Launching Australia's First Ever Mega Event-Wagga Wagga 2010

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 28 March 09 12:55 pm

the farmers 5 wrote:
TaylorBrats wrote:So, I was talking to a fellow cacher last night, and thought this might be the place to bounce an idea off.

We are *contemplating* bringin a bunch (read: upto a coachload) of Scouts (11-15yo's) from two seperate Troops (or maybe further in the district), up for this momentous occasion. Obviously the Leaders in Charge would take the place of mum or dad (unless they join us) so behaviour etc would be monitored.

One Troop will be planting their first caches this coming Wednesday, so they have an interest in the growing sport, and it would be something to really test them - being up against all the multiple skill levels of the attending cachers.

But before we get too carried away and start planning anything, how would the general caching population feel about that?

So do people think it's a good idea, or no??
Welcome and thanks for your intent.The committee would have to discuss this at our next meeting.
Could you please state the scout group's geocaching team name.Which scout group is it as we have 3 with "interests".Were you thinking of a mini bus say...18 scouts or a full greyhound coach size bus with say....38 scouts.
The only set-back could be your request to challenge all the other teams in geocaching skills.Any geocaching event caches will be around the City of Wagga Wagga.If your all in a 42 seater large coach ,this would look a bit odd at certain places.

But ,there has been no comments since last night,so it probaly sits well with most.Even if the whole group didnt leave the campsite for 4 days ,it will still be memorable experience.
It certainly would be memorable!

I know that our troop havent got a caching name yet, as they havent signed up as a group *yet*, but they are 1st Strathmore Scouts.

We are thinking about tee-ing up with another Troop from the district. Maybe open it to the Venturers? Or other district Scouts? Depending on interest...

I can see maybe, 8 of my Scouts taking it up without much question - but I might completely misjudge the enthusiasm for this - which was why I initially said *upto* a coachload (I have a coach licence, so it's possible, and I put it there as worst case scenario in case anyone would have issues with it - although your point on a lack of inconspiciousness is taken on board!), but the likelihood is a coaster, or if we only get a few takers, the other leader and myself may just take our own vehicles. Or one own vehicle and a tarago or similar :)

mb3

Post by mb3 » 31 March 09 5:05 am

We are hoping to be able to attend this event. 2 adults.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 31 March 09 10:35 pm

We attended a Social BBQ Geocaching event in Perth this past weekend - there is plenty of interest in WA. :)

Gribbly
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by Gribbly » 01 April 09 11:04 am

We'll be there.
2 Adults & 2 kids
Possibly tenting it.
:D

Brett70

Post by Brett70 » 01 April 09 12:40 pm

am only new here but will be there 2A 4K and look forward to meeting everyone camping
Last edited by Brett70 on 02 April 09 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thechops
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: 101geosales

Count us in!

Post by thechops » 01 April 09 9:39 pm

Count us in! TheChops, 2 adults, probably camping. Can't wait!

TheWonderStuff
5000 or more caches found

Post by TheWonderStuff » 02 April 09 7:57 am

Any ideas on when it will get listed?

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 02 April 09 8:15 am

Hello The WonderStuff,

Welcome and thanks for interest .The forum here is to assist with many items.To give "The Ump" a true indicative indication of actual members attending ,otherwise any team could just place a Mega Event and watch as only 150 attended.

With Australia's population small compared to the USA or Europe ,The Ump requires the format to be this way.

It also gives our Committee great assistance in the logistics of the event in areas such as food,camping,merchandise,and dozens more items.

So,at this stage if you are thinking of attending,could you please place an intent to assist all concerned.Mainly stating numbers,if camping ,etc.

To answer your question,the Committee is aiming for somewhere around the end of May ,but if its not 100 % in place ,it will put back .
Hope you can attend,we would love to have you.

TheWonderStuff

Post by TheWonderStuff » 02 April 09 8:30 am

Yep, I said in the NZ GPS forums that my team of 2 will attend :D

Will make it a bit of a road tour.

Probally not camping though, to many bugs over there :oops:

Lgoody

Post by Lgoody » 02 April 09 8:43 pm

Lgoody will certainly be there, Having camped there many times with the scout I have found it to be an ideal camp site with many types of accomodation

Partic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/partic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Partic

Partic: 2

Post by Partic » 02 April 09 11:47 pm

1/ List your team name and how many people would be attending, even if it's a "maybe at this stage".

Partic: 2 at this stage, but a lot can happen in a year.

Additionally in discussions with a group of friends from various locations that may result in another 40 participants. They'll all register here additionally.

2/ State your intention to stay at the camp or elsewhere.

Staying at camp.

3/ Suggest any ideas for the event. We will look at them all.

Farmers5 has already been in touch with me on this part.

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 03 April 09 12:40 am

Its a maybe at this point but i would like to attend fitting around work and also if i am still even living down here (Canberra)

Would just be caching under my caching name as no team would be present... possibly 1 or 2 other non cachers along for the weekend.

Minister

Mega event - Count us in

Post by Minister » 03 April 09 6:16 pm

I'm going to be there - Minister (aka Manda J) and my geohusband - hopefully I won't be a team of one - with any luck the Figtree Rovers will form a MEGA team for a MEGA event.

The geohusband and I will be camping on site (providing there is room :D )

Cheers

Minister

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Re: Mega event - Count us in

Post by paegle boy » 03 April 09 7:56 pm

Minister wrote:I'm going to be there - Minister (aka Manda J) and my geohusband - hopefully I won't be a team of one - with any luck the Figtree Rovers will form a MEGA team for a MEGA event.

The geohusband and I will be camping on site (providing there is room :D )

Cheers

Minister
i hope they will come

The Red Devils
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by The Red Devils » 06 April 09 6:33 pm

As we are currently doing the grey nomad bit, it is entirely possible that we could make this one. Like a lot of people we arnt entirely sure, but at this stage its definatley high on our travel intentions.

Irionicly we have spent the last few months not a million miles away in Whitfield, Victoria, and will be heading north thru NSW after this Easter.

I suppose i could estimate our chances of making it at around 90% at this stage. We have a 24ft roadstar caravan and are two adults. would be great to attend and stay the whole long weekend.

Will keep an eye on this thread and update if things become absolutley definate.

The Red Devils.