Campervan holiday, Perth to Brisbane

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Colonial Marine

Campervan holiday, Perth to Brisbane

Post by Colonial Marine » 18 March 05 9:53 am

Hi all,

my parents (mid 60s) are having their second wind and want to campervan across from Perth to briz (or the other way) They THINK its cheaper to see Australia by campervan, personally I reckon its cheaper by car and B&B, what do you lot think?

They have the time, I calculate they need at least 30 days for the trip, plus stays at both ends for a rest!

Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced company which does one way trips with campervans?

I reckon they'll have less hassle with a car and B&B but they are old and stubborn.

Feel free to post whatever you think is relvant, including votes for car & B&B. And any recommendations.

Regards,

and thanks in advance

CM

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 18 March 05 1:01 pm

I hope they've done their research and realise just how BIG this country is! Particularly, how empty it is between Adelaide and Perth (apart from some small oases of civilisation along the way. And Whyalla.)

I made the mistake of deciding to 'experience the distance' on a return trip from Darwin to Adelaide some years ago. Bus from Darwin to Alice Springs, then the Ghan train to Adelaide. After the first couple of hours of semi-arid desert scenery, the thrill starts to wear off...

I'd suggest that, assuming that they're following the East coast down from Brissy, they might like to ditch the campervan in Adelaide, fly to the Alice and see Uluru and King's Canyon etc. (yes, they have to. You haven't seen Australia until you've seen its red heart.), then fly on to Perth and hire another car to see the Southwest corner of the country.

zuji.com is a good site for finding car hires, etc.

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 18 March 05 3:25 pm

if they dont no the country, i would say forget it. they would be better flying from Perth to Adelaide and then going around the coast to brisbane.
forget about driving accross the top end. this is some of the most rugged road country in the world, not to mention the heat and floods in the wet season.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 18 March 05 4:57 pm

There is one more option that they can do.

Drive the Brisbane - Sydney leg, take the Indian-Pacific Train to Perth (get them to book Sleepers) then fly to Alice Springs and then fly to Darwin and leave from there, That would just about cover the Land Downunder appart from Tassie and the Great Barrier Reef.

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 18 March 05 5:36 pm

I can recommend the trip between Sydney and Perth on the Indian Pacific. I was in a seat, and I still had an awesome time. It was a lovely trip- fantastic. <br>
<br>
Marie

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 18 March 05 7:18 pm

One thing that no one has covered it the food aspect, if they are camper vanning accross with a fridge full of food. Some of the Australian states have rules about what can and can't cross the border ... we lost a lot of foodstuff coming from Darwin to Perth as the WA border is pretty strict on what you can bring into WA. But heading from Perth to Darwin you can carry whatever you want foodwise. I'm not sure about the eastern borders since it's been at least ten years since we left for greener pastures.<p>We also rode the train from Adelaide to Perth once with a carriage full of english and swedish backpackers .... wont forget that trip for awhile :wink: <p>Neither will the backpackers, travelling on the cheap they had bags of oranges and apples for cheap food along the way and lost the lot to border inspectors on arrival in WA after much pleading and appologising.

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 18 March 05 8:00 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

They have a lot more research to do and will have to rethink their entire holiday.

Thanks again, reason and common sense prevails!

CM

belken

Post by belken » 18 March 05 9:28 pm

Well I am of a slightly different opinion of some of the people that have posted so far. Driving across this country is the only way to see the place.
I must admit this from a pair of people who lived in Townsville Nth Queensland and thought nothing of jumping in the Pajero and driving 4 days to Perth to watch the World rally championship.
I have driven over 1 million kilometres and still have not seen enough.
Our current travels will see us spending 10 days travelling from Adelaide to Perth and far from having nothing, there is a plethora of things to see and do.
It is a big country and driving it is not for those that require a rest stop every hour. I did take a mate from Holland on his first across the top on a camping trip and by the second day when we had travelled 1400 kilometres he worked out that in Europe he would have passed through 5 countries and hit the ocean at Portugal and we were not even a quarter of the way.
To camp out you will share a lot of spots with like minded people and with a little knowledge you may be able to miss the spots where most people just stop to complete their toiletries. There are books to buy that will give the location of free camping areas across the country.
The restriction of food stuffs is restricted to Fruit and vegetables going east and add honey processed or not going west. Also plants or plant soil to be specific. So no pot plants. The restriction will also apply to those waxy boxes that fruit and veges are packed in. It is not a real problem you can do without a couple of apples for a day.
30 days is more than adequate. A 4WD Britz Camper will take you across the central road through to Uluru etc.
Depending on what you wanted to see there are many different ways to go. We camp off the road not always in recognised camping spots. We shower at roadhouses which cost $3-5. A powered site at a caravan park is $15-25. Make sure you have a diesel powered vehicle and work on an average cost of $1.25 per litre. Take fuel containers to miss the expensive remote spots where possible.
On the trip to Adelaide we have 90 litre tank plus carry 80 more litres. Filled up in Perth at $1.13per litre. Topped up Norseman $1.26 per litre. Filled up Penong $1.13 per litre and then Adelaide at $1.13. The Eyre Highway between these points is around $1.39.
Flying will give you nothing of what this country can offer. Sit in a roadhouse and strike up a conversation with your fellow travellers. Pull into a camping area and introduce yourselves and you will be told of the best spots in the direction your travelling. Find that spot and just decide to sit there with no one else within cooee just because it makes you feel good. Take a lot of photos and talk about those spots for the rest of your life.

acts2youthgroup

Post by acts2youthgroup » 18 March 05 10:25 pm

I think you need to consider, the country they are coming from and the country they are arriving in, the climate change can be a killer. i like my long drives to and probably would not think twice about it, But for someone to arrive by plane and then drive accross the country thats another thing.

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 19 March 05 12:45 am

Thanks again for the replies.

Belkin I am all for doing it your way, IF I was there to help share the driving, but as it stands its just the two of them so Im advising against driving the whole way from Perth to Brisbane. Also my mum wouldnt drive anything as big as a campervan so my dad would have to do 100% of the driving.

My family and I are visiting Australia in April for our own holiday, as we are planning to immigrate sometime later in the year. So my parents will have to holiday on their own this time. I think they need a trip with less driving pressure.

Once we immigrate and get established we can hopefully make our dream come true and get some 4x4 lessons and buy a Lancruiser/Patrol. Then we can see Auatralia as we'd like to.

But I believe the whole Toyota Landcruiser vs Nissan Patrol is another discussion on its own!

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 19 March 05 7:48 am

Colonial Marine,

No matter what method of travel your parents decide on they will have a great time out here. It is just a matter of finding the most suitable means for them. Everyone has made valid points, there is no correct solution that we will all agree on as we all have our own personal preferences.

My folks are heading off around Australia shortly, they are also in their mid 60's, but there is a big difference. This is their 3rd/4th time, and I have lost count of how many short(1 to 6 month trips) they have completed over the years. They have 30plus years caravaning expirence, and have been "professional tourists/grey nomads" since dad retired from the police about 8years ago. They are now happiest when the van is hooked up and the Jackaroo is pointed away from home(and so are we kids but that is another story :wink: )

My wife's uncle and aunt came out from the UK while we were living in Townsville. He was a professional driver in the UK, he asked how long it would take to get Townsville, from Sydney, driving. My response was " Three 10 hr days for me, and you wouldn't make it." We suggested that they fly to Townsville and have a week with us. They took the advice and really enjoyed themselves. Afterwards Alan said, "thanks for the advice not to drive, I didn't really think it was that far". And that is the thing, most visitors don't realise the size of the country. The journey to Townsville is a trip that I now won't even think about doing in less than 4 days driving and I had done it on a regular basis.

Cheers
Swampgecko

acts2youthgroup

Post by acts2youthgroup » 19 March 05 8:37 am

To be honest they could spend the 30 days in just one state and they probably wont see all there is on offer in that state. There is just so much to see and do. England will fit in to the state of victoria and that is one of the smaller states. Brisbane to Cairns would be a good option, take in the barrier reef. So many choice's tough decisions.

Colonial Marine

Post by Colonial Marine » 19 March 05 10:42 am

Cheers folks for all the replies,

They arent total noobs, they have been caravaners in South Africa for 20 years before they came to the UK, I Just want them to have fun, eith as little pressure as poss.

What I really want is for us all to do a huge 4x4 holiday with 3 generations of the family roughing it and having loads of fun along the way.

Regards

CM

PS Swampgecko good on yer old man. I hope he spends ALL of his pension and then some! He's earned every penny!

Post by Guest » 05 April 05 11:53 pm

** spam removed by i! **