Nomic vs ALR

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Trigg-A-Nomics

Nomic vs ALR

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 30 March 10 12:39 am

Hi all,

This might take a bit to explain. I'm currently working on a cache related to my caching name, Trigg-A-Nomics. Well, when I say working, it's more like stalled-for-several-months. :(

The basic idea is to make a cache with a set of rules governing who can log it. These rules would then be modifiable by anyone who finds the cache. The only catch is that not long after I came up with the idea GC.com prohibited "ALRs - Additional Logging Requirements".

Another one of my caches had ALRs which were permitted after changing the cache type to a traditional and relaxing the ALRs to being "serving suggestions" rather than requirements. Unfortunately the ALRs form the core of the ruleset below.

Can anyone suggest a way to make this work? Would this perform better as a GCA cache rather than a GC cache?

Here's the current cache listing:
This cache is a nomic.

A nomic is a game where the players can change the rules while the game is in progress. One of the most famous nomics is Calvinball, but you might be able to think of some other examples. If you've ever been involved in the arcane process of writing requirements or in amending the Constitution of your local sporting club then this cache might appeal to you!
In order to find and log the cache you must follow the rules below. I've listed it as a mystery cache as anything on this page, including the location of the cache, can be changed by those who find the cache. You might choose to turn it into a multi, add a Zytheran-style puzzle or even request that cachers wear Calvinball masks while finding the cache! When you log your find on the website, simply add a proposal to your log and I'll put it to a vote of all the cachers who have already found the cache. If you're successful I'll update the rules and adjust the cache as necessary for future cachers to find.

Code: Select all

Here are the current rules:

(I) 101. Rules are divided up into two types: mutable and immutable. The main difference between these is that immutable rules must be changed into mutable rules (called transmuting) before they can be modified or removed. Rules marked with an (I) are immutable and rules marked with an (M) are mutable.

(I) 102. Immutable rules take precedence over mutable rules.

(I) 103. A rule change may be:
 - the addition of a new mutable rule, 
 - an amendment to a mutable rule, 
 - the repeal of a mutable rule, 
 - the transmutation of a rule from mutable to immutable, or 
 - the transmutation of a rule from immutable to mutable. 

(I) 104. Any cacher who logs the cache as found is eligible to propose a rule change. Any cacher who logs a trackable item into this cache is eligible to propose a rule change.
(Note: This means that if you find the cache and drop in a Travel Bug and a GeoCoin you can propose up to three rule changes. If you drop in a GeoCoin a year from now you can propose another rule change.)

(I) 105. All proposed rule changes shall be written down in the logs associated with this cache listing before they are voted on.

(I) 106. Each proposed rule change will be given a number for reference by the Cache Owner.

(I) 107. When a rule change is proposed then other players may suggest amendments or argue against the proposal before the vote. A reasonable time will be allowed for this debate. The proponent decides the final form in which the proposal is to be voted on and the Cache Owner decides the time to end debate and vote.

(I) 108. All rule changes shall be voted on. They will be adopted if they receive the required number of votes.

(I) 109. Each cacher who finds this cache is an eligible voter.

(M) 201. A rule change is adopted if the vote achieves a simple majority among the eligible voters who have responded by the deadline.

(M) 202. The Cache Owner has five votes. The FTF has four votes. The Second To Find has three votes. The Third To Find has two votes. All other players have one vote.

(M) 203. If the rules are changed so that finding the cache is impossible then the Cache Owner will alter the cache and the rules to allow the cache to be found again.

(M) 204. Before a cacher can log this cache as found they must first find the cache at the coordinates listed on this page.

In summary: find the cache, propose a new rule and make it more difficult or easier for the next person to find. If you want to add a new rule but you've already found the cache then come back and drop a TB or GC in!

Any ideas on where to go from here? I don't theUmp will publish it in its current form. :?

caughtatwork

Re: Nomic vs ALR

Post by caughtatwork » 30 March 10 7:31 am

including the location of the cache
That won't get past the GC censors. For many reasons a cache that moves is no longer permitted at GC.
GCA has no rules, but be aware that if the cache moves (and is not marked as a moving cache), then the site will not move the hidden co-ordinates. You would need to do that.
It's an interesting concept and the added fun is that even if I get the cache details right now, by the time I head out to the cache in 20 minutes the rules could have changed. Frustrating, but potentially fun.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 30 March 10 4:06 pm

Make it a mystery with a travel bug holding the location to the cache.
The rules can then concern what type of cache the TB can be placed in or how far away it can travel etc. etc.

If you do use a travel bug or geocoin, just make it paper with the tracking code on it.

Cheers 8)

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 31 March 10 4:19 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
including the location of the cache
That won't get past the GC censors. For many reasons a cache that moves is no longer permitted at GC.
GCA has no rules, but be aware that if the cache moves (and is not marked as a moving cache), then the site will not move the hidden co-ordinates. You would need to do that.
That's what I thought. I'm thinking of creating two competing GCA moveables (called 'Calvin' & 'Hobbes') and seeing how their rulesets diverge over time!
calumphing_four wrote:Make it a mystery with a travel bug holding the location to the cache.
The rules can then concern what type of cache the TB can be placed in or how far away it can travel etc. etc.

If you do use a travel bug or geocoin, just make it paper with the tracking code on it.
Good idea for a third nomic cache! I could also point people at the GCA caches if they wanted to see how a more unrestricted nomic evolves. Do the GC reviewers have any issues with linking back to GCA caches?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 31 March 10 5:21 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote: Do the GC reviewers have any issues with linking back to GCA caches?
Yes. Yes they do!
I had a recent cache declined from listing until I removed text referring to a GCA cache (mine) nearby.
reviewer wrote:Groundspeak policy is not to mention caches on other listing sites, sorry, you'll have to remove the line about your GCA cache

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 01 April 10 11:07 am

reviewer wrote:Groundspeak policy is not to mention caches on other listing sites, sorry, you'll have to remove the line about your GCA cache
Dang. But links like "Rate this cache on Geocaching Australia" seem to go through ok.