Left in the dark... (night-cache) GC1YQBG

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Soltus

Left in the dark... (night-cache) GC1YQBG

Post by Soltus » 20 July 11 2:53 pm

Muh :)

Yes, I'm a International Visitor .. so I hope I'm right here? :P

I'm from Germany and on Busniss-Trip ... so I combine this of cource with Geocaching ... where ever I am =)
Now this is my first trip to australia, and I would like to get in contact with geocaching comunity here. (It will not be my last trip)

Currently I'm in Sydney and looking for some night-caches. For my point of view here in Sydney are verry verry less Night-Caches. But I did see one that is not to far away from the place I'm ... It's -> Left in the dark... (night-cache) http://coord.info/GC1YQBG

This Is 3/3, so not simple. I'm alone here in Sydney currently and fear to go out in the Dark! :O
No, but It's -> You should NEVER go alone for geocaching

So if anyone want's to join me and want to do this geocache, please tell me :)

Additional I would like to talk about the diferences in geocaching in germany and here in australia. For me there are some small, but they doing a huge difference. For example the bark everywhere on the ground! I don't have a I for "unusual placed bark" ... :P ...
This are thinks I would like to talk about on the "short" footwalk in the dark ;)
(may be here in this thread too?)

Additional I want to write some artiles about "geocachig in australia" at our "Cache and Travel" Page ... and for this I try to collect some experience ;)

Greetings from Germany,
Soltus

walw
1300 or more caches found
1300 or more caches found

Re: Left in the dark... (night-cache) GC1YQBG

Post by walw » 20 July 11 3:37 pm

Hi Soltus,
I live nearby and have done this cache a couple of years ago. I'd be happy to go for a walk to find it again, as it's been a while since last located. I'm free Thursday night and possibly Friday. My mobile number is 0420 960 548 if you are still looking for volunteers for this cache.
best wishes,
Walter (also from Germany, but a very long time ago!)

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 20 July 11 5:13 pm

Soltus wrote:No, but It's -> You should NEVER go alone for geocaching
Oooops - I must have missed this part in the guidelines :mrgreen: No seriously: It is ok to go after caches in the dark even if you are alone. Especially this cache is in a reasonable suburb. Even if you twist your ankle you can still call 000 (die Australische Version von 112). But since Walter already offered that is kind of theoretical :wink:

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 20 July 11 5:18 pm

Soltus wrote:For my point of view here in Sydney are verry verry less Night-Caches.
The biggest nightcaching communities are in Adelaide and in Melbourne ... where Melbourne is growing fast (wondering where that is coming from)

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 20 July 11 5:54 pm

of course you are right ... It's OK to go for geocaching alone ... I often did do my self :P
But I have no Idea what I will find there ... I even don't know where I'm :S
So I prepare to do everything I don't know the "risk" to do NOT alone ... :)
(climbing, walking away from the walkingways .. aso)

If I would need to call 000 I even could not tel them where I am ... ?? ... :O ... (S 50°xx.xxx E50°yy.yyyy???) :)

But I already caled walw ...and we will meet at the parkin lot ;)
.... thank you =)

I can't understand why this Cache is done so less ... It's now close to 1 1/2 Year of age and only 8 Founds .. :O
Don't the people in Sydney like Night-Caches? It's my prefered cache-style :P

Greetings,
Soltus

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 20 July 11 7:46 pm

Soltus wrote:I can't understand why this Cache is done so less ... It's now close to 1 1/2 Year of age and only 8 Founds .. :O
Don't the people in Sydney like Night-Caches? It's my prefered cache-style :P
Well there is a bit of history involved why nightcaching is SO big in Germany >> it's not that common in any other country on this planet.

Back in 2002 / 2003 some guys placed some nightcaches in Germany but they were pretty much a niche product. I didn't really fly for a while since there weren't that many cachers and there wasn't a real community around the whole thing. In the winter of 2003/2004 a guy called Jürgen placed the very first nightcache in the Munich area (It was called "Little Nightmeer"), which could have been just another one of the previous nightcaches.

Well it wasn't because two other - by the time well-known - Munich cachers picked up the concept and took it to a whole new level. One of them introduced reactive lights and other kind of electronics. Around the same time also a Frankfurt-based cacher did introduce stuff like that in his Night Shift Series - but there was an ingredient missing to start the thing over there: The other bloody idiot from Munich basically placed the mother of all hardcore nightcaches: Mission Echo. That combination of creative stages and a challenge which was completely different to day-time caches kicked the whole concept off.

Of course the were events and a lot of activities around it which formed an community from Ulm via Augsburg to Munich and helped the whole idea. Later that extended to Frankfurt as well since the bloody idiot originally came from that area but it all started in the Spring of 2004. That led to the over 4000 nightcaches which were placed over the past years in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Since then some got archived along the way, you are currently looking at 2800 active nightcaches in the same area.

In Australia and New Zealand you look at a total of around 100 nightcaches but that changed in the past month and I definitely see them popping up more and more.

Cheers
The bloody idiot ;)

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 20 July 11 8:30 pm

Thats realy a great story ... I didn't know ... For me nightcaches never was something spezial :P
So the people in australia miss realy one of the gratest style of a Multi :O
There are so many possibilities to "create" a experience for everyone who is searching the cache.

But this still does not explain why the "left in the dark" cache was done so less . . . It has 65% Favoriete points, whats a lot. So even the favoriete points are used very less here in australia . . . This means it's a great cache (i hope)

I know your homepage :)
I found it as I was searching my first time for "night caching" at google . . . Then i realised that its an Australian page an thougt Night Caching is a big thing in Australia . . . But now I thing it's your try to make nighcaching bigger in Australia?

Greetings,
Soltus

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 20 July 11 8:37 pm

[removed by mod] ... I know "missing echos" . . . oO
It's a legend . . . :O

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 20 July 11 10:32 pm

Soltus wrote:[removed by mod] ... I know "missing echos" . . . oO
It's a legend . . . :O
First and final language warning.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 July 11 12:06 am

Some people obviously enjoy nightcaching. While I have never tried to find a nightcache good on those who do. I have tried normal caches at night and generally found them a lot harder than during the day, so tend not to bother. To me caching is about the journey to get somewhere, so I would rather see the surrounds than stumble through the dark looking for markers.

Personal preference of course, and we are all free to cache how we enjoy doing it.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 21 July 11 9:53 am

Of course you are right :)

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 21 July 11 11:05 am

I do alot of my normal caching at night. So does this make them night caches?
Always better parking late at night and less muggles. Just the police don't favour those walking around the back of buildings late at night flashing a tourch around.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 21 July 11 12:07 pm

doing a cache at night don't make it a night cache ... the Idea is that you only can find the cache when It's dark. For example the way you need to walk is marked with reflextors. Additonal a lot of people use UV active things and electronic toys like reactive lights or infrared. :)

When you search for a normal cache in the dark it gets often harder to find. There is nothing you can see very well in the dark, so you will need a lot of night. A night cache is done difrent ... mostly lesser light is needed to find them because otherewise you will miss the "hint".

And to walk through the woods in the dark is a great feeling. And one of the greatest deals is a lost place night cache! :O
Often the people create great storys for the cache that is driven forward station by station ... mostly a horror story ...

And there are normaly never made stations like: "Whats on the sign" or "when has the building been created" ... aso. Each station is a installation .. may be only a box .. may be a display ... or a light that flashs a morse-code ..

Greetings,
Soltus

Philipp

Post by Philipp » 21 July 11 12:40 pm

Soltus wrote:And one of the greatest deals is a lost place night cache! :O
"Lost place" is a pseudo-anglicism like "Handy" (which means mobile) - the English term is "abandoned place". We don't have too many of them since sticking to the guidelines and local laws has a lot more attention than in Germany. If you place something like this it gets shut down very fast - for a good reason! That makes it a bit difficult sometimes because certain things which would be ok in Germany aren't allowed down here. I placed a whole cache around that topic: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... wp=GC2R8F2

For the story-line caches: That might be interesting.

Soltus

Post by Soltus » 21 July 11 1:11 pm

very cool listing ... and real hardcore caches! :O
cool =)

Yea, I already realiced that everything is ver verry verry save ... so the people waring this warning wests in their job .. only walking on special foot walks ... everything very britisch =)

But I think you have a type of cache here in Australia, that we don't have in germany (or only verry verry less) -> Off-Road-Caches! :P

So you realy need a SUV or 4-whele-driven car (like a jeep) to do this? Is this only because of the far distance you need to go away from the road, or is there a nothere reason? How they are done?

And we have very less caches in germany where you need a boat to get it.

Greetings,
Soltus