A lot of fun riding. The feel of the "wind in your hair" etc, etc.
I'm hearing you!
Like WazzaAndWenches I cache by bike on occasion, in fact until last year it was my only choice of transport, but when Spice is with me we always opt for the car. Two people on a bike caching is nowhere near as much fun...
I ride a Suzuki RF900F so off road is not an option unless I want to involuntarily shed the plastics.
As for a mount, I have found the genuine RAM mounts are the best but if you talk to Geodes his modified mounts seem really good too.
The only down side I have found is that bikes tend to attract attention which isn't the best when you are trying to be stealthy and in leathers. 8-[

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 23 June 10 4:21 pm

http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/4weeksonabike/

Both these pics taken on the above trip.

Cheers
Bundy
Last edited by Bundyrumandcoke on 23 June 10 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 23 June 10 6:47 pm

Hey Bundy, is the GPS mount just a standard car mount? I've got an Etrex and a VN900 that could make beautiful music together.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 23 June 10 7:07 pm

I've done quite a lot of caches on my motorbike - it's been a huge asset when going for those inner suburban and CBD caches, as the ability to park on the footpath right near GZ really outweighs any disadvantages it may otherwise have. My past 4 bikes have all been sports tourers (Suzuki GSX750Fs, in fact) and, while they're fine in their element (open highways at illegal speeds :roll: ), when you follow the TomTom's advice and end up on a rough gravel track and halfway down a very steep hill with no way to back out, you start to think of alternatives; so, when it came time to get a new one (a few weeks ago), I opted for a Suzuki DL650 (which I've been thinking about getting for a while now). I've only done a few (suburban) caches on it yet and it's only done 1000km so I'm still deciding whether its advantages outweigh the disadvantages of the GSXs - but, right from the first time out, it really does seem to be a much better option for the types of roads/tracks that appeal to me (those narrow, twisty little country back roads that don't feature prominently on the road maps). The much greater ground clearance is also an asset, as, having scraped the underside of the fairing on a couple of previous bikes when going straight off the kerbs, I'd got into the habit of looking for (footpath) parking spots near pedestrian access spots - which is a little restrictive. This one has no trouble going right over kerbs either way!

I've used TomTom Riders for navigation for the past 4 years; I've had 3 of them, 2 Rider 1s and a Rider 2 which I still use. The Rider 1s had problems with their mounts which, after a while, meant they didn't charge from the bike's electrical system. I've also had problems with the mount for the Rider 2 - but I had to make a mounting bracket of my own for the GSX750 and, possibly, it vibrated a bit much and wore the connectors out. They come supplied with a RAM mount and I've installed this on the DL650 but, but haven't connected things up to the electrical system yet. The Riders are easy to operate with gloves on and come with a Cardo Scala bluetooth headpiece which enables audio communication with the TomTom and means you can also use the TomTom to make and receive mobile phone calls while riding.

Caching on a motorbike certainly can be a lot of fun and, often, has distinct advantages over a car - I'd never drive my car into the CBD, for instance - but I got myself a Jeep Wrangler 18 months ago and, for me, who's always had a motorbike as my primary transport, it's like the reverse of those guys who dream about getting a motorbike someday (and, sometimes, when they do, go out and wipe themselves off :cry: ) and I just love its all-terrain, go anywhere capabilities and I can't wait for the weekends, when I get to drive it - so my motorbike caching has dropped off a bit lately :lol: Probably, when the weather warms up again, the new bike will tempt me back out on it a bit more.
Last edited by Geodes on 23 June 10 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 23 June 10 7:08 pm

No, both GPSs are mounted on RAM mounts, cradles, and arms.

Wyoming Wombats

Post by Wyoming Wombats » 23 June 10 7:10 pm

Thanks Bundy - much appreciated

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 23 June 10 11:54 pm

I've done a fair bit and my weapon of choice is a BMW 650 GS Dakar. It gets you to those far out places! I have an Oregon that I mount on a RAM mount.

RobWinmar

Post by RobWinmar » 01 July 10 12:14 am

Crikey you people have some good set ups! Hmmm it's something to aspire to once I've got the money to buy a proper bike etc. I did a lot of caches on mountain bike around inner Melbourne when I was living there, but now I find the scooter handy in those areas.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 01 July 10 1:11 am

Big Matt and Shell that Dakar is a nice bike. The type of setup I am aiming to. Hows the fuel economy like on it for freeway ?

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 01 July 10 9:24 pm

The Dakar certainly is fun. Each time I take it near a BMW dealer they just shake their heads though... I think they are not used to seeing one that gets ridden!

The Dakar gets pretty good mileage. I used to get about 300km to 12L before the fuel light came on for highway driving. These days it is more like 180-200 for off road riding. It has been a while since I have had a set of road tyres on the bike though. They can be ridden pretty much anywhere, I rode into the Vic High Country from Dubbo when I first got it. It handled everything I could throw at it.

If you are looking for a bike to do some dirt but the rest on road, I'll back what Wazza said and go with the 1200GS. My bike weighs just under 200kg (you need to be big to handle it off road) the new 1200's I think are a little lighter!

(Edit: Just googled the new 1200GS is 229kg fully fuelled so it is a bit heavier)

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 02 July 10 2:17 pm

Have a look at this virtual
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0980
more stories and pics

ianc
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ianc » 04 July 10 12:22 pm

I have on occasion cached in the city by motorcycle (Moto GuzzI T4), but I always feel like I stand out if I'm wandering around wearing a bike jacket. If I am caching I prefer to lock helmet and jacket to the bike and wander around 'unencumbered' like a normal person. This does somewhat cancel out the advantage of being to park anywhere. K0mpass