group raids

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: group raids

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 17 May 10 6:22 pm

Now that was a fun read...

Ignoring that ALR's are not allowed, I don't remember you ever specifying that you had to all climb the tree to log the find before this week. I'm sure the description was a whole lot shorter when I visited last year.
Although this cache is only a 2 minute walk from the nearest carpark. you will need a fair amount of physical strength and agility to log this one.

Located next to the old 'Wobbies World' (which now seems to be a plant nursery) this little park was once a local orchard.

I placed this here as I know I would love this challenge and haven't encountered a hide like this so far.

you may need a friend to help you with the first part of the journey to this cache.

this cache is NOT at ground level.

*MUST TAKE OWN PEN* ;)
Sui how about a thought for the previous finders that visited and now you have ruined their stats. You placed a cache and people made a find. If you have an issue with how they found it, shake your head, archive the cache and re-list it on GCA where you can specify all you want, rather than the other listing service...
homedg wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: What are the rules in Geocaching?
1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.
2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.
3. Log your experience at http://www.geocaching.com.
I have recently stopped logging online.
Am i cheating? :shock:

Thats right Dave, your a dirty rotten cheater.... :mrgreen: [-X :lol:

pocketrocket&friends

Post by pocketrocket&friends » 17 May 10 7:31 pm

I was at the tree on Saturday and have been keeping my eye on the logs on the GC and GCA site to read what other cachers had written about the 'event.'
Personally, I think I am pretty tough and have a go at everything. Looking up at that tree, I have to admit, I don't think I'd do it. I am not a professional and what are the implications if something happened to me or any other person climbing the tree?
I would not want that burden as a cache owner. However and as a cache owner myself, if that was my cache that caused such a stir and interest on Saturday, I would have been absolutely stoked.
People cache together all the time. Like everyone else has said, the finder doesn't re-hide the cache so other teams can find it. We passed a cache on to others on Saturday ourselves!
Caching is about people spending time together. What I noticed on Saturday were families together, outside and sharing this time together. That rarely happens these days. I spent the day with my husband and good friends- what better way to spend a Saturday?!
In my notebook that I keep of my finds, I write little notes/stories of caches. This one is certainly up there with the best!
I wasn't going to make any comments, but considering it's called a forum, I thought 'why not?'

tronador

Post by tronador » 17 May 10 7:32 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote:Now that was a fun read...
Ditto :D

I would prefer to find these hard terrain caches myself but............. each to their own.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 384c292ff3
As for the owner..... one that agrees with Sui.....
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 1e9a3ce169
One that is indifferent.
I say whatever makes you happy.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 17 May 10 9:58 pm

To Sui

Yes I thought hard about whether to claim a find or not. In the end I decided the experience was enough to want to recognise as a cache I have found. A key input into my decision for me (other than Geodes standing at my shoulder expressing his opinion, in a totally reasonable and nice way :) ) was that YOU had noted the cache the day before and had not expressed ANY indication that you were unhappy with a group find.
Having seen your response I initially felt I should retract my find, I'm not that desperate for a smiley :) , but on the other hand I feel (rightly or wrongly) that you deliberately chose not to express your preference in advance so you could call us all cheats. IF you had expressed your desire for people to only find after climbing on the listing, or after the last group find OR on Friday then I would not have claimed a find.

The impromptu event gives me a find for the day and a way to remember the experience, maybe I don't need your find anymore?

BTW, If Alex had rigged a Bosun's Chair and all my friends had hoisted me to the cache would you be telling me I was a cheat for not climbing?
Did Alex cheat because he used ropes and equipment rather than free climbing?

Peter

jyetara
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by jyetara » 17 May 10 10:04 pm

As I have said on a note I posted.

The owner ignored the cache for 4 years, and then after our "group raid" back in 2009, he was "amused" and said little more than that.

THIS time around he carries on like this about it?

Could learn a few things from my 5 year old....

"Fine, I'm taking my toy and I'll break it so NONE of you can play with it!"

Good lord...

sui_001
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by sui_001 » 18 May 10 2:56 am

after much private and public debate i yield to the greater community, and reinstated the ratings.

i know i won't participate in a group raid anytime soon.

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 18 May 10 10:31 am

So long as you stick to the guidelines, how you want to play the game is up to you.

What is ethical to you may not be ethical to someone else, but hey, thats life.

Is asking a CO for clues ethical? Following someone else to GZ, and watching where they find it? Phoning a previous finder for clues?
In many ways we set the 'rules' ourselves in geocaching, and that is what makes the game so much fun for me.

I wouldn't have logged the cache in question if I didn't climb the tree, maybe a note instead to say I was there, but hey, that's me...

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 18 May 10 2:11 pm

Big Matt and Shell wrote: Thats right Dave, your a dirty rotten cheater.... :mrgreen: [-X :lol:
All I got out of this thread was confirmation that I'm a dirty rotten Cheater. LOL

\:D/ =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> \:D/

homedg

Post by homedg » 18 May 10 4:40 pm

Nah, I cheat because I'm not logging my gc.com finds online anymore.
It's a part of the guidelines.

It makes me a

Wonder how long it takes for the Geo-police to hunt me down for my BAD ways. :lol:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 18 May 10 4:42 pm

Pesky! wrote: What? You mean you are supposed to actually visit these locations, and put a physical entry in the log book that is supposed to be in the container? :shock:
WHoa. i better start playing properly then!
I take it that it would be cheating to post a find on a cache you have never even been within koo-ee of then?
( not suggesting that is the way Homedg does things!)

which raises the queiston. how many times does this cache owner climb up and read the log to confirm finders actually did the deed?
infact how many cahers regularly check thier own cache hide for valid log entires?
Don't start this up again - caughtatwork's been downing a lot of raspberry cordial at the Anniversary celebrations and he's excitable enough already :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 May 10 4:43 pm

Oh, go climb a tree :D

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 18 May 10 5:01 pm

Pesky! wrote: which raises the queiston. how many times does this cache owner climb up and read the log to confirm finders actually did the deed?
infact how many cahers regularly check thier own cache hide for valid log entires?
On a more serious note (and a little bit OT), I encountered a lot of logs by flat knackers while preparing for a day down at Phillip Island last weekend. Their history looked mighty suspicious, so I made sure I checked a number of caches that they claimed to have done - and could find no entries from them in the logbooks. I've advised Hell+Back to delete their logs, but there were a few logs for caches owned by different hiders, some of which are no longer very active. I guess it's a problem that's going to recur from time to time and it may become a bit of an annoying overhead on cache ownership.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 18 May 10 5:21 pm

Pesky! wrote:.....which raises the queiston. how many times does this cache owner climb up and read the log to confirm finders actually did the deed?
In the early days he used to check on it frequently until he moved - travelling o/s I think. He used to climb the tree unaided, which to be honest was not that hard (for our son in any case 8).

This whole issue just amplifies what a lot of us do in one form or another, so we can't be hypocritical and make a judgement on how the finds should be made. We use the GAFF system which to some extent discloses the circumstances under which we found the cache. Sort of makes us feel ok in claiming a find for such caches as this one - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 078b44d3f6

sui_001

Post by sui_001 » 18 May 10 5:47 pm

when i lived in melbourne i did check it frequently.

then i went to canberra to study. now i flit between singapore, china and canberra. people are right when they are saying i ignored the needs attention for long periods on this cache.