Spice it up a little

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
squalid
2700 or more caches found

Spice it up a little

Post by squalid » 08 January 10 8:50 am

I recently saw on ABC a short article on "Chess Boxing" where the competition involves a 4 minute chess session followed by a 3 minute boxing round. Goes until checkmate or TKO. It must have sat in the back of my mind when I was reading the Manly hobbies thread, and saw that paintballing was in there too. How about "Paintball geocaching"? You have a large area, and each player gets to hide two caches. The coords are given out at the start, and off you go. You need to protect your two caches, much like protecting the flag in paint ball, while trying to find other caches. Points off for people finding your cache, points added if you find someone else's. Your two caches must be a fair distance appart to stop you "camping" in a particular area. This would all need to happen on private property - probably one of the paintball facilities around. Watch out for our gun laws too.

Don't flame me too hard, the idea just came to me and there will be stuff I haven't thought of.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Re: Spice it up a little

Post by Yurt » 08 January 10 9:10 am

And you can set traps, a la First Blood. :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 January 10 9:23 am

Very cool idea and I reckon I'd pay to play that game :-)

bean_counter
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by bean_counter » 08 January 10 10:07 am

Fantastic idea! I hope you don't mind if I rudely sign TFTC and omit a novel about how beautiful the location is or how much I enjoyed the journey to GZ / solving the puzzle :-" .

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 08 January 10 10:11 am

Sounds like a great idea and one I've occasionally thought about ever since it was suggested in this thread around the time I first started caching.
I looked up some local paintball places and there's one that had a nice bushland course that looked like familiar caching territory.
Thoughts for the comp would be a capture the flag with two teams with minimum ammo (like maybe 6 paintballs each?).
Both teams are given a listing with shared coordinates for the Flag (In ammo box of course) and unique coordinates for their ammo stash elsewhere. Do you rush in to grab the flag with low ammo? Split up the team?

Wasn't insignificant cost-wise, would have been looking at about $50 per person to be paid in advance.
This facility offered "bonuses" like extra ammo and higher powered guns for booking groups which I thought would make a good reward to the winning team for the next round. (Stashed on the course for them to locate of course! :twisted: )

squalid

Post by squalid » 08 January 10 10:26 am

Geez - I thought I was being really original! Idea is 7 years old.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 08 January 10 11:31 am

squalid wrote:Geez - I thought I was being really original! Idea is 7 years old.
Nothing new under the sun! :lol:
I haven't heard of it being done though so if you get something actually organised and run it will be original!! =D>

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 08 January 10 1:05 pm

I like the idea!!!!!
Although with my background I don't know if I'm a suitable candidate, I tend to take these games a bit to serious. :-$

jyetara
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by jyetara » 10 January 10 10:31 am

yeah we talked about doing an event at one of our local paintball places... and lots of ideas...never got further than that... paintball is probably too fun on it's own :)