Night caching in Sydney

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
goldhai

Night caching in Sydney

Post by goldhai » 20 January 11 10:30 pm

Hello Down under,

I am visiting Sydney in February. At the moment I am planning my Cache-routes, putting caches in categories like "have to", "like to", "want to". It looks like I am busy while staying there... :mrgreen:

While my research I was wondering if there are nightcaches in Sydney. Since now I have not found any.
Am I just blind or is nightcaching not very common in Australia?

If there are no special nightcaches.... is it very risky (does that word exist?) to go caching at night in australia because of spiders and other things lurking around?

Would be thankful for an answer before I have to find out myself all alone in a dark park. :shock:

Best wishes from Germany, goldhai

caughtatwork

Re: Night caching in Sydney

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 11 10:46 pm

Known nightcaches in Australia.
http://nightcaching.blogspot.com/p/maps.html

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 20 January 11 10:51 pm

It's not unsafe to cache at night in Sydney and we DO have some lovely night caches. Iin fact, there is a topic here somewhere that lists the night caches. I just can't find it right now. Does someone else have the link?

Philipp
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found
Twitter: derfuzzel

Post by Philipp » 20 January 11 10:55 pm

goldhai wrote:Am I just blind or is nightcaching not very common in Australia?
So sieht's aus mein Freund. Hier sind eher 4WD und schöne Locations angesagt. Insgesamt geht es hier deutlich gemütlicher zu, was sich eben in wenigen Nightcaches und einer nicht vorhandenen T5er Szene ausdrückt.
Wenn es Dir wirklich darum geht ein paar NCs zu finden, dann ist Adelaide das bessere Pflaster.

Cheers aus Melbourne
Philipp

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 20 January 11 10:56 pm

It depends where in Sydney you are staying and if you have transport. There are no night caches in the CBD, all of them are in the suburbs in local bushland reserves. You will need a car to get to them. You can go caching at night but if you go into the bush just be aware that many animals are nocturnal. Take a good torch and gloves and don't put your hand into any holes with out checking what else might use that as it's home.
You can always put a post on this forum and you may find a caching mate who may go out with you one night for a couple of hours.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 11 10:57 pm

blossom* wrote:It's not unsafe to cache at night in Sydney and we DO have some lovely night caches. Iin fact, there is a topic here somewhere that lists the night caches. I just can't find it right now. Does someone else have the link?
What? Am I on your ignore list?

goldhai

Post by goldhai » 21 January 11 4:34 am

Wow.... thank you for your quick answers.

I will stay at my sisters place in Cremorne/Neutral Bay. She has got a car, but she won´t let me drive it. She´s afraid that I might drive on the wrong side of the road. Not that this happened before.... (only once, a little bit....)
Anyway... I am stuck with public transport, which is not too bad.

I had a look at the nightcaches and decited to do just some "normal" caching.
I planned the touristy part in the City, like Botanical garden, Harbour Bridge.
Wollstonecraft/Greenwich ist another place I want to go.
On one day I have to go up to Newport and Palm Beach. On the way there check Curl Curl.

So many Caches and not enough time... After two weeks I will be back home.

I anyone likes to join me, I would be glad. I will bring a lot of Trackables with me and am willing to pay a beer after caching. :mrgreen:

Best wishes, goldhai (Isabel)

goldhai

Post by goldhai » 21 January 11 4:38 am

@Philipp

Ich muss ja nicht zwangsweise nachts raus... aber schön wär´s halt doch.
In Adelaide kann ich leider keine Schwester vorweisen, daher fällt das wohl flach.

Aber danke für den Tipp. :D

Liebe Grüße aus der Heimat.

PS: Melbourne fand ich auch fabelhaft....

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 21 January 11 6:41 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
blossom* wrote:It's not unsafe to cache at night in Sydney and we DO have some lovely night caches. Iin fact, there is a topic here somewhere that lists the night caches. I just can't find it right now. Does someone else have the link?
What? Am I on your ignore list?
Sorry c@w, we were both typing at the same time and I didn't read your post when i submitted mine :oops: You're definitely NOT on my ignore list :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 January 11 10:36 pm

It looks like all of Sydney's night caches are in the northwestern suburbs, plus one down south. Nothing easily accessible by public transport from where you will be staying.

At this time of year though, day or night, if you are caching in bushland one of the first things to pick up as you go in is a long stick. Especially once you get off the track to where the cache might be start waving it in front of you. Not all the spider webs are easily visible, though most spiders won't be home during the day except for the leaf spiders. One positive is none of the web spinners you will find around Sydney are poisonous, they are just annoying.

Also as suggested, look before reaching in to search for a cache. We do run to some venomous spiders that live at ground level, as well as snakes. Neither are likely to kill you with a hospital visit, but it is still something you want to avoid.

I know I've just made caching in Sydney sound horrible, but it's not and there are some wonderful ones along the bush tracks around Sydney - in fact you will probably be surprised just how much bush there is in amongst the suburbs. Just things to be aware of as a visitor who may not have the same hazards at home.

For the area you are staying, one cache I would recommend if slight heights don't worry you is The Golden Egg by Hafrik GC222AR. Fantastic scenery, and not as bad as the 4.5 terrain rating would suggest. The walk there is also surprising - one you will remember.

goldhai

Post by goldhai » 24 January 11 4:00 am

Thank you for the good advise. I think I will enjoy caching in Sydney. :D