Who can help us with our honeymoon planning?

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Just a cacher

Re: Who can help us with our honeymoon planning?

Post by Just a cacher » 05 July 11 8:21 am

If your trip is going to be in our summer, I would say skip Broken Hill. Broken Hill is very interesting but there is a lot of absolutely nothing to see on the way - both from Adelaide, and from Sydney. It is VERY hot out there in the summer. Stick to your drive along the Great Ocean Road. I try not to drive that road in the summer if I can help it.

You say you're going to see the Blue Mountains? Check out Jenolan Caves on Google....

Wendy

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 05 July 11 9:33 am

As you probably know, the route on the map you show does not include the Grampians National Park, Sovereign Hill (Ballarat), Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement Museum, or the Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo).

I'd suggest you add some dates and distances to you itinerary, that'll give you an idea of what's practical.

The east coast is where the majority of the Australian population live. So the route is not hard, or isolated. You will most likely need to stay in caravan parks for a fair bit of the trip.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 05 July 11 2:09 pm

Also, try to, if at all possible, and basically that means certainly, do not drive at night in the country. Animal strike is a very distinct probability. That is why you will see a huge amount of vehicles fitted with bullbars on the front. Even if it is not a large enough animal to do damage to your vehicle, the temptation is there for inexperienced drivers to try to swerve to miss the animal. This can, and does often end in a single vehicle rollover, often with tragic consequences. If this does not happen, then the trauma to a person who does run over and kill an animal can be difficult for that person to handle.

If you do find yourself driving at night, and do see an animal of some sort on the road, its is best to try to slow as much and as safely as possible, but if a collision is unavoidable, then collide as front on as possible. Again, dont try to swerve to avoid the animal, unless you see it from a big distance. Most times, they appear without warning, giving less than a couple of seconds to take evasive manouvers. It may seem callous, but experienced drivers in the country, myself included, generally dont swerve for any animal.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 05 July 11 2:20 pm

I believe it's against Australian driving laws to do so, too - because of the danger to other drivers and yourself.

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 05 July 11 4:50 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I believe it's against Australian driving laws to do so, too - because of the danger to other drivers and yourself.
What is by law forbidden?
We now have the attention to drive every day 200 km (the route on the map is about 6.000 km). We will not do it in the night, just in the morning or afternoon.
roundcircle wrote:As you probably know, the route on the map you show does not include the Grampians National Park, Sovereign Hill (Ballarat), Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement Museum, or the Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo).

I'd suggest you add some dates and distances to you itinerary, that'll give you an idea of what's practical.

The east coast is where the majority of the Australian population live. So the route is not hard, or isolated. You will most likely need to stay in caravan parks for a fair bit of the trip.
Yes, it is not on the map yet. But we are doubting what we should do and what not, because not everything is possible. We need to find the optimum. Do you recommend to visit: Grampians National Park, Sovereign Hill (Ballarat), Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement Museum, or the Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo)?

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 05 July 11 5:02 pm

Don't worry. Only forbidden is swerving to avoid animals when there is risk to others.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 05 July 11 5:16 pm

*BaJo* wrote:
Just a cacher wrote:I believe it's against Australian driving laws to do so, too - because of the danger to other drivers and yourself.
What is by law forbidden?
We now have the attention to drive every day 200 km (the route on the map is about 6.000 km). We will not do it in the night, just in the morning or afternoon.
roundcircle wrote:As you probably know, the route on the map you show does not include the Grampians National Park, Sovereign Hill (Ballarat), Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement Museum, or the Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo).

Yes, it is not on the map yet. But we are doubting what we should do and what not, because not everything is possible. We need to find the optimum. Do you recommend to visit: Grampians National Park, Sovereign Hill (Ballarat), Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement Museum, or the Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo)?
A personal opinion:

Definitely do the Grampians - it's an amazing spot and well worth spending some time there. Plus lots of interesting, challenging caches. Great spot.

I wouldn't do both Sovereign Hill and the Swan Hill Pioneer Museum - Probably a bit too similar in some ways, and Swan Hill is a long way from a lot of places unless you were planning to do some stuff around Mildura and the Murray River. To be honest, I don't think either are that critical unless you've got a real interest in Australian history.

And another alternative to the Western Plains Zoo is the Werribee Open Plain Zoo near Melbourne as well. Just in case....

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 05 July 11 6:05 pm

*BaJo* wrote:We now have the attention to drive every day 200 km (the route on the map is about 6.000 km). We will not do it in the night, just in the morning or afternoon.
Having done almost the same route: We clocked 7300 km from Adelaide to Cairns and didn't even go to Phillip Island & Canberra.

>> VERY tough schedule for 6 weeks

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 05 July 11 9:24 pm

I would probably go to a wildlife park instead of all the way out to Dubbo Zoo. You can visit any zoo and see lions etc. Wildlife parks will get you closer to Aussie animals. Check out Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney for example. Jenny

Taiko'sFamily

Post by Taiko'sFamily » 05 July 11 9:38 pm

or the Australian reptile park has aus mammals too http://www.reptilepark.com.au/our-animals/

featherdale link - http://www.featherdale.com.au/

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 06 July 11 12:23 am

Richary wrote:Hi from Sydney

There isn't an event planned for May/June (you should come earlier for the mega) but that doesn't mean there can't be. Once your itinerary is more planned we can easily organise an event in Sydney when you are coming through.
When is normally the mega event?

Furthermore we see some caches with a terrain rating of 3 till 4. How difficult are they? Do you need to be a professional climber to do them? We know this interpretation is also different from country to country.

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 06 July 11 12:24 am

Philipp wrote:
*BaJo* wrote:We now have the attention to drive every day 200 km (the route on the map is about 6.000 km). We will not do it in the night, just in the morning or afternoon.
Having done almost the same route: We clocked 7300 km from Adelaide to Cairns and didn't even go to Phillip Island & Canberra.

>> VERY tough schedule for 6 weeks
What do you recommend if we have only 6 weeks?
How long do you think we need in weeks to our route in a comfortable way?

*BaJo*

Post by *BaJo* » 06 July 11 12:25 am

Taiko'sFamily wrote:I would probably go to a wildlife park instead of all the way out to Dubbo Zoo. You can visit any zoo and see lions etc. Wildlife parks will get you closer to Aussie animals. Check out Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney for example. Jenny
Jo* loves tigers soo much. Therefore we would like to go to Dubbo Zoo.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 06 July 11 5:18 am

If you want Tigers, Dreamworld, a theme park on the Gold Coast also has them. You can even pay extra and get in the cages with them. They also do on leash walks around the public areas with them.

http://www.dreamworld.com.au/Wildlife/T ... hotos.aspx You will, however, pay a hefty price for that experience.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 06 July 11 7:40 am

The Monarto Zoo is a great place, near Adelaide. Lots of large exotic animals in large enclosures. Sort of like the one at Dubbo. Check that out online. It's a lot nearer to your route.

I don't think you'd EVER have enough time to see EVERYTHING! Stick to your budget and time, and fit in what you can. Remember that Australia is a VERY large area, and towns and cities are a long way apart.

The usual rule for caches is that a '5' requires special equipment, although there is no guarantee. If you want to do a particularly difficult one, ask someone, or go to the cache owner.

Wendy

The next Mega Event is planned for Easter 2012.