Brisbane airport caches

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Clatmandu

Brisbane airport caches

Post by Clatmandu » 15 November 11 3:30 am

While researching flights to Melbourne for the Mega in April, I found some flights with a layover of 2-3hr in Brisbane, and was wondering if any of the nearby caches are able to be done on foot from the terminals? It looks to be the only way I could add a third state to my stats on this trip.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Re: Brisbane airport caches

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 15 November 11 8:44 am

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 084b861f94
is about the only cache that may be within walking distance of the terminals. I could not say for certain how far Charles Kingsford Smiths memorial is from the terminals. It is certainly within the airport precinct. Hopefully a more local cacher will chime in with that answer.

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 15 November 11 9:35 am

It looks doable as I have been through Brissy airport a number of times. My only suggestion would be to have a spare shirt and deodorant waiting for you when you get back to the terminal at this time of the year... Sitting next to a "smelly person" in a plane is not really that nice! :D 8)

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 15 November 11 10:26 am

Of course, depending on what time and day you are looking at arriving, there could also be a friendly local cacher willing to turn up in their car, and give you a very quick drive around, allowing you to grab a couple of the local caches. Even better if they have also done those caches, so they know the quickest way to GZ. Dont be afraid to ask.

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 15 November 11 1:41 pm

I used to have a cache at the memorial "Smithy"....but had to archive it as it was deemed to be on airport land...a no no!! Strangely another was approved not some 10m away from where my cache was!

As in walking distance.....there are a couple around DFO but even so they are fair hike!

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 15 November 11 2:20 pm

If you are flying in from the USA and out to Melbourne, you will come in at the International terminal and out through Domestic, so you will need to transfer between terminals, which are some distance apart.

One cache is very close to International, the other is at a viewing area normally accessed by car.

I have walked to both cache locations from the Domestic terminal on separate occasions while waiting for flights.

So yes, both are doable, but depending on the inter-terminal transfer arrangements, and all the other stuff you need to do (clearing customes etc)with 2-3 hours you might only do one unless you can do the one at International, then transfer by bus/train to Domestic and do the other from there.

If you can only do one, and have a choice, go for the one near the International terminal and visit the display there, even if it means walking back from the Domestic terminal after checking in. (NB I have not done the cache at the International, but did one previously located there)

Don't look at anything on the other side of the runway or the river, to the west and east. It's many miles by road to get there.

Clatmandu

Post by Clatmandu » 15 November 11 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the info. BR&C, that is the cache I was looking at, and I suppose at 5am, the traffic shouldn't be 'too' bad.lol

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 November 11 4:02 pm

Dik: wrote:If you are flying in from the USA and out to Melbourne, you will come in at the International terminal and out through Domestic, so you will need to transfer between terminals, which are some distance apart.
Luckily however there is an elevated rail line with a station right outside both terminals, so don't be fooled into paying for a taxi to get between the terminals. Also if you are on the same airline for both flights they may well have a transfer service.

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 16 November 11 7:56 am

The 2 caches in the airport area are within walking distance of the terminals. GC2QFAE is within 300 metres of the International Terminal and it is quite easy to find and to walk to. GCGT1P is about a 400 metre walk from the Domestic Terminal and is also an easy walk and the cache is in a drive by area; muggles might be the only problem but that can be overcome.
There is also a train between the 2 terminals so getting from one to the other is easy (also a bus).
If you let us know your flight details, I might be able to drive you round; it would only take about 20 minutes to get both if you were driven. If i can't help someone else might be able to.

Clatmandu

Post by Clatmandu » 18 November 11 4:00 am

Good to know both are easily reached on foot. Flying in at 5am and out at 8 on Quantas, so they cover the shuttle to the terminals, hopefully customs doesn't take too long and I can get to both, otherwise I'll head to the viewing area. Looking forward to meeting everyone in Albury.

lemmykc
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by lemmykc » 18 November 11 8:38 pm

Clatmandu wrote:Good to know both are easily reached on foot. Flying in at 5am and out at 8 on Quantas, so they cover the shuttle to the terminals, hopefully customs doesn't take too long and I can get to both, otherwise I'll head to the viewing area. Looking forward to meeting everyone in Albury.
I hate to be nit picky, however QANTAS is one of the only words in the english language that starts with a Q and doesn't have a U after it #-o

EASY mistake to make however.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 19 November 11 7:51 am

Just realized that we will have already left home and set off for the OZ Mega by then but someone else still in Brisbane might be able to meet you and get you around: both caches are certainly walkable. We will be driving down to Albury and pulling our camper trailer as we intend to be away for a month, traveling in Victoria after the event.