Mapsource download

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
josty

Mapsource download

Post by josty » 19 December 05 2:33 am

Hello everybody,

I'll be visiting your lovely country in about 2 weeks. And you know what, I'm bringing my GPS-unit!

The problem is that I need maps of the country. I saw the program City navigator Australia v6 on the Garmin site. Since I have a Garmin eTrex Vista C I think this would be a good piece of map software (or not????, I'm a noob).

But when I checked the internet shops I saw that it costs about €250 wich is A LOT...... Sooooo, I was thinking that some of you ozzie boys and girls might know where I could download it....like... for free!

Thanks and "see you later",
Josty!

ideology

Post by ideology » 19 December 05 6:34 am

the software is copyright so you are unlikely to find it free

alex runs a map shop and probably sells the software. his site is at http://www.cartographics.com.au/home/index.php
spindoc bob is using publicly available data to generate maps. his site as at http://spindoc.geocaching.com.au/maps.html

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 19 December 05 6:17 pm

You could buy Mapsource trip and waypoint manager and download tracks4australia V1.1. It's got more country roads and track then city streets. You might already have trip and waypoint manager when you brought your GPS.

josty

dingen

Post by josty » 19 December 05 8:19 pm

Hi everybody,
Thanks a lot. Today I will try a different manner of aquiering the mapsource software. I hope that the dealer that sells the GPS-unit can give me the australian maps with it, because it's really easy to download the European Mapsource!(special thanks to bittorrent!).
So thanks again for all your help!

Greetings and stuff,
Josty

josty

Post by josty » 22 December 05 9:47 pm

Guess how's back with another question!

In Holland there is a site that comparess different GPS-dealers, so that you can find the cheapest. Is there a simular site in Australia. I'm looking for a offer so that I can buy a Garmin GPS with the City navigator Australia map for a reasonnable price.

Goodbuy!
Josty

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 22 December 05 11:35 pm

Where are you going to be? Cartographics is a good option if you are in Adelaide - can't help with other cities though.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 28 December 05 10:45 pm

The Recommended Sale Price for City Navigator is about Euro 231 but we (sales@cartographics.com.au) can do better than that for geocachers. Buying a GPS including City Navigator would be about Euro600 for a Garmin C320 or Quest. I can normally match the best prices from the major internet dealers for Australian units.

A cheaper option for your Garmin would be the Garmin Metro Guide software. not turn-by-turn but will give you a detailed background map on your Garmin unit. RRP is $A199 = Euro121

If you just want maps on your PC for planning the Natmap 1:250,000 scale maps on CD for all of Australia can help your planning $A99 or about 61Euro.

In any event, enjoy your visit.