New Aussie Geocaching PodCast : GeoTech

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
vk3jap

New Aussie Geocaching PodCast : GeoTech

Post by vk3jap » 26 December 08 7:08 pm

hi Folks,

I've put together a new podcast called GeoTech. The idea of it thus far is to spend more time talking about different technologies, i.e. getting a bit more technical, but to start from the ground up. Darren's GeoTalk does what it does quite well so I'm not trying to replicate that but instead put more of a focus on talking about how things work, like breaking puzzles, using GSAK, cyphers, how your GPS gets atomic clock accuracy from the Sat.s etc. - hence the name GeoTech.

it's also designed for cachers that are just getting into it now and have all those simple entry level questions.

Eps.1 talks about what caching is, how it got starts, the different types of caches etc. - a real beginners one.

Home page for the podcast is here : http://geotech.vk3jap.net/
- click on the 'How to Subscribe' link to see how you setup iTunes to keep an ear out for new episodes.

Enjoy,

Ian
Last edited by vk3jap on 29 December 08 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Emu

Re: New Aussie Geocaching PodCast : GeoTech

Post by Mr Emu » 28 December 08 12:54 am

vk3jap wrote:I've put together a new podcast called GeoTech.
I'm surprised to see that I'm the first to make a comment. Perhaps everyone else is away on holidays and doesn't have access to their normal broadband to download the program? Anyway, I downloaded it (~50Mb) and then listened this afternoon while fiddling about in my shed.

I think you've done a really good job with your first episode - especially in discussing the roots of geocaching in letterboxing, and the many reasons why it is such a great pastime compared to the other "time-grabbers" out there. I've often struggled to explain my interest in geocaching to people. Not the "what" so much as the "why?". As someone who has started and stopped many varied - and sometimes expensive - hobbies, you put into words exactly what I've been trying to get across. My NGS* (*Non-Geocaching Spouse) may be a lost cause, but I plan to use your explanation to others when the chance arises.

For someone who didn't know anything about geocaching, I think Episode 1 would be an ideal introduction.

Well done, and good luck should you decide to keep producing!

agap2
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by agap2 » 28 December 08 3:58 pm

Downloaded and had a listen, thoroughly enjoyed it, I think you have articulated a lot of why geocaching is so good. I wish I had heard this when I first started, would have saved a lot of frustration!! Thanks for putting in the effort!

feathertop
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by feathertop » 29 December 08 6:34 am

Well Done Ian

This is a great introduction to the game and I have someone I know who is getting into the sport who will really benefit from listening to this.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 29 December 08 11:49 am

Great podcast.

As a newbie, I found information in there that I hadn't considered and some better ways of doing things that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks for putting it together.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 29 December 08 4:55 pm

Can I ask an ITunes question ?- have downloaded and will listen to later.

After downloading, I imported it into my itunes library but it appears in my music - how do I make it appear in the podcasts area only ?

vk3jap

Post by vk3jap » 29 December 08 6:13 pm

thanks for the kind words in feedback folks, much appreciated.

To make a 'podcast' there is more to it than just publishing a simple old MP3 file - which is pretty much all I've done for the moment. I do plan to make it more formal, give it a webpage and a iTunes 'feed'(xml) file etc - i.e. do all the things that make it a proper podcast.

So for the moment it's really just a plain old music file - as far as iTunes etc is concerned. I will publish a note here when I've made it more formal, I might get motivated tonight :-)

hope that makes sense!

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 December 08 6:28 pm

Agent Basil wrote:Can I ask an ITunes question ?- have downloaded and will listen to later.

After downloading, I imported it into my itunes library but it appears in my music - how do I make it appear in the podcasts area only ?
No easy way that I've ever come across. Basically, you have to 'fake' a podcast by creating an XML file and allowing iTunes to download it from a local server.

It'd be a lot easier for Ian to turn it into a real podcast!
(and how much tech cred would be lost if it's deemed too hard, hmmm? :D )

vk3jap

Post by vk3jap » 29 December 08 11:26 pm

Ok, it's official and all now. and listed in the iTunes podcast directory, they just need to approve.

Home page for the podcast is here : http://geotech.vk3jap.net/
- click on the 'How to Subscribe' link to see how you setup iTunes to keep an ear out for new episodes.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 30 December 08 6:59 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote: It'd be a lot easier for Ian to turn it into a real podcast!
(and how much tech cred would be lost if it's deemed too hard, hmmm? :D )
Seems as though he has done a fine job :D Looks like a winner to me :wink:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 30 December 08 12:22 pm

vk3jap wrote:Ok, it's official and all now. and listed in the iTunes podcast directory, they just need to approve.
Your cred is intact and, indeed, enhanced by the speed of the setting up! :)

vk3jap

Post by vk3jap » 30 December 08 4:48 pm

I figured that as the Ump had given me expedited process upon request a few times I could hardly not reciprocate!