Kraft Peanut Butter containers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 13 April 08 10:46 am

This is what she found:
$8.95 - 'small' Tracer Round ammo box
You need to be patient. You will find these on special for around $5 once or twice a year. And that's the time to stock up. 8)

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 13 April 08 11:18 am

mundoo wrote:$8.95 - 'small' Tracer Round ammo box
$11.95 - standard ammo box.
Those are actually pretty good retail prices! :lol: Now give them a call, tell them how cheap you can get them elsewhere, and ask them for their best price if you buy a few. 8)

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 13 April 08 11:47 am

team_canyonero wrote:And I find that if you put them in a dishwasher on the pots and pans settings or use bleach there is no peanut smell or residue (that I can tell anyway).
See, this is the hink. That you can detect.

Our sense of smell is horrid compared to that of wildlife. What is scentless to us - is not to the creatures that rely on that sense to find food. Up here at least, time and time again - not matter how well you clean a reused food container, it will be found by the local wildlife and torn to bit, or nibbled into. Perhaps it's our wildlife, but I doubt I'd get rid of my dislike for resued food containers as cache containers after my move.

While after being through a dishwasher the container may no longer pose much of a threat to allergic humans, it does present a danger to wildlife. (Not that they are allergic, but in the sense that they could swallow a bit of plastic that could do damage, or they get used to the smell of humans on that coontainer, etc etc etc...)

team_canyonero

Post by team_canyonero » 13 April 08 12:44 pm

I dare say the unintentional containers (ie Rubbish) far outnumber the intentional caches aynway. :wink:

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 13 April 08 1:19 pm

mundoo wrote:I am finding this topic quite interesting especially regarding the cost of different containers.

I became curious as to how much an ammo tin cost 'here' and as I live in a rural area and the nearest disposals store is in the suburbs (Noarlunga) of Adelaide I asked my friend up there to price them for me.

This is what she found:
$8.95 - 'small' Tracer Round ammo box
$11.95 - standard ammo box.

And it seems to me that this is a lot dearer than the figures being quoted by others in different parts of Oz.
Ive looked in there before as well, and couldnt beleive the difference between the cost here compared to our qld counterparts. it put me off worrying about it for the time being until they have them at a reasonable price

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 14 April 08 7:45 am

Yeah, that is a bit dearer.

The closest place I know to me where you can get them is the Goulbourn disposals, where they are $7.50 for the small and about $9 - 10 for the larger ones. They also sell these cool micros for $1, Medigen capsules, for writing down important medical info and keeping it safe. Last time I was there the guy threw in a few for free :D He seemed to be having a hard time getting rid of them.

Eynowd

Post by Eynowd » 14 April 08 11:48 am

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:Yeah, that is a bit dearer.

The closest place I know to me where you can get them is the Goulbourn disposals, where they are $7.50 for the small and about $9 - 10 for the larger ones. They also sell these cool micros for $1, Medigen capsules, for writing down important medical info and keeping it safe. Last time I was there the guy threw in a few for free :D He seemed to be having a hard time getting rid of them.
$8.95 is what I pay for them at Aussie Disposals in Newcastle, when I'm up visiting the parents. I thought that was pretty good. I heard Jurkewicz in Canberra sells them, but they're about $15 a pop.

I bought 4 in Newcastle when I was up at Easter. Brand new ones in PERFECT condition. I was very happy with them.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 April 08 5:30 pm

Ammo boxs are a cool hide :shock: there is 3 or 4 in the Router kit, but cannot think of anywhere big enough to hide them :lol: :lol:

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 15 April 08 9:43 pm

After our recent tassie trip, If i find another *^%$#* fruit container I'll scream.
If you're going to go to all the effort to find a beautiful spot to place a cache, at least put some effort into making the cache nice to find. In general, Ammo cans and sistemas (or the like) are best, as they keep the weather and the bugs out.
General food packaging doesn't usually rate highly on the good find list. It's designed for one use. The only food package I think works is Mint containers, but only if they're out of the way of ants and rain.
Personal views only, and every caches differently.

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 15 April 08 10:10 pm

Eynowd wrote:I bought 4 in Newcastle when I was up at Easter. Brand new ones in PERFECT condition. I was very happy with them.
Well then????

Eynowd

Post by Eynowd » 15 April 08 10:18 pm

McPhan wrote:
Eynowd wrote:I bought 4 in Newcastle when I was up at Easter. Brand new ones in PERFECT condition. I was very happy with them.
Well then????
What?

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 16 April 08 7:59 am

I guess he means why can't we find them yet :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 16 April 08 8:53 am

I hear they're good in the shed for storing tools?! :D

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 18 April 08 1:42 pm

zactyl wrote:Ammo Cans... 5 for $22 at Brisbane Disposals. + Postage, which I'm not sure on the price of (even after ordering, dodgy site :P ) but I think it's around $10. Print that page and take it to your local Disposals and see what they can come up with!
I live out in the sticks and the courier was going to cost $20... so I bought 10 instead of 5! :D With $26 delivery it worked out at $7 each, which is still a very good price. Compare that with $6.50 for a 2L Sistema, and it's a hands down winner. Not sure how delivery to other states would go, but probably worth giving them a call or sending an email if you can't get a local supplier to meet or beat that price.
Now I just need to find time to hide them, currently working 65 hours a week. :roll:

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 18 April 08 3:45 pm

For cheap containers, visit the Reject shop. I picked up some screw top 1lt containers for $1 last week.

They also have Tupperware-style containers on special at the moment (without Sistema-type clips) - 60 containers of different sizes for $10.

Can't really get much cheaper than this!