Left in the dark... (night-cache) GC1YQBG

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Re: Left in the dark... (night-cache) GC1YQBG

Post by Philipp » 21 July 11 4:00 pm

Soltus wrote:But I think you have a type of cache here in Australia, that we don't have in germany (or only verry verry less) -> Off-Road-Caches! :P

So you realy need a SUV or 4-whele-driven car (like a jeep) to do this? Is this only because of the far distance you need to go away from the road, or is there a nothere reason? How they are done?
Having a SUV/off-roader in Germany is as useful as having a German car in Australia - you just can't use it for the purpose it has been build.

4WD caches are just far away from sealed roads. In theory you could walk there as well but that could could take up to several days. If it's a T5 4WD cache, it's most of the times a cache where a SUV isn't useful anymore >> you would need a serious off-roader with recovery gear and possibly a second vehicle. Here's an example what you can do with a SUV: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1081102

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 21 July 11 4:55 pm

Cool :D

So I recomend to rent a SUV/4WD when coming to Australia for Geocaching-Holidays ;)

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 July 11 11:30 pm

Soltus wrote:Cool :D

So I recomend to rent a SUV/4WD when coming to Australia for Geocaching-Holidays ;)
Definitely not!

For starters there are very few 4WD only caches. It will allow you to get a few bush ones up fire trails, or on the few beaches you are allowed to drive on. Plus of course some outback ones. So unless you are planning a specific outback trip it's not worth it.

The main reason I say "definitely not" is that there are dangers. For a start if you haven't owned a 4WD before and know what it is capable of you can easily fall into the trap of "I have a 4WD and can go anywhere". I have seen several examples of people getting into severe trouble with that attitude. Knowing what you and the vehicle is capable of is essential before trying anything hard. And the only way to learn is with training, or by gradually pushing the boundaries until you get stuck - then preferably in company with someone who can pull you out. Beach driving you will need to lower tyre pressure, then have a pump to put them back afterwards.

Next - Australia is BIG. In my experience Europeans generally don't recognise how big. It's roughly the size of Europe with about 21 million people. Which also means it is mostly empty. Yes Australian mobile phone networks cover about 99% of the population but only 25% of the landmass according to government figures (in fact I am surprised the landmass coverage is that high). So if you are remote and get stuck you can't just whip out the mobile and call for help. There are even dead spots surprisingly close to major population centres in valleys etc.

The size also means things are a long way apart. I have heard of tourists deciding to drive to Ayers Rock for example, on dirt roads they didn't know the condition of, with a normal hire car. Add to the fact they had no backup food or water in case of a breakdown and the next town is several hundred kilometres up the track. Who knows when the next car might come past and be able to help if something goes wrong?

4WDing in Australia requires planning and preparation. Yes, it might just be a local fire trail or forest you know about close to home where you drive for a bit of fun. It might be a month long trip through the outback where extra fuel and water are required. Either way, planning and a backup plan is a necessity.

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 22 July 11 12:46 am

As being new to Australia: Richary is 100% right. It's like driving 250 km/h in Germany if the fastest you've driven before is 110 km/h on an Australian freeway >> disaster waiting to happen.

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 22 July 11 11:19 am

Richary wrote:Yes Australian mobile phone networks cover about 99% of the population but only 25% of the landmass according to government figures (in fact I am surprised the landmass coverage is that high). So if you are remote and get stuck you can't just whip out the mobile and call for help. There are even dead spots surprisingly close to major population centres in valleys etc.
My loungeroom, kitchen and bathroom... Thanks Optus :twisted: :twisted:

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 22 July 11 12:48 pm

Muh :)

wow :shock:
There is no Area in germany that you could call "wildness" ... everywhere are people and the next road/village/city is always close ... so no chance to go lost :P

Yes, It's true ... Australia is very big and there are only a few areas where people live. So I thought Off-Road means to go somewhere off the road in this areas ... that it could be somewhere in the nowhere I did'nt even thing about :P

And I did do my first experiance with the wathere in australia :O
I did not realize (and I think walw didn't to) what can happen when It's raining .. [-o<
So we did not find "Left in the dark ..." and we were close to geting lost in a torrent :shock:

It was a good idea not to go alone ... and good deal from walw to bring a rope with ... otherewise we wouldn't have a chance to cross the (dry)creek on the way back :P

So I more and more see the differences betwen germany and here. In the city the most caches are the same ... but when you lock at the T-Rating of a cache a german should add 1/2 point *g*
Where we have comfortable trails where you can walk in the woods here are these "firetrails" ... I even have no idea how a fire-truck can drive there? ... and the area here in sydney is very rocky ... so the water can go no where and everything get's flodded .. (add 2 points to the T-Raing when It's raining) ...

I think I will try this cache again when there is no rain to come :P

Greetings,
Soltus

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 22 July 11 5:05 pm

Soltus wrote:... I even have no idea how a fire-truck can drive there?
http://www.multidrive.com.au/fire_fighting.html

walw
1300 or more caches found
1300 or more caches found

Post by walw » 23 July 11 1:04 am

It did end up being a bit more adventurous than planned! The learning lesson was that it's perhaps prudent to assume that the creek will always be higher on the way back even if it has already been raining (ie surely it can't go higher than it already is!) 8-[ . The worst bit was trying to hang onto the rope to cross, while balancing a less than impressed border collie on my shoulder...Now that's a way to get the difficulty rating up!

Thanks for the excuse to go caching Soltus. A good night out, made much more interesting by the rain. :mrgreen:

Richary

Post by Richary » 23 July 11 1:17 am

Soltus wrote:Yes, It's true ... Australia is very big and there are only a few areas where people live. So I thought Off-Road means to go somewhere off the road in this areas ... that it could be somewhere in the nowhere I did'nt even thing about :P
If you are only staying near capital cities then you don't need a 4WD. You will easily run out of caches to find well before your need to go bush. That said, some of the best caches near Sydney involve a bushwalk rather than urban drive-bys. Which ones you go for depend on your caching style.

I like a bushwalk that might take a couple of hours to get one or two, though when visiting a new country a few quick finds are good.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the terrain rating, in my experience most caches in Australia are pretty accurate. If it gets above 2.5 then read the description. There are few caches here that have a very high terrain rating with no description about what you will encounter. So you know what you need before you go. Whether it is remote access, or all of a sudden you need to be a rock climber or abseiler.