Who can help us with our honeymoon planning?

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Re: Who can help us with our honeymoon planning?

Post by Dvixen » 22 July 11 11:56 pm

Lots of great advice already!

Before I moved here from Canada I did a 6 week trip to Australia. I managed - Sydney, Noosa, Byron Bay, Fraser Island, Canberra, Great Ocean Road. I'd cut out Tasmania and Uluru during the trip - I was feeling very harried from the distances between points. (I should have known better after travelling Europe and being from Canada!) Be prepared to be flexible on your trip, and if you have a reservation anywhere - make sure you know what the terms are for a reschedule or cancellation.

Wilson's Prom from Canberra took us three days the first trip, two the second. I can't imagine doing it in one go.

May/June weather will be very similar to October/November in the Netherlands further south - north it will be more September. Bring wet weather gear, and layers. Buy your sunscreen here - opt for the zinc based ones as they will do your skin much better protection. Even with sunscreen, keep covered, wear a hat, drink lots of water. I cannot stress how much you will have to be careful of the sun here - I'm of fair Dutch stock and I burned so badly that first trip that I scarred. (Not to scare you, the sun here is not kidding around.)

And has been said before - give advance notice to local cachers, and there's an excellent chance of an event for you to meet everyone. It's fantastic fun!

Mike01

Post by Mike01 » 29 July 11 8:07 pm

Australia is the best place to visit.The beaches and the beautiful landscapes will help you to forget the normal life.Gold coast is one of the beautiful places in Australia.You can make use of the online facilities available to book the accommodation and other facilities.

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 07 August 11 6:42 pm

Yeah, our bosses approved our holiday days. So Autralia here we come ;-)
But is now pretty sure we will fly at May 6th to Asutralia and go back at June 26th.

So we really can start now arranging things.

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 03 January 12 4:35 am

Dear all,

First of all: Happy New Year!

Our wedding is coming closer and we have a final travel schedule:

May 5th 2012: Arrival in New Zealand - Auckland
May 16th 2012: Departure from Wellington to Melbourne

May 18th: pick up the http://www.apollocamper.com/campervan-h ... eluxe.aspxand start traveling
June 24th arrival in Cairns and fly back to the Netherlands.

We also bought several travel guides and also Camps 6 B5 format is ordered.

So now we can start looking for geocaching related topics, like:
a) We would like to meet some Australian geocachers if possible
b) As a reminder we would like also to place one cache if we find a suitable place.
c) Which cache should we absolute visit/do?

We are happy to receive some advise

Best regards from the Netherlands.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 03 January 12 8:59 am

One thing to remember, if you place a cache, you need to be able to maintain it, or at the very least have someone local maintain it for you. I dont think you would have too much trouble finding someone to do that, but the issue is doing it within your time frame. Its fairly strictly policed here.

Your alternative could be to consider a GCA holiday cache, GCA is a bit more flexible than GC.com, and allow holiday caches.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 04 January 12 11:42 am

Wow! It's getting closer - I bet you're getting excited about the wedding, as well as the honeymoon.

You're almost certain to run into some cachers some time, but if you'd like something a bit more certain, arrange to be in a certain town or city on a particular date, let people know on the appropriate state forum, and I'm sure an event will be arranged, where you can meet cachers, and they can meet you!

I'm sure you will find people willing to maintain a cache for you - perhaps this could be organised at the event mentioned above?

I don't think there are any really special caches that I would recommend - there are many, many great caches out there - just have fun!
People at a local event would certainly have some local recommendations for you.

Wendy

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 05 January 12 5:19 am

Just a cacher wrote:Wow! It's getting closer - I bet you're getting excited about the wedding, as well as the honeymoon.

You're almost certain to run into some cachers some time, but if you'd like something a bit more certain, arrange to be in a certain town or city on a particular date, let people know on the appropriate state forum, and I'm sure an event will be arranged, where you can meet cachers, and they can meet you!

Wendy
1) What is the link pf the appropriate state forum?
2) There are only two events in Australia?
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest. ... children=y

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 05 January 12 6:38 am

Go to the board index. There's a thin bar right near the top of this page with "Board index » International Section » International visitors" in it.
Click on the Board Index bit.
Then scroll down past the International Visitors bits, and you will find forum titles for our various states.
Click on the state you have a fixed date for visiting.
Start a topic, and ask the locals about events and special caches in a particular area.

It's often a good idea to ask on one of those, and someone may well MAKE an event for you.

Wendy

Clatmandu

Post by Clatmandu » 06 January 12 6:06 pm

You can also set up you're own meet and greets in the various areas you will be passing through if you can't find a local cacher to set one up for you. I know someone who set one up that was held at their campsite, they just had to change the event page at the last minute to let everyone know the campsite number. With google earth, you can find restraunts or parks to hold one in.

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 30 January 12 1:40 am

Hi again,

It's getti g closer and closer.

No we encountered a possible problem.

We would like to have mobile internet with us. After some searching, we found out that Telstra would be the best to get.
after some searching non the Telstr website we found the following: PRE-PAID MOBILE BROADBAND Telstra Elite Pre-Paid Mobile Wi-Fi for 99 dollars and with a 5GB limit and easy recharging.

Is it possible for us we by this set in a Telstra shop in Melbourne when we arrive? Because we heard it could be a problem to buy things like simcards when your not Australian.

Thanks ahead for the advice!

*BaJo*

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 30 January 12 8:01 am

That wont be a problem. You can buy them over the counter and recharge them at many shops, and service station here. The fact that you are from overseas is not going to be a problem.

Dvixen
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found
Twitter: Dvixen, Geowhat

Post by Dvixen » 30 January 12 1:52 pm

Before I moved here I bought a temp phone - no drama being a foreigner.

Dippedidooda
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Dippedidooda » 31 January 12 5:22 pm

I just bought that exact one you referred to, from Dick Smiths store (local store for all sorts of electrical/computer/camera type equipment, so that I could have easy internet access on my trip interstate. And like mentioned, it was over the counter...but I needed to ring up to activate it which required giving my driver's licence number (which I thought was odd but they said it's regular security procedure). It says you need to give licence, birth certificate or passport number I think. So it might be worth emailing telstra just to check on that. Once that was done, it was all very straightforward and it's nice and quick and I'm using it at the moment!

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 17 February 12 12:30 am

we mailed Telstra and they say it is no problem activating it with an foreign drivers license. Thanks for helping!

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 29 February 12 8:03 am

Hi again,

While planning our trip with our pretty big Camps 6 B4, we encountered an bit of a problem in the Sydney area.
We can not find and suitable place to place our RV in the neighbourhood of the centre of Sydney, or an place outside Sydney with good public transport to the centre.

Does any of you have tips for us? where we can overnight in our RV near the Sydney centre, or close to public transport that will get us into Sydney?