Looking for info on pre-pay cell, wifi and/or cachers

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
D@nim@l

Looking for info on pre-pay cell, wifi and/or cachers

Post by D@nim@l » 14 January 07 11:41 am

I will be visiting and caching your great country in mid Feb. Is anyone one aware of, or could someone recommend an inexpensive pre-pay cell phone that we could get for our travels once we get there. Also, is anyone aware of a national chain store or the like that offer complimentary wifi while you eat, drink coffee, etc. Thanks in advance.

PS: If anyone would like together to cache that would be fun too or if you could recommend interesting "must do" caches in unique areas of up to moderate terrain in the Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney or Taz. Send me PM or contact me through my profile on geocaching.com.

Cheers!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Looking for info on pre-pay cell, wifi and/or cachers

Post by riblit » 14 January 07 12:15 pm

D@nim@l wrote:I will be visiting and caching your great country in mid Feb. Is anyone one aware of, or could someone recommend an inexpensive pre-pay cell phone that we could get for our travels once we get there. Also, is anyone aware of a national chain store or the like that offer complimentary wifi while you eat, drink coffee, etc. Thanks in advance.

PS: If anyone would like together to cache that would be fun too or if you could recommend interesting "must do" caches in unique areas of up to moderate terrain in the Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney or Taz. Send me PM or contact me through my profile on geocaching.com.

Cheers!
G'day

Most of the major players in the mobile phone field here have pre paid plans. Are you looking for a phone/card combination or just the SIM to put in your own mobile? "Inexpensive" is relative, we are "blessed" with some of the highest mobile charges in the world.

The golden arches have wireless hotspots, I'm not sure if you have to pay any extra to use them.

D@nim@l

Post by D@nim@l » 14 January 07 12:25 pm

Just a phone that I can go pick up off the shelf for under $50 or so that I can have just in case. Who is big name discount store there too (like our Walmart or Target)?

Thanks again.

D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 14 January 07 12:40 pm

Big name Discount Stores... Kmart, Big W (Woolworths owned )for general stuff. Target is here but can be a bit more expensive. Bunnings is making a name for hardware and associated stuff.

There are other stores that offer good value from time to time.

Prices vary from state to state.

The big players in communications are (in no patricular order) Optus http://www.optus.com.au/portal/site/oca, Telstra, http://telstra.com/index.jsp, Vodaphone http://www.vodafone.com.au/.
Check out their web sites to get an idea on mobile charges.

D@nim@l

Post by D@nim@l » 14 January 07 12:45 pm

Excellent! Thanks!

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 January 07 2:56 pm

Your probably not going to get a new prepaid phone for $50. Double that, and your getting close. But, as Riblit said, if your bringing your own phone, then you are only buying the sim, then $30 would get you a sim, and probably $30 of phone credit. I would stick to Telstra, then Optus. Vodaphone coverage can get a bit iffy out of capital cities, yes even Cairns. And country areas of Tassie could be decidedly dodgy. Dont get swayed into buying a 3G phone. You dont need it. A GSM or CDMA phone should be a lot cheaper to purchase. For info about Wifi, there is a couple of threads going at the moment on this board, in the Software and Hardware forum regarding PDA's and wireless access.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 14 January 07 3:55 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Vodaphone coverage can get a bit iffy out of capital cities, yes even Cairns.
Most people up here in Cairns stick to Telstra with Optus as a second choice - coverage by other providers is minimal in Cairns.

My son has a holiday job at Target and advises that prepaid phones start at about $60.00. However I would also consider the option of bringing your own handset and just picking up a prepaid sim card. In my experience that's what most visitors to Cairns do.

Cairns has a lot of internet cafe's as backpackers are a substantial part of our tourist visitors. Your accommodation is likely to have a tour desk or can recommend some places where internet access is available.

When you get to Cairns please remember that February is nomally a very wet time of year - you may be unlucky and experience tropical style downpours that can last for days.

Cairns is a very small city population wise but is quite spread out geographically. Depending on where your accommodation is located - you may find that getting a hire car will make getting around a lot easier. Our public transport system here in Cairns leaves a lot to be desired however if you are booked on an organised tour (eg a reef trip or day out at Kuranda) then most operators will pick you up at your accommodation.

If time and budget allows I would recommend a self-drive day/2 days trip in a hire car to the Atherton Tablelands. There are easy caches to be found at many of the tourist stops.

Enjoy your trip.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 14 January 07 5:32 pm

Cheap prepaid phone packs are available from the the major supermarkets Coles/Woolworths and even 24hr convenience stores. 7/11, NightOwl etc.
I'd suggest Telstra or Optus over Vodaphone. You can buy Telstra and Optus recharge vouchers from Westpac (Major Australian Bank) ATMs if you're bringing a debit card with you.
Our GSM network is 900/1800 so if you do bring a phone with you make sure it supports those bands. (US GSM network is 1900 I believe?)

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 January 07 7:00 pm

I bought a nice little SAGEM phone at target on telstra prepaid for $70 this week.

Virgin have some at around $50 and vodafone/optus had similar.

VF had a nokia for about $100 incl. a $49 ($235) prepaid cap voucher.

These are all available at Target.

As for free wifi, I know the pancake kitchen in canberra has complimentary, but I don't know if that applies to all of them (and there's not that many).

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 15 January 07 6:07 am

Is that Pancake Parlour?

D@nim@l

Post by D@nim@l » 15 January 07 6:25 am

Thanks for all the replies and PMs, this has been very helpful!

Cached

Post by Cached » 15 January 07 10:22 am

McPhan wrote:Is that Pancake Parlour?
Yep

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 15 January 07 1:27 pm

Pesky! wrote:MCdonalds here have Wifi, but is costs $5.00/1/2hour
they are about the only "aknowledged" locations
there are however a mulitude of "free" locations that are just meters from mpeoples houses,as so many have not closed off thier wirelss broadband.
Can of worms opened :roll:

Cached

Post by Cached » 15 January 07 1:38 pm

Pesky! wrote:MCdonalds here have Wifi, but is costs $5.00/1/2hour
they are about the only "aknowledged" locations
there are however a mulitude of "free" locations that are just meters from mpeoples houses,as so many have not closed off thier wirelss broadband.
It's so nice when people share like that.

Quenbeyan was really good like that - people sharing everywhere.