- Add the Grampians. Absolutely worth it*BaJo* wrote:What do you recommend if we have only 6 weeks?
- Plan only half a day for Melbourne (not much to see anyway except for freaky nightcaches)
- Skip Phillip Island >> You can do a whale/dolphin/seal/penguin watching tour in Narooma. One trip and you see all of them
- Add Narooma
- Skip Canberra - I never met a traveller who didn't say it was a waste of time (Sorry guys @ACT)
- Add Australia Zoo http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9714_n.jpg
- Skip Uluru. I know it is an Australian icon but it takes of almost a week of your schedule
We also had 6 weeks and we didn't stay longer than 3 nights in the same place. That was in Lennox head but that meant we had to stretch the last bit of our trip = 700 km of driving to Cairns in one night.
If comfortable means staying in every place at least two nights, not driving too much in between and having enough time for some caching detours: I'd reckon at least 12 weeks incl. Uluru, Grampians, Phillip Island, Fraser Island and a Whitsunday Cruise.*BaJo* wrote:How long do you think we need in weeks to our route in a comfortable way?
And some other thoughts:
- Book the 4WD for Fraser Island and the cruise for the Whitsundays well in advance so you can fit it into your schedule. Last minute adjustments mean missing out on something else
- avoid the "riverside tourist park" in Rockhampton http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3882_n.jpg