Visiting from Chicago in July

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
AKiteFlier

Visiting from Chicago in July

Post by AKiteFlier » 28 May 11 6:58 am

G' day mates! We will be traveling to your beautiful country in a few short weeks and I'm looking to pick up a few (yeah yeah, just a few :wink: ) caches while we are there. I have a TB of a Koala bear that has been wanting to get down under and I'm bringing that along with me. We will be in Cairns and Michaelmas Cay (also up the Kuranda Rail I think it is) Sydney, Adelaide and Kangaroo Island (any on there??) and Melbourne. Open to great caches or easiest to find since we'll have limited access via GPS...

Thanks - can't wait to come visit and cache!!! \:D/

sushilord
6000 or more caches found

Re: Visiting from Chicago in July

Post by sushilord » 28 May 11 10:40 am

G'day A KiteFlyer

Yes, there are some caches on Kangaroo Island.

We have a regular event - Pub Lunch/Dinner - in Adelaide and the organsier (The Barramundies) should be able to get one up to fit in with your visit.

I suggest trying some of the most recommended caches in and around Adelaide.

PM sent.

pjmpjm
Twitter: Booroobin

Re: Visiting from Chicago in July -- Reply RE: Sydney Area

Post by pjmpjm » 28 May 11 10:55 am

AKiteFlier wrote:G' day mates! We will be traveling to your beautiful country in a few short weeks and I'm looking to pick up a few (yeah yeah, just a few :wink: ) caches while we are there. I have a TB of a Koala bear that has been wanting to get down under and I'm bringing that along with me. We will be in Cairns and Michaelmas Cay (also up the Kuranda Rail I think it is) Sydney, Adelaide and Kangaroo Island (any on there??) and Melbourne. Open to great caches or easiest to find since we'll have limited access via GPS... Thanks - can't wait to come visit and cache!!! \:D/
Hope you'll have a great visit! Have sent you a PM . . .

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 28 May 11 11:01 am

If your going up to Kuranda from Cairns, I really would suggest going up by train, and back via the Skyrail. The view as you crest the range heading east is pretty spectacular.

AKiteFlier

Post by AKiteFlier » 01 June 11 10:23 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:If your going up to Kuranda from Cairns, I really would suggest going up by train, and back via the Skyrail. The view as you crest the range heading east is pretty spectacular.
I can't remember which way the trip is booked but I'm looking forward to it for sure. Are there any caches up in Kuranda? I'm still trying to pare down my pocket queries and go with recommendations instead of just a stab in the dark :) I'll check our Kuranda tour when I get my final papers together.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 June 11 11:01 am

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc19jyj.gmap
Centered on Kuranda
Zoom in and out to see what's there.

List of close recommended caches near Kuranda.
http://geocaching.com.au/search/?nr=gc19jyj
Recommendations are made by geocachers who like the caching experience at that cache.
You may need to read the logs to work out why it was recommended.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 01 June 11 4:57 pm

Akiteflyer

If your not already aware, Australia works on a 4 digit postcode system, similar to the USA 5 digit zipcode. Geocaching.com will search on that postcode system. http://auspost.com.au/apps/postcode.html is the page you want. Type in a town, suburb, or city- making sure you have the correct state, Qld-Queensland, NSW-New South Wales, Vic-Victoria, Tas-Tasmania, SA-South Australia, WA-Western Australia, ACT-Australian Capital Territory, NT-Northern Territory, then search away. Be aware the system is not infallable, either Australia Posts or Groundspeaks, and sometimes a postcode for a particular place wont show up in a PQ search, or sometimes a postcode covers a huge area, eg 4702 covers an area about 100 x 600 miles. If this happens, or you get a postcode not recognised by the PQ, try one number either side. All addresses of any business that you might check out, will end with the 4 digit postcode, making your life a lot simplier.

Cheers
Bundy

AKiteFlier

Post by AKiteFlier » 02 June 11 1:47 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Akiteflyer

If your not already aware, Australia works on a 4 digit postcode system, similar to the USA 5 digit zipcode. Geocaching.com will search on that postcode system. http://auspost.com.au/apps/postcode.html is the page you want. Type in a town, suburb, or city- making sure you have the correct state, Qld-Queensland, NSW-New South Wales, Vic-Victoria, Tas-Tasmania, SA-South Australia, WA-Western Australia, ACT-Australian Capital Territory, NT-Northern Territory, then search away. Be aware the system is not infallable, either Australia Posts or Groundspeaks, and sometimes a postcode for a particular place wont show up in a PQ search, or sometimes a postcode covers a huge area, eg 4702 covers an area about 100 x 600 miles. If this happens, or you get a postcode not recognised by the PQ, try one number either side. All addresses of any business that you might check out, will end with the 4 digit postcode, making your life a lot simplier.

Cheers
Bundy
Thanks Bundy - that's a big help - will be working on this soon to get what I need. Just got a couple of AUS maps loaded to my GPS so I hope that will help too. :-) Hope to meet some cachers when I get down there. That would be AWESOME!!!

AKiteFlier

Post by AKiteFlier » 02 June 11 1:52 pm

caughtatwork wrote:http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc19jyj.gmap
Centered on Kuranda
Zoom in and out to see what's there.

List of close recommended caches near Kuranda.
http://geocaching.com.au/search/?nr=gc19jyj
Recommendations are made by geocachers who like the caching experience at that cache.
You may need to read the logs to work out why it was recommended.
Thanks I will check those out for sure. There are some abbreviations I didn't understand on some of the cache pages I've looked up - I don't have one in front of me but I think CBM? , CMD? or CGB or something like that I've seen a lot? Ack - I'll look one up again unless someone knows what I mean,

Thanks for helping!

AKiteFlier

Post by AKiteFlier » 22 July 11 12:32 am

G'Day mates! Just wanted to send off a final thank you to everyone in Australia who helped make our caching experiences wonderful! I managed to find 49 caches on my trip - several virtuals and my first ever earthcaches!! I especially thank the SA group in Adelaide for hosting a pub lunch event for me - it was delightful to meet fellow geocachers and then to be "kidnapped" for two afternoons of caching with a crazy fun group was the best! I got some fresh ideas and just had a lovely, lovely time continuing my hobby while traveling. Had the best luck using my iPhone for finding caches - the maps I loaded on my Oregon were not real helpful but the compass feature was great when I finally got near GZ. Could not have navigated around without the iPhone though.

Again - thanks mates for all the pre-info, ideas and suggestions for worthwhile caches and for proving to me that geocachers around the world are a great group of folks!

Hope to return to your beautiful country again someday to visit the places I did not get to go.
Cheers,

Pam (aka AKiteFlier or just "kite")

AKiteFlier

Post by AKiteFlier » 22 July 11 12:36 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:If your going up to Kuranda from Cairns, I really would suggest going up by train, and back via the Skyrail. The view as you crest the range heading east is pretty spectacular.
We did this and it was spectacular!!! Truly breathtaking. :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 22 July 11 12:40 am

Great you enjoyed the trip. I have found cachers everywhere to be friendly, so good you could catch up with some of my friends from Adelaide where I lived when I got into this mad hobby. Hope it showed you some great spots around Oz as well.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 22 July 11 7:42 am

Happy to be of service. Glad you had a great time here.

Cheers
Bundy

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 22 July 11 10:58 am

As a part of your Kidnappers team we are really glad you had a great time we know we did and the laughter will go on. Plus it was good to show a small piece of our great land. Was that a 5/5 you got in there too. :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/ :lol: \:D/

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 23 July 11 11:22 pm

Yep, as another part of the kidnapping team, happy to have met you!
Hope you had a blast!